OK, so my kid is turning 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

OK, so my kid is turning 16

WudzRydr

Site Supporter
Tried searching around but I need a couple more answers.

My son is turning 16 at the beginning of May and wants to get his m1 and g1. I never had to go through the graduated licensing system so it's all new to me and I have a couple questions.

Does he have to go in and write the m1 and g1 separately or is there a single test he can write?

He's going to be riding my wife's ninja 300. We are currently with State Farm and will have to switch cause they won't insure him. Has anyone else been in my situation and found a decent rate?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

You can write them the same day I think? But yes, need to write both tests.

The m1 is cheap and only last 90 days. Can't remember what the G1 costs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G1 will be probably over $100 if it includes the exit test for his G2. The M1 is basically a rewrite of the G1 plus 20 motorcycle questions. Since the M1 is cheaper, maybe have him write that first. I think it was around $25 if not taking the M2 road test there.

Insurance will be out the $$$ no matter what. Contact Dalton Timmins or Mitchell&Whale, they seem to have the best rates and are rather lenient. M&W is the only company I've found so far that will to give an M1 insurance, but I'm a month from being 30. At 16? Ouch.

I'm pretty sure you can do both at the same time...I got my license in 1985 and when I went for my M1 in 2011, they had me redo the G1 test papers as well, even though they only charged me for the M1...I can't see why you'd had to go two separate times...call Drive test and confirm...they're actually pretty easy to get a hold of through their 1-800 number...

G1 is something like $170 now but includes the road test when the time comes. You have to call your insurance company and inform them that you have a G1 licenced driver in the house but it doesn't effect your insurance costs until they get their G2.

M1 is cheap as mentioned, but might want to call around and find an insurance company that will cover a 16 year old M1 rider on a 300 to make sure you can actually find one (and one that is actually affordable) before bothering to cancel your existing policy and start making changes - it could be hard. Are you going to send him for the motorcycle course? Having the course and the M2 will make things a little less painful for insurance.

OK, thanks. Yeah we're sending him for the course. He's been riding dirt bikes for a while so he knows how to ride but it'll still do him some good to learn the street side of it.

We went through this a couple years ago with our oldest but he was 18 and already had his g2. To put him on my bike it only cost me a couple hundred more than I was paying. I guess I was hoping there was a combined test to make it quicker for my youngest. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom