Ontario 101 across from Chapleau - anyone been on recently?? 566?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario 101 across from Chapleau - anyone been on recently?? 566??

MacDoc

Site Supporter

Will stay at Iron Bridge tonight ...then to Wawa and perhaps across 101....suggestions welcome...I'm not going but Australian buddy is and he's experienced off pavment and off road but wants to stick to bitumen.

How is 566?? getting back to the GTA 4 -5 days

Rode 101 last year from Wawa past Timmins over to Matheson then south on 11. West of Timmins is a great road....good shape but next to no services. Next time I'll head south on 144 rather than ride that last stretch of 101 east of Timmins down to 11. Flat straight and tons of trucks. Two years ago rode 101 east of Wawa over to 129 and was welcomed by the OPP. Only bloody car I saw in 30 mins and he happened to be just coming over the crest of a hill while I was enjoying a "spirited" ride. It all ended well but just a heads up that you might see some OPP and the road is very tempting speed wise.
556 I've been on in winter...does that count? West of Searchmont is gorgeous and paved. East I hear is hard packed.

Watch for moose. I've done the 144 twice. Seen moose both times. Not a place to earn a speeding ticket.
I had a friend hit moose 3 times on hwy144 in one summer (in car). He had a camp on 144 and went there every other weekend.
First moose car damage only. Second moose broke a shoulder or such. Third moose killed him. rip Steve.
edit-
I lived in algoma district from 79 to 92. Aubrey falls on the south end of 129 is beautiful (gov park) and worth stopping for.
The bush plane museum in the Sault is also a nice diversion from riding.
The Agawa canyon train out of the Sault is a must do at least once in your life. pics- agawa canyon train - Google Search

Last edited:
We saw a coupe of bears running across 129 when we were up there a couple years ago. One guy had pulled over in his pickup, leaned out his passenger side window, and was poking a young bear with a broomstick to get it off the road. We were right behind him on our bikes hoping the bear got the message as we were sitting ducks! It disappeared into the bush.

Did you mean 566 or 556? Since you mentioned Iron Bridge, I assume you mistyped and meant 556, also known as Ranger Lake Rd. If you really did mean 566, sorry I can't help you there as I've never been on it. But I was on 556 two weeks ago. The first 80 kms (from hwy 129 to hwy 532) is a very twisty gravel road. I was unable to maintain a high speed as I am new to riding off pavement, but I guess if you're a good offroad rider you'd love this road. The road never felt that remote because there was a decent amoutn of traffic on it, lots of ATV's and pickups pulling trailers. Once you hit hwy 532, the next 20 kms of 556 to hwy 17 is paved and a very nice ride. I didn't go up 532 but it's paved and looks like a good ride too. A couple years ago I rode the 101 from Wawa straight through Timmins and into Quebec. It's not terribly interesting but is definitely a much nicer ride than the 11. Highway 631 is also a really nice ride, about 170 kms long, scenic twisty and almost no traffic, but the problem is once you get to the top of it there's nowhere to go but take hwy 11 which is really long straight and boring.

I did 101 between Matheson and Timmins last week, nothing too exciting way less traffic then HWY 11.
Also did it between Matheson towards La Sarre, which was much better curvery with some hills, also pretty deserted, and not much in terms of civilization until the end of it near the lake area.

Back
Top Bottom