Old Nortons | GTAMotorcycle.com

Old Nortons

Mercaholic

I have been on the hunt for a used Norton of the late '60's / early '70's vintage for some time and I'm noticing that the demand for them is rising, so does their selling value.

Anyone else seeing this and if so, have any idea why?

poster-one-week.jpg

one_week03.jpg

I have been on the hunt for a used Norton of the late '60's / early '70's vintage for some time and I'm noticing that the demand for them is rising, so does their selling value.

Anyone else seeing this and if so, have any idea why?

Because they are old.. and hard to find..

Because they are old.. and were hard to find..
Fixed. Once the price went way up the started coming out of the woodwork. i.e. Everyone and his brother was selling them, at the new price point.

Even meat-and-potato BSA's are going up in value, albeit not as much as the more sporty Norton. Parts are getting harder to find for old Brit bikes, which raises the cost of the parts, which raises the cost of a restoration, which raises the asking price.

Guys,
Brit Bike headquarters is in Georgia (metro Atlanta area).
I've never seen so many gorgeous Triumphs, Nortons, and even the elusive BSA is not uncommon.
Reason is, long-time Canadian parts magnate moved to Atlanta in the 1980s, turning his back on British parts distribution in Canada.
Famous guy (but of course name won't come to me...)
Anyway you see sweet old Brit Bikes right out of the pages of history, many offered for sale for only a few grand.
The 850 in the movie photo is a 1972 I believe.
I put a lot of miles on one in those years, the identical machine, when I was only 15 or so...
Great bike, big torque. Big smiles.
Look closely and see the rear brake lever just in front of his LEFT boot!
(Yup, I learned shifting with my right foot first.)

The "baby boomers" owned those bikes back in the day.Now they are retiring and collecting the trillion dollars from their parents that went thru the great depression and WWII without spending any of their money.All these boomers are going to want to relive their youth.Marketing strategists are targeting these spenders with campaigns geared around "retro".Just look at all the toys being built for them.Muscle cars that look just like the 70's toys they drove and bikes geared for them as well.A lot of these "born again bikers" are going to buy bikes again and scare the **** out of themselves.There should be lots of cheap bikes for sale in a few years if the economy picks up.There are lots of good Nortons around.Speedway has 2 and my older cousin has an all original Commando that he has owned since new.

Even meat-and-potato BSA's are going up in value, albeit not as much as the more sporty Norton. Parts are getting harder to find for old Brit bikes, which raises the cost of the parts, which raises the cost of a restoration, which raises the asking price.
Parts for Brit bikes are easier to find now than ever before and often of better quality due to modern materials and manufacturing methods. The cheapest way to buy any of these old beasts is to find one that has been restored and the owner is looking to move on to another project.

Back
Top Bottom