off road riding rules up north ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

off road riding rules up north ?

jdepp

Hello everyone,
Do I understand correctly that the Ontario laws have changed and that you can now ride an offroad bike (green plate with insurance ) on the side of any road/highway in areas like Haliburton etc... ?

The specific area matters. Municipalities are able to pass laws to allow it. They normally exclude some roads and allow others. Some munipalities haven't gotten around to passing the law.

hard to read through all this but it seems to say offroad motorcycles are allowed

hard to read through all this but it seems to say offroad motorcycles are allowed

From skimming this, there seem to be a lot of stipulations to make sure the off-road vehicle is safe for the streets: lights front and rear, rear mirror. A lot of dirt bikes wouldn't pass.

Anecdotally, if you're not being an idiot, the police won't bother you. Up in the Madawaska, our group passed an OPP cruiser while we were commuting on the street between trails. We were all green-plated dirtbikes, but no lights or mirrors and the officer in the cruiser didn't bat an eyelash. YMMV.

I think the part about needing lights is misleading. If you dig deeper it seems to say you only need them when on a "highway" 1/2 before sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrsie

(2.1) Despite subsections (1) and (2) and despite subsection 62 (2) of the Act, an off-road motorcycle must carry the lighted lamps required by subsection 62 (2) of the Act only if the off-road motorcycle is operated on a highway,

(a) during the period that begins one-half hour before sunset and ends one-half hour after sunrise; and

(b) during any period where, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less. O. Reg. 315/20, s. 9 (1).

Anecdotally, if you're not being an idiot, the police won't bother you. Up in the Madawaska, our group passed an OPP cruiser while we were commuting on the street between trails. We were all green-plated dirtbikes, but no lights or mirrors and the officer in the cruiser didn't bat an eyelash. YMMV.
I had the opposite experience about 4 years ago. Riding the ditch for a short stretch up north about 6 ft off highway on an insured green plated bike got stopped by a cop who told me not so nicely that what I was doing was illegal. I think the only reason I didn't get a ticket was because he was in a hurry.

I had the opposite experience about 4 years ago. Riding the ditch for a short stretch up north about 6 ft off highway on an insured green plated bike got stopped by a cop who told me not so nicely that what I was doing was illegal. I think the only reason I didn't get a ticket was because he was in a hurry.

I wonder if he would have stopped you if you were on the road instead of the ditch?

Also, were you in full MX gear? Or just street clothes? We were decked out in full gear, roost guards, MX boots, it was obviously we were just hopping between trails. But if you're in your shorts and sneakers using your dirt bike as a grocery getter or to get back and forth to work, then that might be a different story.

The link you posted is for the HTA. @GreyGhost is correct, municipalities can and do put by laws in place that prohibit off road vehicles being ridden on the road. For example where I live in Tay township there is a by law banning ATV's from being used on the shoulder. I would ride my bike to the trails if I could but it's a no go.

Check with the specific municipality you want to ride in to see if they allow both ATV's and dirt bikes to use the road.

Where is the best place to find these rules? I’m in Wasaga so I guess Simcoe County? Trails are 5km on way, and 10km the other.

Where is the best place to find these rules? I’m in Wasaga so I guess Simcoe County? Trails are 5km on way, and 10km the other.
Here's springwaters map. Sadly I dont know of one centralized place to see the province.

I would hope scorra/oftr had info but they may only have info on actual trails. Access to rideoftr mapping app requires an active membership so I cant see what's in there.

Good summary posted on facebook by Dan Wiest (no idea who he is, seems like a media guy).

"
REMINDER TO OFF-ROAD VEHICLE OPERATORS:
Use on Haldimand County Roads is Prohibited.
On September 17, 2021 The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Haldimand County Detachment observed two All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) that were travelling on Argyle Street in Caledonia. When the ATVs saw the police vehicle lights activated they did not stop but fled into a nearby field.
The OPP is reminding all off-road vehicle users to obey applicable laws and safety precautions when operating any off-road vehicle and that off-road vehicle use on roads in Haldimand County is prohibited.
In accordance with the Off-Road Vehicle Act, municipalities must have a by-law permitting certain All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) and Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) use on roadways.
Currently, Haldimand County does not have a by-law permitting on-road ATV/ORV use and as such, on-road driving of ATVs/ORVs in Haldimand County is prohibited.
As outlined in the County's Parks & Facilities by-law, motorized recreational vehicles of any kind - meaning snowmobiles, go-carts, ATVS/ORVs or any vehicle propelled or driven by an internal combustion engine - are prohibited from traveling in any public park or County-maintained trail.
OPP have responded to several complaints regarding trespassing, mischief and off-road vehicle use on the roadways throughout Haldimand County.
Off-road vehicle riders were reported to be on private property without permission and in some cases have caused damage to the property and fields.
Being on private property, without permission from the property owner, is a violation under the Trespass to Property Act and could subject riders to charges. Causing damage by riding on property could subject riders to mischief charges.
Being a responsible rider by following laws and wearing approved helmets will significantly reduce the risk of injuries as well as being charged with offences.
To learn more about off road vehicle use and safety visit:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/drive-ATV.shtml
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/.../smart-ride-safe-ride-ATV.pdf"

And don’t forget if you drag it in, Drag it out. Be a good steward for the sport

Back
Top Bottom