Powder coating | GTAMotorcycle.com

Powder coating

ruffriders

Hey riders
Just picked up a 1980 cb750, going to strip it to the frame and want to get the frame powder coated, any recommendations for powder coating?
Opinions needed, should I restore to original or go to a cafe racer/brat

Love the cafe racers. Really depends on u and what u want to do with it. Restore to show or make it into something cool to ride.

Love the cafe racers. Really depends on u and what u want to do with it. Restore to show or make it into something cool to ride.
Daily rider for sure, that’s the way I’m leaning also cheers

Cafe isn't my taste so I say restore as vintage. The trouble is getting decent stock parts for some older bikes. Restoration isn't a cheap or profitable hobby but OK if you enjoy it.

Paint is better for restoration. You can touch it up if it gets chipped. Get involved with the CVMG. Tons of bikes just like yours.

Just a word of advice from experience. Be very sure that whoever does your powdercoating knows what they are doing. EVERYTHING that can be disassembled, must be! Sleeves, bushings, grease nipples etc must be removed. There cannot be ANY grease anywhere. Any threaded holes or studs must be protected. Ground points for electrical components can't have coating on them either.Removing it afterwards is a nightmare.

Just a word of advice from experience. Be very sure that whoever does your powdercoating knows what they are doing. EVERYTHING that can be disassembled, must be! Sleeves, bushings, grease nipples etc must be removed. There cannot be ANY grease anywhere. Any threaded holes or studs must be protected. Ground points for electrical components can't have coating on them either.Removing it afterwards is a nightmare.
The second part of this is a proper powder coating job takes a lot of labour and therefore it's not cheap. The more prep work you can do before dropping off the frame, the cheaper it should be.

JohnnyP636 does excellent work.

Paint is better for restoration. You can touch it up if it gets chipped. Get involved with the CVMG. Tons of bikes just like yours.
"Restore" is defined as "return to original condition".
1980 CB750s didn't come with a powder coated frame, so if you powder coat the frame on your 1980 CB750 you're not restoring it, you're MODIFYING it, and would actually be removing value from your bike.
Powder coating a welded steel frame is a bad idea. If a weld cracks, and they do, you won't see it. The powder coat is too thick and too elastic and will not crack... paint does.

Media blast the frame and SOAK it in Tremclad. Looks like powder coat, nice finish and it lasts FOREVER. (While the frame is bare check over all the welds, particularly around the steering head and swing arm pivot, and maybe touch them up)(oh, and I would square up the ends of that removable downtube).

Cool bike. Is it an F or a K?

Rattle can it - who knows how many times you'll have it together and apart before you're finally satisfied.

I'm working on my 74 Commando and I've got very good results with rattle cans. It takes practice, spending the time on surface prep, using a primer, and leaving the parts until the paint cures. It works well, at least to my eye. I'm not going to rattle can the tank and side covers of course, but brackets and frame/frame parts are fair game. It's certainly budget friendly, and trust me - you'll be thankful for ANY savings you can find along the way.

Mike at Brightside customs is likely one of the best coaters in the area, Excellent mechanical knowledge makes for an excellent powder coater. You wont be disappointed. This stuff is his niche

I wouldn't bother with powdercoat -- it's expensive ($500-800), the prep is time consuming, and it doesn't add value unless your're building a show bike or changing the frame to a brilliant color (if that was the case I doubt you'd be asking the rabble for advice). $20 worth of outdoor (UV Protected) Tremclad or Rustoleum, by the quart or in rattle cans should be an exact match and superior quality to the OE pain on the frame of a CB750. Tear it down, 1) degrease, 2) inspect, repair & dress welds, 3) scuff and paint. Save the dough, put it into another part of the build.

As for restore, vs custom, it really depends on your personal preference. An '80 CBR 750 isn't collectible so there's no financial harm in converting it to a cafe, bobber or even a chopper. A build like this is gonna be a labour of love (and probably an expensive one!), so do something you will get a kick out of riding.

An old friend has a big collection of Brit bikes. He does the frames with tremclad and bristle brushes. The result is amazing, but he has had a lot practice. It's all about the prep.

"Restore" is defined as "return to original condition".
1980 CB750s didn't come with a powder coated frame, so if you powder coat the frame on your 1980 CB750 you're not restoring it, you're MODIFYING it, and would actually be removing value from your bike.
Powder coating a welded steel frame is a bad idea. If a weld cracks, and they do, you won't see it. The powder coat is too thick and too elastic and will not crack... paint does.

Media blast the frame and SOAK it in Tremclad. Looks like powder coat, nice finish and it lasts FOREVER. (While the frame is bare check over all the welds, particularly around the steering head and swing arm pivot, and maybe touch them up)(oh, and I would square up the ends of that removable downtube).

Cool bike. Is it an F or a K?
Thanks for all the advice, it’s a K only 20k it’s been rode a bit every year, owned for 32 years from a guy who owns lots of bikes and took all the steps to store every season, inside the tank is still shining

Back
Top Bottom