Port Dover: What is the draw? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Port Dover: What is the draw?

DucatiDan

Ok, so I need some help here. What is the draw of Port Dover on Friday the 13th? I have never been and actually want to be interested in it but all I seem to read on here is complaints about traffic/parking/accommodations/gas and I really don't understand the draw. Looking at road maps of the area, the roads look relatively uninteresting. If I get a day to ride (doesn't happen very often), I'm more likely to head north to the Kawarthas/Muskokas. So can someone help me out? What is it that draws so many people to PD on the 13th?

Look at some bikes and talk to other riders I guess?

I've never been on a bike but I did have the misfortune of having to drive through the city on a friday the 13th and that traffic is DEFINITELY not worth it for me.

It is just a "tourist trap" type of event. Terrible traffic, overpriced food and beverages, and what could best be described as a "flea market" with mostly junk chinese leather goods way overpriced. Some of the summer time ones you can women scantily dressed, (But you need not go that far to see that), but not likely today near the lake it won't be anywhere near the projected high of 18.... But Thong Man will no doubt be there..lol

As Jerry Agar just said on the radio when asked if he was going to dover after his show ended at noon...he said NO when I get on my bike I want to ride not stand around with a bunch of people I don't know" He then said I will do that for charity events for a good cause like the Highway of Heroes Ride.

Also heard about an hour ago of an accident involving a motorcycle in Hamilton somewhere they said it was likely someone headed to Dover and traffic reporter, urged cagers to be mindful of "all the motorcycles on the road today"

Last edited:
...and traffic reporter, urged cagers to be mindful of "all the motorcycles on the road today"

It would be great if they would remind people to be mindful of all the motorcycles, cyclists and cars all of the time. This shouldn't be reserved for special occasions.... :rolleyes:

Ok, so I need some help here. What is the draw of Port Dover on Friday the 13th? I have never been and actually want to be interested in it but all I seem to read on here is complaints about traffic/parking/accommodations/gas and I really don't understand the draw. Looking at road maps of the area, the roads look relatively uninteresting. If I get a day to ride (doesn't happen very often), I'm more likely to head north to the Kawarthas/Muskokas. So can someone help me out? What is it that draws so many people to PD on the 13th?

To attract the attention of law enforcement to one concentrated place so the rest of us can go elsewhere and ride ;)

BTW. I posted a link in the Multimedia section of the live cam so you can see what you're missing.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...f-Port-Dover&p=2409747&viewfull=1#post2409747

Last edited:
It's basically to say you were there. There will be some stuff for sale, mostly t-shirts and cruiser style leather stuff. Novelty accessories like belts, wallet chains, bandanas etc. Some places might have some live music. It's just a chance to see and be seen. Years ago I went a couple of times and while I was happy to say I'd been there and seen it, I regretted the second trip there. After those two years, my riding buddies and I used to book the day off and plan a great ride somewhere with scenery, twisty roads, and NO TRAFFIC!

Mostly a pirate convention

It's not for everybody for sure. I personally don't like crowds, standing around rather than riding, loud pipes saving lives, and an excessive number of identically vested pirates.

And that old thong dude, now that's something to avoid.

But for those who love PD13, enjoy. I love going to Port Dover, fish and chips by the beach. When it's empty.

I went twice.

Once to see what it was that attracted all these people on motorcycles.

The second time to see what I must have missed the first time, which as it turns out wasn't much.

I don't get it either, unless it's like the ultimate Timmy's poseathon.

Last edited:
so you can get a patch for your vest full of patches.

Typical cruiser fare...

Watching the "live " feed of main street makes you wish you were d--d!

Yawn Yawnovich

Last edited:
Pose Fest - That is it. It is a social event, not really a riders event IMO. Went once after abandoning a really boring GTAM group ride, wouldn't go again.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really do wish I was interested in going but that isn't really my scene. Maybe a non Friday the 13th ride to PD for lunch then ride elsewhere afterwards would make a bit more sense.

I am not a fan of a black leather either, never went to one

I went down today. I had never been and it was only to say I had been.
I got there around 9:30. Parking was already three streets over from Main.
I walked around a bit. Looked at $5 tee shirts being sold for $20, had a beer and a burger at a bar and left about 12:30.
I would estimate there were about 5,000 bikes when I arrived. I saw another 5,000 heading for Port Dover as I was riding back to Hamilton.
It was a nice day once the rain stopped.
Scratch one off my bucket list.

Last edited:
I went down today. I had never been and it was only to say I had been.
I got there around 9:30. Parking was already three streets over from Main.
I walked around a bit. Looked at $5 tee shirts being sold for $20, had a beer and a burger at a bar and left about 12:30.
I would estimate there were about 5,000 bikes when I arrived. I saw another 5,000 heading for Port Dover as I was riding back to Hamilton.
It was a nice day once the rain stopped.
Scratch one off my bucket list.

Wouldnt be on MY bucket list,lol

PD13 is the opposite of Woodstock. Nobody admits being there.

thanks for the laugh.

yearrrrrrrrr... me hearties
actually, Port Perry Timmies is bit of a pirate meetup. Ive seen some even bring their deck chairs there. I usually ride past - DQ is a better option - Ice Cream

Back
Top Bottom