Picking up a Ninja 250 Monday.... tires? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Picking up a Ninja 250 Monday.... tires?

tsdexter

I'm picking up a 2008 Green Ninja 250r on Monday, it needs new tires for safety. I've looked at the tire guide thread, but I'm looking for suggestions on where to get a good price on tires and personal opinion for what you'd suggest for the 250r... I'm a beginner.

In Barrie I got a quote for a Michelin Pilot Activ rear for $210 and another quote, not sure the model for $256... Seems high compared to online prices.. which makes sense but it still seems excessive.

Thanks,
Thomas

Just spoke to Competition Cycle in Whitby earlier this week, said he had sick deals on nice sticky tires for the Ninja 250 actually.

buy sport demons they dont last as long as others but are by far the most sticky tires, rain or shine.

Just spoke to Competition Cycle in Whitby earlier this week, said he had sick deals on nice sticky tires for the Ninja 250 actually.

Whitbys a little far, but may be worth it, I'll give em a call, thanks.

I recently replaced the stock IRC tires with Dunlop GT 501. I paid around $300 for both front and rear + included installation. So far very happy with the tires. These tires came out ahead of the Pirellies , Bridegstone, Michelin in a recent English review (see ningette .org for link). They handled just as good yet last longer.

Here is the link: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9780

Last edited:
I recently replaced the stock IRC tires with Dunlop GT 501. I paid around $300 for both front and rear + included installation. So far very happy with the tires. These tires came out ahead of the Pirellies , Bridegstone, Michelin in a recent English review (see ningette .org for link). They handled just as good yet last longer.

Here is the link: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9780

Thanks I looked at that, the review is for a heavier 500cc bike and they were tested at the track, so the results may be skewed for a ninja... that review puts Avons at the top which I read at ninjette that Avon is terrible on the 250 maybe even dangerous.

Im down to the GT501, BT45 and sport demon.. Do you think the stickier sport demon might be better for a noob? They're cheaper which is nice but only by a few bucks and will get less life.

Whered you get the GT501? It looks like Pete's doesn't have them and his prices are awesome! Unfortunately Im not sure how I'll mount them since I won't be able to ride until I have new tires and I don't have stands to take the wheels off and bring with me in the car...

Last edited:
On the sport demons?

I'm looking at those, the GT501 and the BT45... Surprisingly the sport demons are cheapest at Pete's superbikes..

Yes. I don't know anyone to run GT's cause they have never been in stock. The BT's don't get the same praise at the sport demons.

I just bought them from the dealer - Kahuna. They gave me a good price since it was end of season and I bought the tires from the same place as the install. The GT 501 was actually a stock tire , similiar to the BT 45 in 2008. Then Kawi switched to the IRC for the 2009 up. To be honest all the tires mentioned here are more than adequate for a new rider. Even the IRC are good tires. I never had any issues with them. I replaced them at around 12,000 km and I had at least 30-40% tread left in the rear and over 60% left in the front.

not the same bike as what you have, but same tires Pirelli Sport Demons, I just got them from Pete's........very nice I think

P1090100.jpg

I just bought them from the dealer - Kahuna. They gave me a good price since it was end of season and I bought the tires from the same place as the install. The GT 501 was actually a stock tire , similiar to the BT 45 in 2008. Then Kawi switched to the IRC for the 2009 up. To be honest all the tires mentioned here are more than adequate for a new rider. Even the IRC are good tires. I never had any issues with them. I replaced them at around 12,000 km and I had at least 30-40% tread left in the rear and over 60% left in the front.

Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking GT501 or BT45 for better tread life.. Do you know what the difference is in tread wear? Some people says the pirellis get half the life?

not the same bike as what you have, but same tires Pirelli Sport Demons, I just got them from Pete's........very nice I think

Nice! I'm leaning towards the pirellis but some people are saying they get half the tread life... thoughts?

I cant speak on behalf of the Pirellie tread life. You can probably do a search on the ningette forum. Im sure they have many reviews there. But if that tire comparison review is any indication, the Pirellie's wont last as long. If tread life is a priority, then why not just go for the Dunlops? Unless you are going to track the bike , I seriously doubt you will be able to tell the difference between the BT 45, Dunlop GT 501 or the Pirelli Sport Demons. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom