Question about clutch | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about clutch

samurai

Got a fairly new used bike 2008 Vulcan 500 with 1500kms

Question about the clutch, sometimes I feel the clutch wire gets loose (there is play at the lever) when engine is hot and other times I feel it's ok and there is no play usually when engine is cold.

Is that normal? The bike makes a lot of noise sometimes downshifting even when the clutch is presses all the way and sometime when I stop and try to shift down, it won't do it unless I let go the clutch a bit and then press it.

Is there something wrong or I need to adjust something? I didn't find any other adjustment spots for the clutch other than at the lever.

based on your previous posts......take to BIKE shop and get the whole bike looked at and adjusted

Not sure on the Vulcan but there usually an adjuster near where the cable connects to the engine/transmission down low

Do you have a vibration too? Have the dealer check for broken/cracked/loose motor mount or motor mount bolt(s). Especially if under load, you feel the clutch lever free-play disappear. This is the classic symptom you will feel if it's a motor mount.

Other than that, if you feel the free-play disappearing only when it's hot, remember when things get hot, they expand, including clutch springs. This would be a very small expansion tho, and it's generally not felt. But you may get a "NFF" (no fault found) written on the work order, and it may be in fact a perfectly normal idiosyncrasy to that bike.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

No vibration, I just feel they the gap at the clutch lever is less when engine is cold when i start up vs when I get home after a ride.

I tightened it at clutch lever after coming home one day but loosened it aging after one ride because I noticed that it seemed tighter during the ride.

That's how I noticed that it is a bit loose every time I get home.

This is my first bike so its possible that this is normal clutch operation when cold vs hot, I found this thread on google and seems to be same as what I am experiening

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53371

will get the dealer to take a quick look though just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
It needs to always have a small amount of free play. Too much, and you'll never fully disengage the clutch (making downshifting hard) - too little and the clutch will never fully engage, causing it to slip and burn out.

Back
Top Bottom