potential new rider. insurance with prior tickets? | GTAMotorcycle.com

potential new rider. insurance with prior tickets?

shuhan

Hey all,

3 or 4 years ago I had a pretty hefty fine when I went 151 heading south on the 404 up in Newmarket around 12pm.
Got my car impounded for $2000 and lost my license for a week.
I took the prosecutor's plea bargain, instead of 151 in 100km zone it was reduced to 149 with a ~$300 fine and 4 demerit points.

Anyway would insurance be ridiculous for a 21 year old with a full G license and that kind of a conviction? (49 over)

How much would I expect to pay to insure say an '08 kawi 250r each month?

Last edited:
You will have to call the insurance companies and see what they say...

Go to the MTO and purchase a driver's abstract. This will tell you exactly what the insurance company will see. This will give you a better idea on what you will be facing.

Also, it would still be possibile to write the M1 and move on to the M2 which is valid for 5 years. If your abstract isn't clean but some of the charges are close to being dropped then you could simply wait a year or so before getting the bike and still be ahead of the game when it comes to the minimum time you need to have the M2 for.

Since your ticket was reduced to 49 over the speed limit, this is considered a "minor conviction". The insurance company will treat you 49 over conviction the exact same as if you were caught doing 10 over (in other words, the ticket really isn't that big of a deal). If you were caught over three years ago, then it will already be off your record. The older conviction that you mentioned was off your record long ago. Order your driver's abstract from the MTO -- it's possible that your record is already "perfect" if you haven't had any other convictions in the last three years.

Now, with all that being said, insurance isn't cheap for 21yo riders even with a perfect record. Your first year is expensive, so it is in your best interest to get your M1/M2 a full year before purchasing a bike, and then purchasing insurance through Jevco.

Also, if you let "rage get the better of you" on occasion, then perhaps riding a bike isn't a good match for you. If you don't keep a level head at all times, you can end up hurting yourself badly.

Since your ticket was reduced to 49 over the speed limit, this is considered a "minor conviction". The insurance company will treat you 49 over conviction the exact same as if you were caught doing 10 over (in other words, the ticket really isn't that big of a deal). If you were caught over three years ago, then it will already be off your record. The older conviction that you mentioned was off your record long ago. Order your driver's abstract from the MTO -- it's possible that your record is already "perfect" if you haven't had any other convictions in the last three years.

Now, with all that being said, insurance isn't cheap for 21yo riders even with a perfect record. Your first year is expensive, so it is in your best interest to get your M1/M2 a full year before purchasing a bike, and then purchasing insurance through Jevco.

Also, if you let "rage get the better of you" on occasion, then perhaps riding a bike isn't a good match for you. If you don't keep a level head at all times, you can end up hurting yourself badly.

thanks this is what I wanted to know. I downloaded my abstract online... The 49 over offence date was in june of '08 but was convicted in march of '09. So I guess it wont be come from my record until three years after the conviction date? Also the demerit points go away sooner than the actual conviction does? I ask because it says my current demerit point total is '00'.

On another note... so if I need to wait a full year after getting my M2 license so I don't get hit hard with insurance, this means I shouldn't bother to ride or practice until a year later?

thanks this is what I wanted to know. I downloaded my abstract online... The 49 over offence date was in june of '08 but was convicted in march of '09. So I guess it wont be come from my record until three years after the conviction date? Also the demerit points go away sooner than the actual conviction does? I ask because it says my current demerit point total is '00'.

On another note... so if I need to wait a full year after getting my M2 license so I don't get hit hard with insurance, this means I shouldn't bother to ride or practice until a year later?

Find yourself a nice riding school. You'll write your test and learn to ride and take your m1 exit to get your m2 in a weekend. Once you got your m2 you got it for 5 years.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

In March 2012, you will have a spotless record as far as insurance is concerned. This is great timing, because it is right at the beginning of the riding season :)

My suggestion is that you get your license now (find a course as Venom suggested) and then wait until August 2012 to buy your own bike. Your insurance with Jevco will be about 40% cheaper in the first year if you do it in this way. A little forethought really pays off . . . you really should have done the course in April so that you could insure promptly at the beginning of next season at the cheaper rate.

So I have a more applicable question now that I have completed my rider training course. I will go to pick up my M2 around October 5th.

Are bikes really sold a lot cheaper at the end of the riding season compared to say in March? I would like to buy now but I may not necessarily insure now because I want to wait until March for my clean record.
Will I have any issues if I have an uninsured vehicle?(as long as i dont ride it)
If insurance is unaffordable at this time should I just wait until March to buy my bike?
If the insurance hike on a 49 over minor conviction is really small I may consider insuring now as well just so I can squeeze in some practice while rider training is still fresh in my mind.

Questions on my mind now are basically - When should i buy? and When should I insure?

Viffer - I know you suggested that I wait until August next year but I'd really like to ride sooner while I still remember rider training. My question is, If i choose to insure right when I get my M2 in October - once March comes and my record becomes clean will my insurance still have a premium on it because my insurance history shows that I had a conviction in the past?

So I have a more applicable question now that I have completed my rider training course. I will go to pick up my M2 around October 5th.

Are bikes really sold a lot cheaper at the end of the riding season compared to say in March? I would like to buy now but I may not necessarily insure now because I want to wait until March for my clean record.
Will I have any issues if I have an uninsured vehicle?(as long as i dont ride it)
If insurance is unaffordable at this time should I just wait until March to buy my bike?
If the insurance hike on a 49 over minor conviction is really small I may consider insuring now as well just so I can squeeze in some practice while rider training is still fresh in my mind.

Questions on my mind now are basically - When should i buy? and When should I insure?

Viffer - I know you suggested that I wait until August next year but I'd really like to ride sooner while I still remember rider training. My question is, If i choose to insure right when I get my M2 in October - once March comes and my record becomes clean will my insurance still have a premium on it because my insurance history shows that I had a conviction in the past?

Just like anything else, the sale price of a bike is on a market demand basis. Since people aren't riding over the Winter, there should be an increase in the people wanting to sell (since they don't want to store it all winter) and a decrease in people wanting to buy (again, because you can't ride in the winter and no one wants to buy a bike just to park it for 6MO). From ECON101, as Supply Increases and Demand Decreases, Price decreases.

supply-demand-curve.png

Regarding your second question: if you start your policy now, your insurance premium will not be adjusted for your clean record until your next renewal one year later. The insurance company will not adjust your premium midterm as your record cleans up. Likewise, should you incur a conviction midterm, the company will not increase your premium until your next renewal.

Depending on your stats and the company, I'm not sure how the minor speeding conviction will affect you. Call around and get some quotes both with and without the conviction on your record, and then make the decision whether you want to buy a bike now or later.

Back
Top Bottom