Power Commander on 5th Gen VFR | GTAMotorcycle.com

Power Commander on 5th Gen VFR

macphee88

Hi,

I recently bought a 2001 VFR800, and it is basically stock, but I will be installing a Hindle high-mount exhaust, as soon as I get it (18" carbon fibre). I was wondering if there are any 5th generation VFR owners out there that have a Power Commander installed. Basically, I want to get some idea if you noticed a significant difference or not, by having it installed. I read quite a few of the comments from people that purchased the power commander on the Motorcycle Superstore website, and I wanted to put a feeler out there to the fellow forum members.

Thank you
Scott:eek:ccasion5:

Scott,

I have a 2000 VFR with a Power Commander. (and a pipe) The exhaust is nothing extreme and didn't require the Power Commander.
My real issue was the overall running of the bike. It was far too lean under 7000. To the point it would stall if I snapped open the throttle at low RPM. Cruising at highway speed was terrible with so many misses it caused so much vibration.
Back in the day the trick was to get an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and remove the EGO sensors, that added ~ 10% across the board.
I went a different route. Installed a wide band ego sensor, a Power Commander and started making adjustments.
Idle A/F ratio was ~ 18:1, cruise was 16~17:1, under power the A/F actually went a little too rich at times.
The maps available for download all made pretty much the same corrections above 7000 and they seemed to work well. However they all added far too much fuel below 7000. The bike ran great, but fuel economy suffered.
I aimed for 14.5 at idle ~ 14.5 ~ 15 while cruising. Left the upper adjustments.
I haven't made any adjustments in a few years, bike still runs great, average 55 ~ 60 MPG.

If your bike already has the Fuel Pressure Regulator mod (or never needed it) you probably won't get a lot out of installing a Power Commander.

Thanks for the reply. On my first full tank of gas, I only got 45.5 MPG, but that was driving fairly briskly on the highway. The bike runs fine over 5K, it is in the lower revs that it runs a little rough. There isn't any vibration or anything, it is just that it feels like it wants to stall, even though it doesn't.

Thanks Scott

Back
Top Bottom