Question about front wheel | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about front wheel

GreenPlane

Hello guys, I'm looking for some GTAM wisdom. It looks like my front wheel is not that straight anymore and according to Union Rim Repair, it can't be fixed. So, now I'm looking for a new front wheel and looks like it is a pretty unique one and there is only 1 on ebay for ~$600 + tax (and this wheel should be drilled for ABS sensor but that's ok). So, I'm wondering if there are any other options.

Some info:
Bike: Suzuki GSX650F 2009
Wheel: 17M/CXMT3.50
Part #: 54111-08F50-019 (with abs mount), 54111-08F70-019 (no abs)

Based on my research, it looks like wheels from other Suzuki bikes will not work (either because of brake discs or axle).

What kind of advice I'm looking for? I'm not sure, I already bought one wheel and after inspection, I found that it wasn't straight either. So, now I'm thinking about buying the last one available atm and just wanted to see if I'm missing something and there is another easier and cheaper way to handle it.

Attachments

• Image 2020-05-13 at 11.58.12 PM.jpeg
    Image 2020-05-13 at 11.58.12 PM.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 25
pick one that has same disks and swap out bearings to fit axle. they are like lego

What's happening to 650 front wheels that end up with so many bent?
I bet it turns out to be bike shops, when they change your tires and brutalize the rim.
Otherwise an awful lot of people must be hitting curbs and pot holes when their tires are very under-inflated.

The problem is not limited to one brand or model, but they are all cast rims, not spoke rims which are far more serviceable.

I bet it turns out to be bike shops, when they change your tires and brutalize the rim.
Otherwise an awful lot of people must be hitting curbs and pot holes when their tires are very under-inflated.

The problem is not limited to one brand or model, but they are all cast rims, not spoke rims which are far more serviceable.

You'd need a pretty big gorilla changing tires to bend a wheel

You'd need a pretty big gorilla changing tires to bend a wheel
Yeah, I was wondering if they had a residual stress problem from the factory and they slowly return to their natural shape (which is bent).

pick one that has same disks and swap out bearings to fit axle. they are like lego

Yeah, I tried that. Looks like there are very few models which have the same brake discs/mounts and most of them 19". I guess it was a strange transition year for Suzuki when they played with axle size, rim and brake mounts.

What's happening to 650 front wheels that end up with so many bent?
Apparently, it doesn't require to much force to get it slightly bent and then vibration on high speed makes it totally unrideable.

The disk mounts differently... not saying it won't work, just the GSF uses 5 bolts in a smaller circle and on two sides
The GSF wheel is the same as GSXR and SV... I think

Actually, e.g. 2007 GSF1250S uses the same brake discs (the same part number) but looks like GSXR and SV are very different, unfortunately.

I believe the same year GSF1250S wheel will fit - check with Tom at NCK Cycle. Home - NCK Cycle

On first look, this wheel works! But then it has a wider middle portion (based on measurements from one of the eBay sellers), different axle and bearings. For example, bearing for this wheel is 25x52x15mm when it is 20x47x14mm for GSX650F wheel. I.e. the diameter of the axle is 25mm vs 20mm.

Similar issue with 2015-16 GSX-S750 front wheel. It looks very similar but the bearing is 22x44x12mm (i.e. 22mm vs 20mm for 650).

I would assume that it is possible to find some other bearings (e.g. 20x44x12mm) but then I will need also custom spacer and oil seal..

Tx for the NCK Cycle link. I will call them tomorrow! Maybe they have something for me..

Last edited:
Have you tried calling the savage yards for a replacement? They sell the wheels whole, bearings rotors etc usually for a pretty good price. Try:

Oshawa cycle salvage
Zdeno cycle
Woodys cycle

Great places to look for a wheel

Just a quick update. I called the places above and looks like no luck. At the same time, one of them told me about PartsHotline.ca site. Looks like it is some kind of aggregator of Canadian salvage yards. The quality of this web portal is really bad (even HTTP only!??!?) but hope it works and I will get something back.

Can't imagine having a ton of luck by calling Woody's, imho you'd have to go there in person and search.
If you phone you are only going to hear about inventoried items.
... it's like nothing you can imagine.

Can't imagine having a ton of luck by calling Woody's, imho you'd have to go there in person and search.
If you phone you are only going to hear about inventoried items.
... it's like nothing you can imagine.
hm.. so, they said that they don't see anything in the inventory and they will check it (I assume someone will check what they have in the yard). Personally, I don't feel like driving 3h one way in order to search their yard when chances to find something are very low. However, I'm very new to this process and never worked with the yards in the past, so any advice is welcome!

Consider this; we are into black fly season and right now it is pouring rain, you are from Toronto and there is a pandemic on,
:/ would you go out there and search for something that somebody described a possible interest in by phone :unsure:

P1010047.jpg

I see.. but isn't it how they make money? It's just hard for me to justify losing 6+ hours of business time (I guess I will need to take a day off which is in the current situation is not a very smart move), especially considering that this is not a very common model.

I guess these yards need some automation. E.g. an inventory of what bikes they have and maybe some photos (old/new doesn't matter, just to have an idea in what condition it was). If I would know that they have e.g. 3 GSX650F then it might be a different story for me.

Problem #1: A search of "17M/CXMT3.50" indicates that it has been used on more then just a Suzuki.
The way it works with scrap yards, the less work and involvement the yard has to do, the cheaper they will sell you the parts you want.

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but isn't 17M/CXMT3.50 is just the size? I'm still pretty new to many of the technical details, so pls correct me if I'm wrong.

So far I had a hard time finding the wheels which will fit my bike (even from Suzuki) because of the brakes/axle..

The way it works with scrap yards, the less work and involvement the yard has to do, the cheaper they will sell you the parts you want.

I get it but they somehow need to find a balance between finding parts and price. I would assume that if they have the wheel then even with the additional fee for their time it would be cheaper than other options.

Anyway, this is basically off-topic as we can't really change the way how scrap yards work. At the same time, it is good to know that they basically have 2 inventories: one over the phone and another one unaccounted in the yard. If I will need some parts for a more common bike then I would definitely try to check it in person.

I might be wrong, but isn't 17M/CXMT3.50 is just the size? I'm still pretty new to many of the technical details, so pls correct me if I'm wrong.

So far I had a hard time finding the wheels which will fit my bike (even from Suzuki) because of the brakes/axle..
Yes it is the size, but scrap yards can't inventory everything by OEM part numbers, it would be impossible. They also don't normally leave motorcycles complete assembled ready for you to need a particular model and year part, then run out and rob just that part off for a potential sale.
If they did you would be paying close to full price for the used parts. But you are catching on (y)

I was going to suggest I could look for one next time I was out there, but other then just looking for 3 spoke rims it would be difficult to identify without the old one in hand.

When I needed a replacement BMW brake master cylinder, I went out and found one with tools in hand, pulled the parts I needed off a completely different year and model BMW that he did have, and cut a deal for it along with some other assorted parts at a fraction of the cost I could source them anywhere else. Scrap yards are definitely better for older obsolete parts, if you have the ability to order new OEM parts, I would always take that option.

Back
Top Bottom