question about hand held radar guns | GTAMotorcycle.com

question about hand held radar guns

greg88

Site Supporter
Two bike traveling in the same direction. First bike in the right hand position of the lane, second bike staggered to the left behing the first bike by approx 1 second. Radar unit is a hand held to the right, off to the side on the road shoulder. Assuming a few hundred meters of approach before the radar, how likely is it the the radar unit will get an accurate reading on both bikes?

Thanks

If its a laser. Minimal. The red dot is aimed at the target, and bingo.

The radar will take it's reading off the largest moving mass in its beam and if there's a faster moving smaller mass most units have a highest speed reading that will also detect a faster moving smaller target.

Bottom line is though, the radar is just to confirm the officers observations and estimate of excessive speed. So is he's able to say that two bikes were both moving together at the same excessive speed regardless of which target gave the speed reading he could charge you both with the same speed.

thats just for radar, laser is far more accurate. a laser is accurate upto 1foot over 100 meters.

Thanks. Good points

they only need to nab one of you, if he observes the second bike moving at the same speed, will just give you both the same ticket...

they only need to nab one of you, if he observes the second bike moving at the same speed, will just give you both the same ticket...

Doesent work like that in my experiences. I would say that one would be up to the officer. I got pulled over for speeding once and a buddy i was riding with pulled over with me. The cop got mad at my buddy but didnt give him a ticket cause he said he didnt get him on radar. My buddie was a few bike lengths behind me.

You and the wife get dinged at once? That would suck.

BTW - where did they get you? I'm also in Milton.

Back
Top Bottom