Parking a motorcycle at a hotel in Brampton for a week - bad idea? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parking a motorcycle at a hotel in Brampton for a week - bad idea?

caje

Have a work trip coming up to Brampton for a week and was planning to take my Versys. After reading about how much motorcycle theft there is in Toronto, I'm second guessing myself now.

It's a scratched up 300cc bike that's worth 4k max, but still...am I worrying over nothing?

Last edited:
miss out on some great experiences.
In Brampton on a work trip? 🤔

I typically would not take my bike for any work related trips - If it does get stolen or damaged this creates a lot of potential extra burden while you are trying to get a job done. Just my 2 cents..

In Brampton on a work trip? 🤔

I typically would not take my bike for any work related trips - If it does get stolen or damaged this creates a lot of potential extra burden while you are trying to get a job done. Just my 2 cents..
Fair enough. I don't know where they live normally or how much work is involved. If work is 9-5 and I lived far away, evenings are a good time to hit up FOTC, backroads around hamilton, explore caledon, etc. If I was working all available hours, I'd take the cage as a cold dark ride home at the end of a long week is not fun (made that mistake before and came home from northern QC in temps just above freezing, bike had been parked for the entire time I was there).

Have a work trip coming up to Brampton for a week and was planning to take my Versys. After reading about how much motorcycle theft there is in Toronto, I'm second guessing myself now.

It's a scratched up 300cc bike that's worth 4k max, but still...am I worrying over nothing?
I have a Vstrom -- when I'm away I make sure the VSTROM logo is prominently displayed - so far thieves have shown full respect -- never had a hand laid on her.

I'd imagine you'd get the same respect if you leave the Versys logo visible.

Are you coming from a distance away (2 hours +) and do you need transportation while here? I assume the trip is in the near future.

A long ride home in a cold rain isn't fun and snow isn't impossible from now to next April / May.

If you don't need transportation here but want to ride in off time it's weather dependent. It gets darker earlier now and those twisty country roads are less fun and more dangerous in the dark.

I don't know the work part of the decsion but more than once I've arrived at a date or event looking like a drowned rat. Does that get you thumbs up or thumbs down. Luggage, change of clothes, tools, needed paperwork? I've taken the bike to deliver small parts where it's a quick drop off and other calls that just required getting the lay of the land. Actual work I went conventional.

High daily temps in Brampton next week all in the single digits. Possibility of occasional showers most days and as noobie48 points out, it gets dark early now. There's a lot of leaves starting to come down on rural roads past few days & I expect next week may be peak time for that especially if there's rain & wind. When leaves get wet, that's not a surface you want to suddenly come across on two wheels!

I wouldn't park my bike in a public parking lot for any length of time myself but that's your call. I'll assume you have theft insurance.

Don't be bringing a bike to a work trip

Call up the hotel and ask if they have a secure area that you can use to park your bike.

When I'm on my roadtrips, I usually park the bike by the front door after talking to management of the hotels and they all mostly oblige. It's highly visible and tips the odds in your favour.

Other than that, your odds are good as your bike is not an SS, so most of the "organized" losers won't probably bother. But, as others have said, I don't see any reason to ride in later October in that area if you don't have to.

A client of mine had his Lexus RX-350 stolen in the hotel parking in Montreal while on a weekend trip.

Another had her CRV stolen right off the driveway.

I wouldn't worry about your Versys 300.

How hard is it to steal a vehicle?

A buddy bought a $100,000 pickup last February and a week or so back locked his key fob in it. The cell phone app that should have unlocked it went blank and he spent two hours in a parking lot talking to various people around the globe and suddenly Vroom, the motor started and click the doors unlocked. Magic. He didn't have to show I.D. to anyone.

A little tip is to put something over the VIN on the dash. A cop told me they suspect a lot of thefts are inside jobs. Make it harder to be targeted.

There's a lump in your throat feeling when you leave your ride vulnerable but all you can do is have good insurance and a back up plan, unless you intend to be a Timmies and back home rider.

Back
Top Bottom