Old guy, new to me bike, passion revived. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Old guy, new to me bike, passion revived.

MRR11.6

Got my M in about 1973 on my first bike, an 850 Commando. Gave up my 750 Honda SS in about 1980 due to family commitments.
Got the bug this winter, shopped a lot, and finally bought a YZF600R from a great guy locally. One week ago. Due to other commitments and weather only put 1000 k on her so far !
Insurance was a nasty surprise but as I get more acquainted with the forum I see I may be fortunate. Riding has changed so much in my hiatus, but the thrill of leaning in or winding it out on a straight ( legally almost ) has not.
Looking forward to learning a lot in here.

Welcome back. Like yourself, I had a 2 decade break from riding for family reasons. I also enjoyed coming back to it, even moreso since my wife took it up as well.

Thanks folks. Enjoying the heck out of this bike. My 750 redlined somewhere around 9 so this thing at 13200 is a real thrill.

PrivatePilot I flew up until 2002, bought a farm and just wasn't getting a kick out of it anymore. Plus the cost was getting silly. Got my night rating , which was a hoot, but after that I guess other things took priority. No regrets though.

My wife has her M but states categorically that she won't be getting a bike. Gotta work on that a bit.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of two wheels. I also had a 20 plus year hiatus, and just got back on last year. Yes, insurance was a shocker to me as well.

Enjoy the bike and ride safe!

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my Purple LGG4 using Tapatalk

Got my M in about 1973 on my first bike, an 850 Commando. Gave up my 750 Honda SS in about 1980 due to family commitments.
Got the bug this winter, shopped a lot, and finally bought a YZF600R from a great guy locally. One week ago. Due to other commitments and weather only put 1000 k on her so far !
Insurance was a nasty surprise but as I get more acquainted with the forum I see I may be fortunate. Riding has changed so much in my hiatus, but the thrill of leaning in or winding it out on a straight ( legally almost ) has not.
Looking forward to learning a lot in here.
Welcome back. There are lots of local groups that do short and long rides -- can be very helpful in shaking off the rust. Try Meetup.com, or scan this board for the occassional get together and ride.

Nice choice for your comeback bike!

Was looking at R6 or even R1 at the start. Then I spotted the Cat nearby and amazingly reasonable for a 2 up trackable bike. Deal broke down twice before getting it done. I think the Cat chose me.

I'm guessing 62-65 years old? I found the ST format to be a lot easier on my 55 year old frame -- ditched my last SS last year, you may have found the R6 and R1 a lot less comfortable, particularly if you plan on covering any distance. The Thunder Cat has a lot more civilized ergos.

I'm guessing 62-65 years old? I found the ST format to be a lot easier on my 55 year old frame -- ditched my last SS last year, you may have found the R6 and R1 a lot less comfortable, particularly if you plan on covering any distance. The Thunder Cat has a lot more civilized ergos.

Yes , 62 to be exact, but still working out with lots of stretching. I have about 1500km on the bike in the week and a half I have owned it with nothing more than the usual discomfort associated with sitting for long periods. Even in my younger days I found it wise to get off and take a break every hour and a half or so.
Just loving this bike, in many ways it reminds me of the 750-4 I had. Except it is a LOT zippier when you let it out.

Back
Top Bottom