Problem adjusting to turning on a ZX-6R | GTAMotorcycle.com

Problem adjusting to turning on a ZX-6R

Esquire

Hi folks,
The crux of my problem deals with a mental block. I upgraded from a ZZR-250 to a ZX-6R recently and can't trust myself to lean on the turn. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions in this regard, a video or tutorial would help. The one's I've researched on youtube are all poorly described. Maybe someone here can explain better. Maybe I should go on a track and experiment there. I'm also scared about doing leaned-turns on the streets of London ON because there is a lot of debris on the roads. At what point is this a problem? Does anyone know of a track around London?

Cheers,
Thanks for any advice ahead of time,
Adam

Head south from London and get on some of the back roads where there is some good sweepers. I can't imagine having a problem transitioning to your new bike unless you were really timid on the 250 ZZR Ninja before.

I wasn't reserved in terms of turning when I had the 250. A big difference is in balance and weight. I'm leaning forward about 3x as much compared to before. It was easier to lean over when I was upright. Then there's weight. I have to adjust my hips/lean a lot more forcefully. I'm going to ride on those backroads right now Double J, and try to lean more. Thanks. I'll check those tracks out soon too, thanks guys.

The roads are still crap, hold off until they're cleared up a bit before you practise. It's only fake-summer right now ;)

Roads are clear here in Southern Ontario, now Barrie....you are above the polar line. Right, the salt is still being put down. lol

Do you understand push/counter steering? I would recommend you go on EBay and buy the video Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code. This video is excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Roads are clear here in Southern Ontario, now Barrie....you are above the polar line. Right, the salt is still being put down. lol

I'd have a snappy comeback, but the sled dog team is lost in a blizzard. If I don't come back, tell my Ninja I love her. ;)

Are there specific circumstances you really feel unsure of? Real slow, 1st/2nd gear right turns into another street? Clutch/throttle modulation would help. Try figure 8s in a parking lot and try to decrease the radius of the turns. Should be easier for push steering in medium speed sweepers.

You can drag the rear break to help stabilize the bike a bit as well.

Good luck.

Buy/download "A Twist of the Wrist 2 - by Keith Code" !!!!!!!

Really really learn, understand and practice PUSH STEERING

Trust your new machine. It can handle it

Dude, I concur with who said to learn to ride on the 250. Confidence is everything on a bike and you need to get out there and get some real fast.

If it's really that hard, then maybe you moved up too early.

But if you're just not giving yourself enough credit and you're a bit uncomfortable, then just give it time. It takes significantly more effort to push/counter-steer on an ss vs the 250. + 250's are a lot more balanced at low speed...so it's just a matter of getting used to your new bike. Just remember that the majority of your turning input will be coming from your arms, not hanging off the bike or putting weight on the footpegs.

Counter-steering is G*D. I didn't know I was doing it until watching _Twist of the Wrist_. I tried out the back roads around Byron and got a feel for what needed to be done. The roads are fine right now. I kept surprising myself as to how low I got the bike to lean by counter-steering. I made a drastic improvement yesterday just getting over a mental block. I almost ****ed up large when turning wide and thinking I wouldn't make the turn--I tapped the brakes. This caused me to skid a bit but luckily I let go of the brake, counter steered, and made the turn. Now that near death (not really) experience hopefully implanted the muscle memory of counter steering :)

Thanks for all the advice. Just like in that movie, there is a lot of info out there and you just have to see what works for you (what's true).

Back
Top Bottom