"Oro Station" new track in Oro-Medonte? | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Oro Station" new track in Oro-Medonte?

r3r3r3

heard about this while talking to some of the guys at the TMP trackday yesterday. Apparently there is talks / approvals in place for a new automotive innovation, testing, research facility (including a full private/ commercial track) near the airport in Oro. Sounds like the zoning has been amended but no construction yet?

Oro Station - Driven International
New Automotive Test Track and Innovation Centre Coming to Oro-Medonte – Barrie 360Barrie 360

Not a lot of information / updates since the initial news in 2019. Has anyone heard anything recent about this? Would be nice to have something that isn't a 2hr drive from the city.

heard about this while talking to some of the guys at the TMP trackday yesterday. Apparently there is talks / approvals in place for a new automotive innovation, testing, research facility (including a full private/ commercial track) near the airport in Oro. Sounds like the zoning has been amended but no construction yet?

Oro Station - Driven International
New Automotive Test Track and Innovation Centre Coming to Oro-Medonte – Barrie 360Barrie 360

Not a lot of information / updates since the initial news in 2019. Has anyone heard anything recent about this? Would be nice to have something that isn't a 2hr drive from the city.
That's some pretty crap reporting. Intermingling construction jobs and permanent jobs is a great way to obfuscate the actual impact. I wonder if this is the playground for rich folks that a Toronto car club occasionally teases. For a couple of reasons, I have doubts this will happen, but I will see if I can talk to someone that will have a better idea.

This one seems a little different;
  • An actual design company involved (Driven)
  • Better chance at zoning approval with an airport and fairgrounds nearby and not a lot of other residences. (possibly granted already)
  • It seems the land has been purchased.
  • There was something about Gorgian College being associated.
The number of permanent jobs is a bit of a "stretch goal".

For me, Calabogie is 5 hours, Shannonville is two hours, Mosport is 30 minutes. Oro Station would be an hour and a half or so, certainly in range for me.

Interesting that anybody would sink money into a new track, given the rough times all the other ones seem to be having.

That tree-filled infield is a little unusual, wonder if that was part of getting it approved? Yes I know Mosport has trees but you can camp there at least

Probably on hold right now. It's near the Burl's Creek Event Park that already has a 1/2 mile circle track and one of the largest automotive flea markets in North America. Looks like they already had the go-ahead though. It is a good place for a track.

I really don't think much of the plan.
It reminds me of the track they built on vancouver island. narrow tight twisty, little run off, mostly lower speeds.

would be a nice karting track.

Looks interesting, but their target audience (based on the renderings) seems to be the well heeled crowd...no shortage of those up that way, but I wonder if us mere mortals will be welcome or if the minimum vehicular value to gain entry will be in the six figure territory.

Looks interesting, but their target audience (based on the renderings) seems to be the well heeled crowd...no shortage of those up that way, but I wonder if us mere mortals will be welcome or if the minimum vehicular value to gain entry will be in the six figure territory.
I suspect the root of this venture is a six figure + buy in to a car club in Toronto (think harvey specter in suits). Fly up from the YTO to YLK, flog the fancy rental cars for a few hours and fly home.

Fly up from the YTO to YLK, flog the fancy rental cars for a few hours and fly home.

If you look closely in the renders there's actually a helipad (with a helicopter on it) which kinda cemented my thought about this being a hangout for the well heeled crowd.

There's also a passenger jet in one photo, but that's just full of the peasants looking down on the Richie Rich crowd smoking their cigars and polishing their monocles below.

Look closer in one of the pics...there is a helicopter sitting on a helipad way towards the back of one of the renders. ?

I really don't think much of the plan.
It reminds me of the track they built on vancouver island. narrow tight twisty, little run off, mostly lower speeds.

would be a nice karting track.

My boss owns the one on Vancouver island, he has plans for expansion on the track and the facility.
bc6cacc3ef3d68f292eb9469e928dc4d.jpg

Look closer in one of the pics...there is a helicopter sitting on a helipad way towards the back of one of the renders. ?
Sure, but a helipad is just more pavement. If they want to pretend that this will get used for a big series than that could be for a camera chopper or medevac. Actually it kinda bothers me in the renders that the helipad is immediately surrounded by trees, but I am 100% sure that if they actually built it those trees would not be there.

As for how they're positioning it... the notion that road racing so popular in Ontario, that plutocrats are desperate for a venue where they don't have to rub shoulders with peasants, is almost as funny as the idea that there is any kind of demand for an automotive development circuit here. But please do build it anyway

Back
Top Bottom