punching vin number into new frame ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

punching vin number into new frame ?

jon12001

Site Supporter
just wondering if anyone has experience with this or knows someone who can do it. I have a bike with a small crack in the frame and i recently bought a blank one from ebay and now i need to transfer the vin over to it. Now should i even worry about this or just keep my old frame in case it ever was an issue i could prove i still have the original? just need to know what my best option would be for this situation !

let me know what you guys think !

I'm pretty sure the VIN is none transferable.
If its not a stolen frame then I would assume it would have a vin on it, In which you would probably take to the MTO and have them register it to your bike.
The bad news if you don't register it and you write it off the insurance can screw you if they find out.

I would have had the crack welded and then no issue. I don't know where the line is drawn when replacing damaged or rust sections. Is there a percentage of old material that must be retained to keep the status?
If the frame defines the "DNA" of the bike then when you scrap the frame you scrap the bike and things get messy.
Sometimes common sense solutions are illegal.

I would probably have welded up the crack, since I do welding repairs as a buisness.
However, if you want a new frame, you will need a VIN on it to be legal. New replacement frames come without a VIN from the factory. The VIN from the bike it is going into is to be stamped on it. Bike shops do it in the case of warranty or insurance frame replacements. Although it would make me wonder why a new frame is being sold on ebay.
The other way to get an existing VIN onto a new frame is often done by custom bike builders. They will use a damaged frame, cut the steering head off, which contains the VIN, and use that steering head to build a custom frame, which is legal and saves many headaches.

Last edited:
If you are stuck on using the new frame, just have your # punched in the appropriate place. I would not try to transfer through the government, as this can open a large can of worms.

Back in 1981 I was at Pit Shop Bikes on Kingston Road near Galloway. I was talking to Jerry (the owner) and a cop came in. Did not notice what division he was from, the local division was 43. Jerry showed the cop a bike, and the cop pulled out a punch set and put the VIN on the frame of the bike. Jerry told me that the bike had been in an accident and the frame was pooched. They put a brand new frame from Suzuki in the bike, and had the VIN moved over. The cop took the steering head part of the old frame with him when he left. No idea if they still do it or not though. Give your local station a call and ask.

Back in 1981 I was at Pit Shop Bikes on Kingston Road near Galloway. I was talking to Jerry (the owner) and a cop came in. Did not notice what division he was from, the local division was 43. Jerry showed the cop a bike, and the cop pulled out a punch set and put the VIN on the frame of the bike. Jerry told me that the bike had been in an accident and the frame was pooched. They put a brand new frame from Suzuki in the bike, and had the VIN moved over. The cop took the steering head part of the old frame with him when he left. No idea if they still do it or not though. Give your local station a call and ask.

pretty sure cops are not the ones who stamp VIN's into bike frames.

If it were me, I would just stamp the existing VIN onto the new frame, and consider the matter closed. No one will ever be the wiser.

ya because we live in the B.S. land of ontario this is the main reason why i asked about this. In any realistic world you should be able to buy a blank frame from the dealership and have your existing vin punched into it with no questions asked as long as the ownership shows you own the original frame.

Now the frame i have has small cracks in the same spot on both sides of the bike right above the motor mounts. Bike is mint and has never been in an accident but somehow these cracks have developed. It is not uncommon for this to happen on this model of bike which i have found out through forums online. Now my first thought was to have it welded but im not sure how far the cracks go on the inside of the bike. So i figured if i have to strip the bike down i may as well just put a new frame on it. Thats when i won an auction on ebay for almost 1/3 less then what they cost at the dealer. Its brand new and still sealed in the original kawi packaging.

Now i know the best option is to just have it punched and put it back together and call it a day. If you dick around with the ministry there is always the chance that they try to write up the vin as irepairable which is obviously what i want to avoid.

So baiscally if someone knows a person who has good experience with punching numbers STRAIGHT onto frames please send me a pm

pretty sure cops are not the ones who stamp VIN's into bike frames.

If it were me, I would just stamp the existing VIN onto the new frame, and consider the matter closed. No one will ever be the wiser.

I could have been mistaken, but he did show up in a yellow Caravelle, with a red light on top, he was wearing a blue uniform that said Metropolitan Toronto Police on the shoulder, and had a gun. It is possible he was not a cop though.

To the OP. Instead of asking here, why not just call MOT or even your local cop shop and ask them what the proper procedure is. It has to be better than asking anonymous people what they think it should be.

Back
Top Bottom