Parking On Sidewalks | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parking On Sidewalks

Emefef

Site Supporter
This came up a little while ago about scooters on sidewalks, and the informal approach taken by the parking control officers. Here's what TPS is doing about it:

Toronto Police Service, Parking Enforcement Unit, Sidewalk/Boulevard Parking Campaign, Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:01 AM
Traffic Services
416-808-1900

The Parking Enforcement Unit contributes to the overall safety and security of the people of Toronto by focusing on the Toronto Police Service Traffic Safety Priorities. This is achieved through various strategies including enforcement, visibility, public awareness and educational programs.

In response to the concerns of the community, the Parking Enforcement Unit, in partnership with Traffic Services, will be initiating an enforcement campaign for the illegal parking of Motorcycles and Limited Speed Motorcycles (LSMs), which includes Mopeds and Scooters, on Toronto sidewalks and boulevards.

Sidewalks are for pedestrians, not for motor vehicles. When these vehicles park on sidewalks and boulevards, they encroach on the path of travel and pedestrians get squeezed into smaller pedestrian zones. Illegal parking in this manner also creates sightline issues which may result in public safety concerns.

Motorcycles, LSM Scooters and Mopeds must obey City of Toronto Parking regulations and are specifically reminded that there are no exemptions for stopping on sidewalks or unauthorized parking on boulevards.

This campaign will run in conjunction with Canada Road Safety Week, starting on Monday, May 13, 2013.

Under City of Toronto Bylaws, Motorcycles, LSM Scooters and Mopeds have been exempt from payment of parking fees at all on-street parking meters and pay-and-display machines. This exemption will continue in those areas.

Please contact, Constable Hugh Smith, Traffic Services at 416 808-1917.

Constable Tony Vella, Corporate Communications, for Manager Kimberly Rossi, Parking Enforcement Unit

There are no files attached to this release.

I've been telling people, especially scooter riders, that it is NOT legal to park scooters on sidewalks in Toronto. Perhaps this will finally put that false impressions to bed, once and for all?

If all that they ever do is a blitz every 5 years, then it won't stop anyone. Has anyone really stopped using a cell phone while driving?

It's a $50 ticket for parking on the sidewalk. Got one. It's a good slap for my laziness not to park on the street two blocks farther from work.

However, I think downtown car drivers are going to find there are a lot fewer places to park now as all these scooters begin to occupy the (legal) street spaces. In this regard, car drivers probably would make good allies for scooter riders to pressure the city for better moto parking.

I always park right beside doors to establishments, sidewalks, islands.. Never got a ticket probably never will, knock on wood. I'm also in Hamilton where its not too bad

I've been telling people, especially scooter riders, that it is NOT legal to park scooters on sidewalks in Toronto. Perhaps this will finally put that false impressions to bed, once and for all?

Unlikely to make the slightest dent. Anecdotal, but I've watched three parking enforcement officers walk past the multistrada currently parked on the sidewalk at Richmond/Spadina this afternoon.

"Martin Katz is upset he has been ticketed for parking his scooter on a sidewalk outside his office. He has been parking there for four years and this is his first ticket."

That's like saying,
"Jim is upset he has been ticketed for speeding @ 140km/h on Hwy-401. He has been speeding @ 140km/h on Hwy-401 for four years and this is his first ticket."

:rolleyes: .. on the plus side, street meter parking is still free for us.

What if the scooter was chained would it still get ticketed? Previously all you had to do was shoe lace it to a pole and you would not get ticketed.

Would suck for moped riders to park on the street considering you don't need a key to start the bike and it weighs only 100 pounds lol.

Last edited:
What if the scooter was chained would it still get ticketed? Previously all you had to do was shoe lace it to a pole and you would not get ticketed.

Would suck for moped riders to park on the street considering you don't need a key to start the bike and it weighs only 100 pounds lol.

If it's chained then it would still get a ticket, but towing would be problematical.

..... until they called a city worker with an angle grinder.

However, I think downtown car drivers are going to find there are a lot fewer places to park now as all these scooters begin to occupy the (legal) street spaces. In this regard, car drivers probably would make good allies for scooter riders to pressure the city for better moto parking.
You'll probably just see more threads on here about hit and runs after drivers knock over bikes and scooters trying to squeeze in around them.

If interested in helping in the fight to keep scooters on sidewalks:

1- Here's a petition: http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitio...ing-scooters-for-parking-on-toronto-sidewalks
2- Here's the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/SaveOurScootersToronto?fref=ts
3- And here is the update from Councillor Matlow's office

They are currently seeking a councillor to bring Councillor Matlow's letter to this month's Public Works and Infrastructure Committee. This is the committee to which this matter should be addressed. They hope to confirm shortly that it will be on the committee agenda for Thursday, June 20. If it is supported there it will then be considered by City Council at its meeting on July 16-17. I will update you once this is confirmed.

I inquired as to whether they could inform parking services to delay enforcement of the bylaw pending this reconsideration. I am advised that the best person to contact about the staff decision to begin an enforcement campaign is Constable Hugh Smith of Traffic Services.

If an SOS Toronto follower has free time during the day and can place a call with this request, it would be appreciated. The reason for the sudden decision to enforce this bylaw and the number of actual complaints received about scooter parking on sidewalks would be useful to know.

As I receive updates, I will pass them on.

If interested in helping in the fight to keep scooters on sidewalks:

1- Here's a petition: http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitio...ing-scooters-for-parking-on-toronto-sidewalks
2- Here's the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/SaveOurScootersToronto?fref=ts
3- And here is the update from Councillor Matlow's office

They are currently seeking a councillor to bring Councillor Matlow's letter to this month's Public Works and Infrastructure Committee. This is the committee to which this matter should be addressed. They hope to confirm shortly that it will be on the committee agenda for Thursday, June 20. If it is supported there it will then be considered by City Council at its meeting on July 16-17. I will update you once this is confirmed.

I inquired as to whether they could inform parking services to delay enforcement of the bylaw pending this reconsideration. I am advised that the best person to contact about the staff decision to begin an enforcement campaign is Constable Hugh Smith of Traffic Services.

If an SOS Toronto follower has free time during the day and can place a call with this request, it would be appreciated. The reason for the sudden decision to enforce this bylaw and the number of actual complaints received about scooter parking on sidewalks would be useful to know.

As I receive updates, I will pass them on.

Just a point of fact: Scooters have NEVER been permitted to park on sidewalks, so this isn't a matter of "keeping them on sidewalks." In order to permit them to park on sidewalks a change must be made to the city bylaws. It's just that the bylaw that bans them from parking on sidewalks hasn't been rigorously enforced, in the past.

Why would someone park on a sidewalk to begin with??
A true story. Sitting parked in my truck on Front Street, downtown. Waiting for my girl to finish her shift and come out. Meanwhile seeing this drunken homo lady making her way pass a line of parked cars in front of me. Snap! All of a sudden she falls, but not before grabbing onto a mirror with her hand in attempt to cushion the landing. And breaking it off!!

I remember thinking: "Thanks God there were no motorcycles in her way".

Back
Top Bottom