Please help with hot start plunger off my '03 YZF450 (Keihin) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Please help with hot start plunger off my '03 YZF450 (Keihin)

Modeboy

Hi Everyone,

The hot start plunger on my '03 YZF450 was seized, and I broke the cable and the plunger itself trying to get it out of the carburetor (Keihin).

Once I got it out, I ordered the two parts from a local Yammy dealer. The schematics were very vague with the way it looked (Yamaha seems to use the same picture for all YZ/WR bikes from 03-09), so i wasn't sure what I was going to get. At the very best I didn't think there would be much of an issue since the Keihin carbs are used on these models.

When the parts came in, the plunger was completely different. It looks like it's steel (as opposed to brass) and the shape is completely different but it fits OK in the hole for the hot start. The cable itself is also different, it has an adjuster on the bar end and the sheath is too long so the end of the cable doesn't make it's way all the way through the housing (even fully adjusted in) as it did with my original one, so something is fishy here. I am not the original owner of this bike, and I am not able to contact the person, so I am flying blind.

I brought the part back to the dealer along with my original plunger. They confirmed the correct part# and also that my VIN and the serial number on my engine was from an '03 450 (and I also tried confirming it successfully through google). They basically said they don't know what is wrong here, so I'll prob need to figure out what to do next myself :-(

I was wondering if anyone has had their hot start plunger assembly apart off their '03-05 YZF/WR? I have a picture below of my original pieces, do they look like the stock parts from that bike? I have other parts that I want to use on the bike (internal seals), but now I'm paranoid that these parts might be wrong too.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Modeboy/ORIGINAL_HOT_START_ASSEMBLY.jpg

What I do know is that the cable and plunger itself wont work with my current spring and housing. Even if I were to fix my old cable, it will still not work with the current spring as the spring and the plunger don't seem to work properly together. I am a little hesitant to just go and purchase them blindly to see if they work as I think the shop might charge me to send parts back and I'll be out even more $.

Thanks for your time, any input would be great!

Last edited:
In case anyone else comes across this post looking for info, I think those pieces were from an aftermarket Doug Dubach Racing Hot start assembly.

Back
Top Bottom