Pinlock Visor At Night? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pinlock Visor At Night?

Flywheel

Just picked up a new modular helmet, which came with a Pinlock visor insert. The packaging warns not to use the the visor at night. What does the Pinlock do? Cause distortion in low-light conditions? I commute regularly, often in the evenings. Thanks in advance.

The warning is that it *could* cause multiple reflections from the streetlights and car lights in front of you.

Emphasis on "could". I've used Pinlocks for years in multiple helmets and very often at night time. There are more reflections than daytime, but it's not that distracting that it would cause you to crash. Try it out once, take it out if you find it distracting.

Just picked up a new modular helmet, which came with a Pinlock visor insert. The packaging warns not to use the the visor at night. What does the Pinlock do? Cause distortion in low-light conditions? I commute regularly, often in the evenings. Thanks in advance.
Pinlock takes care of fogging. I have it in my helmet and nothing in the manual about not using it at night.

Yeah, depending on the visor angle you can get doubled halos from oncoming headlights and street lights. It is noticeable but I've never found it to be especially distracting. It is a pretty minor tradeoff for having a totally fog free visor

I use the yellow pinlock insert if I do find myself riding at night. Seems to help with my so-so night vision. Never really noticed double reflections.

I have the GT-AIR from Shoei. Clear visor with clear pin-lock and the drop-down sun-shade. No issues with vision at night using it. Also never have to deal with fog. If there are halos or whatever from lights, I'm not paying attention to it to notice.

Heh I just dug into this a bunch since I actually noticed the reflection/glare issue at night with my clear visor. But from what I've gathered online, the design of your helmet/visor along with personal preference will dictate whether you want to use it at night or not.

The do not use at night thing is more or less just a liability thing, so forget it.

Just for reference, I have a HJC FG-17. I use a dark smoked visor during the day and put the clear one back on for nighttime. I noticed the first time I went out at night, the glare/reflections were very distracting. I found out later it might've been due to the pinlock, and when I went out again without it on I confirmed that was the issue. It seems like how close the visor is to your eyes along with the angle your visor is at relative to the light sources will determine more than anything how much glare/reflection you see. Then of course it depends how much that bothers you. I personally find it rather bothersome/distracting, so I prefer to ride without the pinlock at night and deal with the fogging.

I have the HJC FG-17 as well. There is definitely some light refraction in the outer edges of my FOV with the Pinlock, but in all honesty, I quit 'noticing' them after a day or two.

I have the HJC FG-17 as well. There is definitely some light refraction in the outer edges of my FOV with the Pinlock, but in all honesty, I quit 'noticing' them after a day or two.

I think my eyesight at night is a little wonky, I've noticed even in my mid 20's the starburst around headlights at night is getting worse. I try not to ride/drive at night too much. So it's probably more than I see more of it than most people.

Pinlock takes care of fogging. I have it in my helmet and nothing in the manual about not using it at night.

The Pinlock was in a separate sleeve inside the helmet box. Amongst all the other printing, there is a small "WARNING, For Daytime Use Only" on the sleeve, not in the helmet manual proper. The Internet seemed to suggest that Pinlocks block a small amount of light, thus running afoul of EU regulations regarding visor transparency. Maybe NA too. Therefore, WARNING. I might give it a try, but between my glasses, inner sun-visor, outer visor and windscreen edge, there's a lot of "lines" in my field of view. Not sure if I want another layer between my peepers and freedom. My glasses and inner visor still fog up anyhow as the heavy rain showed me today. Digging not having to remove my glasses while donning/removing the helmet (HJC IS-MAX 2 in case anyone wants to know). That was always my pet peeve getting ready to ride.

I have used pinlock with the self darkening insert. Rode the smokie mountians with no fogging issues. At night I get a double image reflection from the street lights...hold a lighter up to your double glazed window and u will see 2 images of the flame....same effect.... **** at night in the rain but great during the day..saves from carrying 2 visors.

Mine also warns against riding in a tucked or crouched position with a pinlock. Death or serious injury may result.

Back
Top Bottom