OPP RELEASES AT-FAULT DATA LINKED TO MOTORCYCLE FATALITIES! | GTAMotorcycle.com

OPP RELEASES AT-FAULT DATA LINKED TO MOTORCYCLE FATALITIES!

justmike

OPP RELEASES AT-FAULT DATA LINKED TO MOTORCYCLE FATALITIES!

(ORILLIA, ON) - The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has released data that points to who was at fault in the collisions that cost close to 350 motorcyclists their lives over the past 10 years.

Between 2012 and 2021, the OPP investigated 326 fatal motorcycle incidents that claimed the lives of 342 motorcyclists. Over the 10-year period, the motorcyclists who died were reportedly the at-fault driver in 60.7 per cent of the crashes, with 39.3 per cent of those who were at fault being drivers of other vehicles.

One hundred and twenty (120) of the fatalities were collisions that involved a single motorcycle, with at least one other vehicle being implicated in the other 222 deaths.

The data is a stark reminder that there can be zero risks and errors on the part of motorcyclists and that even the safest, most defensive riders must rely on nearby motorists exercising the same degree of safety in order to avoid causing a deadly crash.

Excessive speed, failing to yield right of way and driver inattention remain lead contributing factors in OPP-investigated motorcycle fatalities every year.

With Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month marking the start of peak riding season, motorcyclists and other drivers need to watch out for each other at all times and be mindful that motorcycle safety is the responsibility of every driver.

The OPP is reminding motorcyclists and drivers that sharing the road responsibly, observing posted speed limits and keeping alcohol, drugs and distractions off our roads are vital to reducing the number of motorcycle collisions, injuries and deaths.

The OPP encourages motorcyclists to follow them on social media throughout the month to view some helpful motorcycle safety videos aimed at both new and experienced riders.

QUICK FACTS

Riders between 45-54 years of age accounted for the highest number of motorcycle deaths on OPP-patrolled roads in the last 10 years.

The OPP responded to 34 fatal motorcycle collisions in 2021, which claimed the lives of 35 motorcyclists.

Bit misleading ...if you pull out the obvious single vehicle crashes...120 which is 30% +/-
then it evens up between rider at fault or other driver.
I'm guess that's the norm for cages too.

This data is OPP only - does not include municipalities. It would be more useful to have all the numbers.

I am surprised at the riders age 45-54 being the highest number of motorcycle deaths. I would assume its younger in municipalities such as Toronto or Peel.

I am surprised at the riders age 45-54 being the highest number of motorcycle deaths. I would assume its younger in municipalities such as Toronto or Peel.
I recall reading somewhere that this age group (45-54) were more representative than others because a large number of these riders have been away from motorcycles for many years. This seems to be the age where many decide to return to riding, (mid-life crisis sort of thing) and their skills are not as sharp as they once were.

Others, like myself aged 66, have never been without a bike and have ridden safely for 45+ years.

I recall reading somewhere that this age group (45-54) were more representative than others because a large number of these riders have been away from motorcycles for many years. This seems to be the age where many decide to return to riding, (mid-life crisis sort of thing) and their skills are not as sharp as they once were.

Others, like myself aged 66, have never been without a bike and have ridden safely for 45+ years.

Also I recall reading that a lot of new riders start in that age group. Probably for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I'm not, it's been like that for many years. The stereotype is it's the young punks racing around on their sportbikes getting killed. The reality is it's the middle-aged rider learning to ride and who can afford to ride something too big and/or too heavy for their actual experience level.

And have money to buy the bike they want. End up with riders on bikes too fast/big/heavy for their skill level.
Believe it's also the largest age group of riders period. I've read this before. 2 years ago I tracked deaths reported in the Ontario media and (sorry I forget the exact #'s) the majority were under the age of 40. I know my stats mean nothing. I was just curious at the time.

Believe it's also the largest age group of riders period. I've read this before. 2 years ago I tracked deaths reported in the Ontario media and (sorry I forget the exact #'s) the majority were under the age of 40. I know my stats mean nothing. I was just curious at the time.

yah i dont think its a big surprise. every bike manufacturer is struggling to get younger riders. and tbh i have no idea how a 20 year old kid is supposed to afford a bike + insurance + parking + gear etc. motorcycles just aren't utilitarian here. they're a huge luxury many just can't afford or dont think its really worth it.

also pheww im not in that age range yet. GUESS I'LL LIVE FOREVER.

Last edited:
Yeah $300 for a good used Honda 305 Superhawk when I started in the 60s and no drivers test - not even an M designation ...that came later and I was grandfathered in with no test.
Can't recall insurance but don't recall paying any. DIfferent times.
It's no wonder the younger crowd are all over EV 2 wheel fun. Laissez-faire rules.

First thing my current partner ( who also can but doesn't ride ) asked me was motorcycling a middle aged thing for me with a raised eyebrow....I said no ....riding since I was 17 and not a peep since ...in fact encouragment (y)

this shouldn't be surprising - people who say **** like "its the cars I don't trust" - are deluding themselves

this hobby isn't extraordinarily dangerous but if you don't actively take courses and practice emergency stopping skills you're one surprise away from a potentially fatal crash

yah i dont think its a big surprise. every bike manufacturer is struggling to get younger riders. and tbh i have no idea how a 20 year old kid is supposed to afford a bike + insurance + parking + gear etc. motorcycles just aren't utilitarian here. they're a huge luxury many just can't afford or dont think its really worth it.

also pheww im not in that age range yet. GUESS I'LL LIVE FOREVER.
I don't know what it is, but I think it's more... complicated(?) than just that...

I think a lot of new riders/kids/whatever you want to call them are more hesitant/avoidant(?) of anything that isn't minty fresh and needs wrenching on themselves. That's very different than when I started riding in 2007, at 19 years old, and we wanted to get dirty.

My first motorcycle was a shitbox bike that was older than I was, but it was $1,300 plus another $400 in parts... I was a broke AF student... I learned A LOT that summer.

I also got a ton of help to make that happen. SLIM from this forum picked me, a total stranger, up to drive me to Stouffville to check out a motorcycle, just to help a new rider. I met people in the motorcycle community that would show me how to wrench for beer money. Etc.

I think there's this dichotomy between, the kids don't necessarily want to interact offline, but online there's more access to information than ever before, which you think would be encouraging them to experiment more on old cheap shitbox motorcycles like we would buy and fix up... but I don't really see it happening among new riders anymore.

I could be totally off-base, just sharing what I see as a guy who works in the biz and sees a lot of young new riders getting their first motorcycles...

Drilling down the data would be helpful - displacement, type of bike, on road or off road, years of experience...
Was the rider in proper motorcycle protective gear, helmet type. Single vehicle crash due to failing to navigate a curve? So much more useful data could and should be collected that would give the rider community some useful information to consider and learn from. But nope. That might be too much work for the OPP or other police forces to collect and summarize.

Table 6.2
Selected Factors Relevant to Fatal Motorcycle Collisions 2016
Factors (not mutually exclusive) %
Unlicensed Motorcycle Drivers 3.3
Under 25 Years Old 4.2
Alcohol Used
Ability Impaired Alcohol > .08 14.8
Had Been Drinking 8.2
Unknown 14
Helmet Not Worn (Fatalities) 0

Motorcycle Driver Error
Speed Too Fast/Lost Control 25.8
Other Error 35
Single Vehicle Collisions 25.4
Day/Night 82.5/15.9
Weekend 49

It seems the government is only concerned with a handful of reasons for fatalities. I.E Alcohol, speeding, etc.
35% of fatalities are caused by other errors that no one could be bothered to define. I wonder why they even bother to collect this information?
It sure isn't to educate and prevent fatalities.

Table 6.2
Selected Factors Relevant to Fatal Motorcycle Collisions 2016
Factors (not mutually exclusive) %
Unlicensed Motorcycle Drivers 3.3
Under 25 Years Old 4.2
Alcohol Used
Ability Impaired Alcohol > .08 14.8
Had Been Drinking 8.2
Unknown 14
Helmet Not Worn (Fatalities) 0

Motorcycle Driver Error
Speed Too Fast/Lost Control 25.8
Other Error 35
Single Vehicle Collisions 25.4
Day/Night 82.5/15.9
Weekend 49

It seems the government is only concerned with a handful of reasons for fatalities. I.E Alcohol, speeding, etc.
35% of fatalities are caused by other errors that no one could be bothered to define. I wonder why they even bother to collect this information?
It sure isn't to educate and prevent fatalities.
If you want to be cynical about it, they collect the data that supports the programs they want to run.

In the past, if driver A was going the speed limit when they ran a red light light and hit driver B who was going 10 km/h over the speed limit, speed would be included as a contributing factor to the crash. I dont know if they still do this BS or not.

Back
Top Bottom