Picking Up New 2018 Suzuki GSX-S1000 Soon | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Picking Up New 2018 Suzuki GSX-S1000 Soon

Thanks for the comments @xrljoel but I'll have to respectfully disagree on the high beams. I've seen other bikes do it headed towards me and it wasn't hard on the eyes at all. The extra visibility I get FAR out weighs the minuscule inconvenience the odd car may have with it.

The most common comment from cagers that take out a biker is SMIDSY (sorry mate I didn't see you) so my safety is what counts here (within reason of course).

Regarding the blind spot mirrors, yes I'll sometimes do a head check when changing lanes (when there's the possibility of a car 2 lanes away merging into the same lane I want to go into) but not always as I can see the lane beside me in the convex mirrors. And guess what, when you look over your shoulder on a head check you're not seeing what's in front of you and depending on speed, you'll cover a good distance blind. Looking at the convex mirrors just takes a side glance or a very small head turn so you can still see ahead.

Furthermore, ever been riding and there's a car in your blind spot (texting possibly or who knows) and you do not know they're there until some time later? With the convex mirrors, you can see them there and speed up to get away.

I'm not trying to impose my safety habits on anyone, just explaining what's kept me from getting into a single accident in 30+ years of driving and so far 5 riding. Just trying to perhaps help others re-think their habits as I do when I read others views.

We're all in here for the same reasons - to enjoy this awesome hobbie/sport and stay safe.

I'm not trying to impose my safety habits on anyone, just explaining what's kept me from getting into a single accident in 30+ years of driving and so far 5 riding. Just trying to perhaps help others re-think their habits as I do when I read others views.

We're all in here for the same reasons - to enjoy this awesome hobbie/sport and stay safe.
Fair post.

I'd say the constant view of your blind spot has more merit then not having to turn your head. That just reads like someone who should actually improve on scanning their surroundings.

Accidents suck. You can do everything right and still end up in one.

Regarding the blind spot mirrors, yes I'll sometimes do a head check when changing lanes (when there's the possibility of a car 2 lanes away merging into the same lane I want to go into) but not always as I can see the lane beside me in the convex mirrors. And guess what, when you look over your shoulder on a head check you're not seeing what's in front of you and depending on speed, you'll cover a good distance blind. Looking at the convex mirrors just takes a side glance or a very small head turn so you can still see ahead.

Furthermore, ever been riding and there's a car in your blind spot (texting possibly or who knows) and you do not know they're there until some time later? With the convex mirrors, you can see them there and speed up to get away.

Speaking of those blind spot mirrors, they're essential on both cars and bikes, every single vehicle I have owned the first thing I do is grab the blind spot mirrors from Canadian Tire and slap em on stock mirrors. They're life savers, and anybody who doesn't have one or doesn't even know about them can't drive worth a ****. I would go as far to say they should be mandatory an all vehicles.

Reactions: LBV
Absolutely what I also do @The Road Warrior. I actually stopped at the Cdn Tire before picking up the Gixxus to purposely pick up a pair to put on the new bike before I even left the dealership.

And, yes @Evoex I scan my surroundings but there's an advantage to ALSO having the mirrors over NOT having them. The mirrors do not prevent you from still doing a shoulder check. It's a win-win.

Thinking about what @xrljoel had said about the high beams annoying drivers in their rear view mirrors, I've decided to alter my habit and turn them off when I'm in SLOW stop & go traffic as there's no benefit at that point. Once traffic separates out and the risk of someone not seeing me and cutting me off presents itself again, they're back on though.

Learn from each other!

And, yes @Evoex I scan my surroundings but there's an advantage to ALSO having the mirrors over NOT having them. The mirrors do not prevent you from still doing a shoulder check. It's a win-win.
Agreed, hence my comment.

I suppose i read into your statement about not hitting the car in front as you trying to eliminate that shoulder check.

Reactions: LBV

Back
Top Bottom