Ordering exhaust online...import duty fees? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ordering exhaust online...import duty fees?

iblastoff

I’m looking at a pipe that’s around $1000. Anyone know if it’s any cheaper to order it from Japan or France in regards to duty and tax ****?

(Revzilla has it but does not ship the item to Canada)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

a large and expensive item like that is likely to have HST and import duty applied
duty looks to be 8% plus the 13% HST

edit: do you plan to install yourself?
if not, maybe have it done in the US and ride back with your new exhaust
but regardless, with the weak $CDN, it's gonna be expensive

Last edited:
I live in Toronto and sometimes ship items to the UPS store in Niagara Falls, NY.

Not sure where you live, but if you choose to do something like this, call the UPS store for details on how to properly address the package and their package holding rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a large and expensive item like that is likely to have HST and import duty applied
duty looks to be 8% plus the 13% HST

edit: do you plan to install yourself?
if not, maybe have it done in the US and ride back with your new exhaust
but regardless, with the weak $CDN, it's gonna be expensive

I definitely expect to pay fees, I just wasn’t sure if these fees varied depending on what country you’re ordering from.

The US installing option is interesting though!

the fee's are based on the value, not the country of origin. The Race Fit pipe I got last year (from Race Fit) had the value marked to $50 so I didn't pay any duty. If it's being shipped UPS, Fed-Ex or DHL you'l probably get dinged brokerage as well

I've had items shipped to CBI USA in Niagara falls and then picked up later at a convenient time ,smaller items I've picked up when down on a weekend PA ride. I use the per item charge of $US7 ish for them to hold the package for me.

Still can be cheaper than having it shipped to Toronto as usually within the US things will often be shipped for free . Companies will not lie on customers declarations and FedEx, UPS brokerage fees are usually high too.

I've had items shipped to CBI USA in Niagara falls and then picked up later at a convenient time ,smaller items I've picked up when down on a weekend PA ride. I use the per item charge of $US7 ish for them to hold the package for me.

Still can be cheaper than having it shipped to Toronto as usually within the US things will often be shipped for free . Companies will not lie on customers declarations and FedEx, UPS brokerage fees are usually high too.

I've used CBI in NF for years and this enables you to take advantage of "free shipping in the USA" policies most companies have. If shipping to Canada never use UPS or FEDEX or DHL as in addition to duties and taxes there is usually a large processing fee to pay as well.

Have you tried any other Canadian retailers? I've gotten stuff from 613 Motorsports that I thought wouldn't be available in Canada. Prices have been better than importing myself. They don't have a website, so you actually have to call

I definitely expect to pay fees, I just wasn’t sure if these fees varied depending on what country you’re ordering from.

The US installing option is interesting though!

I did this on the last bike with a set of hard luggage
saved quite a bit, but the $CDN was stronger at the time

funny enough I was flagged crossing back over for inspection
had declared a few low dollar items that they searched the new luggage for
and made me show to them, then sent me on my way

I bought a Delkevic pipe online once from somewhere in Eastern Europe. Don’t think I was dinged with anything aside from tax but that was quite a few years ago now. Since then though I’ve realized that if this is just a slip on pipe it’s not money well spent usually unless weight savings over stock are really important to you or unless you keep burning riding gear on a hot pipe (cf runs cooler). I can’t really hear any change in tone once riding as I have ear protection in so I’d rather spend the $1k on a better ergo seat or some decent luggage etc.

If it’s a full system and it gives actual performance boosts that’s a different story.

i'm going to the pull the trigger on a system from the states shortly. will update afterwards.

Just bought full system for $700 from England, $70 duty shipped with UPS

Which system and from what vendor? (if you don't mind telling us)
I'm currently looking at a Scorpion slip-on from the UK.

Cheers,
Rob

Getting a lot of "this item doesn't ship to Canada" from the US motorcycle vendors recently...which is bizarre. I guess this is a side effect of our trade relations with the US going south (?) Never seen this message before.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Getting a lot of "this item doesn't ship to Canada" from the US motorcycle vendors recently...which is bizarre. I guess this is a side effect of our trade relations with the US going south (?) Never seen this message before.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I’ve started seeing it more as well, but it seems to be brand related. Eg. Revzilla can’t ship Rev’It gear (and others) as Rev’It won’t allow them to as they have a deal with Canadian distributors that prevents it.
I would just have it shipped to a US postal address in those cases.

Rob

I’ve started seeing it more as well, but it seems to be brand related. Eg. Revzilla can’t ship Rev’It gear (and others) as Rev’It won’t allow them to as they have a deal with Canadian distributors that prevents it.
I would just have it shipped to a US postal address in those cases.

Rob
I've seen it from KTM USA...they wouldn't ship an ECU to Canada... KTM (Husqvarna) in Austria wouldn't ship an ECU to Canada but would ship to Australia. I ended up getting one off of eBay. I've seen it from several online gear vendors as well. Is this Trump at work? I'm not against Trump, but if there's some American Trade protectionism going on here, I think it should be known so that we can support Canadian vendors only.

Back
Top Bottom