Ouch! Always (almost) wear armor while riding. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ouch! Always (almost) wear armor while riding.

Max527

Never follow too close and watch for future traffic stopping on the highway!

[video]https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=J1zB_1534498802[/video]

The rider flintstone braking instead of using his rear brakes was a nice touch. Idiot. It looks like he shouldn't be too badly hurt.

Last edited:
The rider flintstone braking instead of using his rear brakes was a nice touch. Idiot. It likes like he shouldn't be too badly hurt.
The video is mirrored so his left foot was on the ground but right foot on the brake.

He wasn't following too close though, he just... failed to brake? Like it honestly looks like he has zero fingers on the front brake lever.

Edit: Oh, video is mirrored, failed to catch that

The video is mirrored so his left foot was on the ground but right foot on the brake.

Good call. Rewatching the video made it obvious he used the rear brake as he had it locked up. It looks like he could have pulled in a lot more front brake (it's hard to tell whether he used it too lightly or not at all). Not pulling in the clutch while locking the rear also did him no favors, even if he didn't hit the car, he probably would have fallen over with a stalled engine in gear.

Last edited:
I didn't see the bike squat, so I'm wondering if he only uses the rear brake, and locks it often enough that he feels that he needs to put his foot down when the bike starts coming around. He was too close when he began to brake.

Started braking too late. Locked the rear. Didn't pull in the clutch. Doesn't look like he braked with the front at all or enough...looks like front didn't dive at all. +1 Probably too used to braking with the rear.

Looking at his face he looks half asleep. Tried to stop with no hands. Not much experience there me thinks.

Wearing armor is important however defensive driving has much more importance.

You won't need armor or gloves if you don't fall so as-long as you are focused on what's ahead and where you can go, you'd be golden.
Now don't misunderstand that wearing proper gear isn't required or a good idea, that's not what I'm saying.

Slamming your breaks is an extremely bad idea when you are riding and you are better off trying to slow down safely and/or splitting the lanes or going off to the shoulder.

I commute a lot each day and I've had my fair share of idiotic drivers on the road, especially the ones that decide to suddenly break hard with a vast amount of distance between them and the cars in-front.
Most likely these are distracted drivers that think keeping 5-10 car distances are a good and safe measure totally disregarding the people behind them or the posted speed limit.

Now, since we are in Ontario and there will be hate about lane splitting, the reality is that for me, personally, if I encounter said idiots of the road and I have to slam my breaks which on a R3 are not great...
I'd rather split between the lanes and continue on my way, similar to when someone decides to cut me off... It's not safe for me to try slam my breaks If I can just accelerate and safely get by.

Unfortunately, I've had enough people try to break check me or cut me off so my only option other then slamming my breaks was to accelerate by filtering and lane splitting.

Ultimately, I am used to the fact that many drivers do not know how to drive at all and almost everyday, I come across a pack of idiots on the roadway, blocking what would otherwise be a great highway.

So it is not anything new when I encounter people that decide to suddenly slam their breaks with no reason or have people cut me off by merging into my lane without actually bothering to check their blind spot.

It also comes down to knowing how you're bike breaks and when I know that I cannot break in-time, my only other option is to go where I can (between other vehicles or on the shoulder).

It seems like this rider was either too tired to think about escaping the car in-front or he was not experienced enough to go anywhere else.

Remember, this is a cruiser guy and many of these seem to feel the front brake is dangerous to use. So instead you lock up the rear wheel, and even then it's just marginally locked as the bike drifted sideways just a bit, and then you put down your foot in desperation as if that's going to help slow you down and while all of this is happening you've barely touched the front brake and the clutch is still engaged. Overall poor riding skills + target fixation = recipe for an accident just waiting to happen.

If you don't know how to operate a motorcycle properly this is going to happen. There is a reason why riders should take a basic rider training course to at least learn how to brake in an emergency.

From what I can see he did not touch the clutch or the front brake at all. Yes I know it is mirrored. So he basically hammered the rear brake, created a skid so effectively no braking force whatsoever.

So anyone watching this that still believes that the front brake is not to be used look and learn. I hope most people here know the importance of front brake.

Do they not teach brake and avoid anymore????? For a bike "IN AND DOWN".....pull both levers in and both feet press down on their levers. Then look where you want to go...an escape route/open space....and air for that.

He would have doubled his stopping power if he put his other foot down to stop.

He would have doubled his stopping power if he put his other foot down to stop.

I drove a drum brake car one time with brakes so bad I seriously contemplated dragging my foot to assist. I think it might actually have helped.

I drove a drum brake car one time with brakes so bad I seriously contemplated dragging my foot to assist. I think it might actually have helped.

these POS are being sold off at auction now, CF LSVW
Mulroney era Western Star, truly the worst vehicle I've ever driven
so underpowered then had to be towed up hill
and on the way downhill you had to look for something to run into to get slowed down

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/HgtKZvZ.jpg[/img]

.... that was irritating I had to get a mirror to watch it.
Must really rot to run into the camera car you are following.

Just another example of a novice riding something too big and fat for his riding ability. I figured there would be some type of unhappy ending midway thru the video when he held that perfect line through the sweep of the ramp -- the conclusion was simply a matter of time.

Good video to attach to all that 'start with a 250' advice.

I think he would have done the same thing with a 250.One thing that i have noticed this season with my 250 being my only street bike is it's limited braking capabilities.The ducatis i have had and even my Goldwing were much better at emergency braking than my 250.Yes,the dual purpose tires have a slight effect on it's performance.But i really don't think the size of the bike has much to do with collision avoidance.It's mostly rider experience imho.

Back
Top Bottom