Please help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Please help

Jetpack

Site Supporter
Got a 1984 yamaha maxim 400 Took her to get fixed at TO cycle salvage on lakeshore...Paid 600 for carb clean up among other things...When I got her back, she was running fine, rode for a day, then when I was on the highway(with a passenger), i opened the throttle fully, and then the bike started to slow down and give up on me...I managed to keep her running...and while we were on the way home, after we got off the highway, it stalled on me, I was lucky enough that another biker came by to help me out, we kept trying to start her up, and after a few dozen tries, she got going, then ran for another 5 minutes...and stalled again...after this time, the only way to get her started was to prime it and have the choke out. When it starts I turn it back from prime to on, and close the choke...she stalls. Started it again(same way) and as I closed the choke, I opened the throttle, just enough to keep the rpms high enough to keep from stalling, so, I limped home...after parking, I tried starting her up, just curious to see if she'll idle, and it made a loud bang, and was running...so I played it safe and just put her in the garage to wait it out. So I tried starting her up again, and she stalls almost whatever I try. Talked to a mechanic and he said it might be a problem with the adjustment on the carb for the air fuel mixture, please help, this is my first bike and I know very little about motorcycles

Sounds like the fuel petcock is no working as it should be. If it runs on prime, it may be the fuel pickup for the ON position is clogged. Could also be a clogged fuel filter. Or the vent for the gas tank may be blocked.

Back
Top Bottom