Proof of Insurance etc... photo copy ok? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Proof of Insurance etc... photo copy ok?

justride

Is it legal in Ontario to show law enforcement a photo copy of my driver's license, proof of insurance, and permit and plate?
I coloured photo copy all three on both side on a signal 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper. And clear taped both side and stuck in motorcycle jacket.
I am good to go?

Pretty sure you have to surrender all original documentation at road side.

Depends on the mood of whoever stopped you.

I renewed with aviva last month for the bikes and car and got sent the digital copies.

I renewed with aviva last month for the bikes and car and got sent the digital copies.
ive received email copies to 'print out' but no digital version i can pull up. - allstate

I got pulled over about a year back from a slightly expired plate sticker and couldn't find my insurance slip. I pulled it up on my phone instead via my insurers website, showed the officer, and they were cool with that. Didn't ticket me for the plate sticker either. Went on my way.

My original registration stays in a safe place at home... Photocopy stores in a compartment under the seat.
Ins. slips...?
They send me a page of them with my renewal so... I tear off one and it gets put under the seat as well.

'Never a problem by then again... I'm not getting pulled over once a week.

with all the rights activists about being pulled over and invasions of privacy etc, i wonder how many ppl who advocate digital copies of their information would actually give a cop their phone...

with all the rights activists about being pulled over and invasions of privacy etc, i wonder how many ppl who advocate digital copies of their information would actually give a cop their phone...
I sure as hell wouldnt. It may cause lots of issues and solves none. They give me five pieces of paper so each vehicle gets one. No need to hand cop unlocked phone (risk of damage, risk of poking around), dead phone battery doesnt get me a ticket (rare for me, much less rare for my wife).

Reactions: JFD
I keep my drivers licence and originals of the ownership and insurance slips for my bike and car in my wallet. I'm the only rider so if stopped on the bike I always have them with me. There is a two-sided photocopy of my car ownership in the glovebox in case my wife is driving the car. She has an original insurance slip because they send a page with multiple copies when we renew. In the past I've driven fleet vehicles which only had photocopies of the ownerships in them; however, the insurance slips in those vehicles were always originals, so I'm just following this example.

Laws have changed.

I have a electronic wallet copy-digital copy for my phone.
I was hoping that was a government site but the comments are from a third party.

I was hoping t was the government saying

"If you have simply forgotten your card, all you will need to do is attend court to show proof of a valid policy and the charge will be cancelled.

However, if you choose to pay the ticket for failure to surrender proof it will go on your driver's abstract. It could also impact your premium, even if you do have a valid and active policy."

I was hoping that was a government site but the comments are from a third party.

I was hoping t was the government saying

"If you have simply forgotten your card, all you will need to do is attend court to show proof of a valid policy and the charge will be cancelled.

However, if you choose to pay the ticket for failure to surrender proof it will go on your driver's abstract. It could also impact your premium, even if you do have a valid and active policy."

Back
Top Bottom