Petition calls for action on 507 after another fatal Peterborough County crash | GTAMotorcycle.com

Petition calls for action on 507 after another fatal Peterborough County crash

ReSTored

Things continue to heat re the 507 and speeding motorcyclists.

Local residents have organized an online petition.

No doubt you're going to see some focused enforcement next season.
Some of the comments on the petition are pretty bad. We all know some of the stupidity that happens but seeing it actually in writing makes it hard for politicians to ignore.

"This has to stop. Passed a few weeks ago by 4 bikers going 150+ with a guy hanging out the sunroof of a car in front of them filming. Unable to reach OPP to report."

Your news article also talk about designating 507 as a community safety zone. It is clearly not deserving of that title, that is just a mechanism to allow photo radar.

It may be a cheat to introduce photo radar, but so what? As long as the road is posted, you know what the deal is and what the consequences are.
I was on 507 that day with a buddy and had to detour. We had some 'spirited riding' but neither went wide on a turn or passed in a blind area. If we knew that photo radar was in the area, we would have gone slower. In reality though, we would have just picked another road.
I'm not sure what action can be taken that won't just move the problem somewhere else. I'm going to find different twisties to enjoy just because of the notoriety that the 507 has gained. Obviously, I'm not against riding fast, but using a public road for time trials is way over the line.

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

It may be a cheat to introduce photo radar, but so what? As long as the road is posted, you know what the deal is and what the consequences are.
I was on 507 that day with a buddy and had to detour. We had some 'spirited riding' but neither went wide on a turn or passed in a blind area. If we knew that photo radar was in the area, we would have gone slower. In reality though, we would have just picked another road.
I'm not sure what action can be taken that won't just move the problem somewhere else. I'm going to find different twisties to enjoy just because of the notoriety that the 507 has gained. Obviously, I'm not against riding fast, but using a public road for time trials is way over the line.

I am not entirely against photo radar if set at a reasonable limit (85th percentile speed is a great start so probably ~20 km/h over posted speed). Setting it a 1 km/h over posted speed as some municipalities have done is disingenuous fundraising, not public safety. Posted speeds are a figment of politicians imagination, road design determines the safe travel speed and the vast majority of drivers travel at that speed (which is well represented by the 85th percentile speed).

As for photo radar affecting the time trials. Anyone running 507 at 150+ probably has a flip plate anyway. It would be dumb not to. Again, this solution will nail the average person while completely failing to deal with the problem vehicles.

People signing the petition are probably thinking it's a simple problem with a simple solution

I don't think we're going to see photo radar. As per one of the petition comments says, I think we're going to have a couple of weekends where the OPP is going to run very aggressive enforcement. They'll catch people running over seizure speed, there will be a trailer full of impounded bikes, play this up on the media and things will then quieten down for a while. Once ticketed people get to court the fine is $2,000 to $10,000, is found guilty the court can hammer people with a much larger fine than the minimum.

As to flip plates, this may work for photo radar, but in a speed trap enforcement process on the 507 there is really nowhere to go or run to. Once you're on the 507 you're going to be locked in depending on where the OPP decide to set up.

This will be interesting to watch.

As to flip plates, this may work for photo radar, but in a speed trap enforcement process on the 507 there is really nowhere to go or run to. Once you're on the 507 you're going to be locked in depending on where the OPP decide to set up.

This will be interesting to watch.
Agree. Real bodies on the ground are needed occasionally. It would be trivially easy for a cop on an outcropping to radar a group and then they physically close the road above and below to avoid any running nonsense. Once that group has given up, the road opens again, it should only be a few minutes of inconvenience for the rest of the road users.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that in a news video of the most recent fatal accident the red F150 truck parked at the scene has flashers on and is revealed to be unmarked OPP, not just a passer by as I originally assumed in the still photos.
Super unmarked. Bug deflector, window vents, alloys, looks like every other old man truck. AM 51180

Not sure why everyone was always so keen to ride this road, kinda like the forks of credit. Overrated, however the response from the NIMBY's took longer to hit VTEC than i thought it would have.

Forgot to mention that in a news video of the most recent fatal accident the red F150 truck parked at the scene has flashers on and is revealed to be unmarked OPP, not just a passer by as I originally assumed in the still photos.

Yup that sure looks like a FD truck not police no blue lights

Back
Top Bottom