Off-road riding in Toronto? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Off-road riding in Toronto?

Honda MX bikes on an 1/8 mile oval dirt track encircled by plywood, seems safe enough,
:D wonder why they won't let you try the ones that burn alcohol and have no brakes.

Thank you, everyone, for the answers! And I'm glad that my thread is living! :)

Just some words of caution as well. if your riding ANYWHERE other than property YOU own, you are required to have your bike fully insured.

Also I would caution against, "riding on dirt road along side of railway tracks". Those roads are all PRIVATE property, belonging to the railroads. The CN and CP police do NOT have a sense of humor. You could find your bike on the back of a tow truck, going to an impound yard.

Obviously, riding the dirt roads you seen as you headed to Newmarket, any road your going to be on will require a BLUE plated bike, for road use. Under the Highway Traffic Act, even an "unassumed road" is still a "highway", (legal definition), as such the bike requires a BLUE plate and of course insurance. Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, Ontario is not a very Off road friendly place to live. Once you join OFTR, you will find LOTS of trails, just most are at least 60 minutes + from Toronto proper.

As I mentioned, I am going to buy a street legal bike and occasionally commute to school/downtown as well, so blue plating and public roads are not an issue for me. But thx for the info, good to know!

There are a handful of MX tracks nearby, but depends on your definition of "nearby".

Moto 86, Wingham
Gore Road MX, London
The Pit, a little east of London
Motopark, Chatsworth
RJ's Motosport, Barrie (Wednesday and Saturday's only)
Burnt River Offroad, Burnt River (this has a small enduro cross track, MX track, and trails)
Alpha MX, a little south of Burnt River (I've never been to this one)

If you want to join an MX club, there's Steel City Riders based out of Brantford, and OCMC based out of a property west of Brooklyn.

There's a couple more I've heard about but you need an invite to ride at.

Thank you, I will check those out! I am not planning to do professional motocross, but I would like to practice my MX skills and do some jumps occasionally, and maybe participate in races for MX newbies on my dualsport just to have some fun :D

Some video of a few of my friends out last weekend at a practice area we use.
[video=youtube;1QkJWeQtWC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QkJWeQtWC0[/video]

Wow!!! This place looks pretty neat! Is it far away from Toronto?

Thinking of getting into off-roading myself. Although I have no experience currently.

PM'd you. When I'll get my bike I can help you to start your off-road journey and teach you some basic enduro tricks :)

You would need to buy a "ticket" to get at all involved in those kind of practice events.It's very private.But you can come out to any of our competitions.No charge. http://www.sovt.website/schedule.html

Serious question to all ?:I If somebody was to hold a serious hillclimb event in Toronto would you turn out to ride?
... need to assume it would require ~200$ entry fee.

And by the way it was done long, long ago in the Don Valley near the Bloor Street Bridge.

Serious question to all ?:I If somebody was to hold a serious hillclimb event in Toronto would you turn out to ride?
... need to assume it would require ~200$ entry fee.

And by the way it was done long, long ago in the Don Valley near the Bloor Street Bridge.

no.
but I would pay to spectate; and I would bring a camera and cooler.
where is this hill in toronto?

Honda MX bikes on an 1/8 mile oval dirt track encircled by plywood, seems safe enough,
:D wonder why they won't let you try the ones that burn alcohol and have no brakes.

was a gentlemen on the forum a few years ago offering up his alcohol burning brakeless left turning bicycle to those who wanted to try it.
was running it at welland and trying to entice some new riders. what a missed opportunity...

I know of some potential hills in the Rouge valley just down stream from the Zoo, the historic site was in the Don Valley.
:I can find the hills, is more a matter of finding one on land where it can be made to happen. These things all start by having enough participation interest.

... & yes it would be vertical near the top :D

You say serious question, but then you jest.

$200? That is seriously stupid.

Have you ever hosted a sanctioned motorcycle competition?
& what would you think something like that should cost to enter?

... if I said it could be free of any entry fee and open to anyone that would be seriously stupid.

Last edited:

... if I said it could be free of any entry fee and open to anyone that would be seriously stupid.
I think you'd have a hard time getting people to show up for $50, $200 will guarantee the event will not happen. Unless there is prize money involved for the the winner?

Hosted? No. Competed in? Many times.

This weekend for example I raced at Gully Mor in a two hour XC that cost me $60 on Saturday, then yesterday I raced an MX race at Steel City Riders for $50.

If a day of racing cost me $200 to enter, I would not be racing.

To try and get up a hill, you want people to pay $200 each? No chance. Sorry.

This weekend for example I raced at Gully Mor in a two hour XC that cost me $60 on Saturday, then yesterday I raced an MX race at Steel City Riders for $50. ....
Add to that your club membership fee and my ~$200 event fee is far from seriously stupid.
What could you race, anything you care to point up the hill,
what could you win, not for profit events turn surplus entry fees collected back into prize money.

Is it likely to happen :/ based on the response to the question, you can now see why there is not a lot of off road anything happening in or near Toronto.

Side tangent, we did this earlier in the year with some friends and it was a great time. I thought the wife would be done after an hour, but she went a full day. Everyone crashed at least once which made it entertaining. I would recommend them and they have quite a few different sized bikes.

Check

www.trailtours.ca

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Add to that your club membership fee and my ~$200 event fee is far from seriously stupid.
What could you race, anything you care to point up the hill,
what could you win, not for profit events turn surplus entry fees collected back into prize money.

Is it likely to happen :/ based on the response to the question, you can now see why there is not a lot of off road anything happening in or near Toronto.

Nope. $200 is still seriously stupid for a one day event of riding up a hill a few times.

you can now see why there is not a lot of off road anything happening in or near Toronto.[/COLOR]

It is always a great "event" everytime I get together to ride with friends, I am sure you feel the same when you get out.

I just don't think you'll get a lot of interest in the hill climbing event since many of us can find hills to climb for free.

It is always a great "event" everytime I get together to ride with friends, I am sure you feel the same when you get out.

I just don't think you'll get a lot of interest in the hill climbing event since many of us can find hills to climb for free.

No worries I got exactly the response I expected!
If you seriously know of off road challenging type hills to ride for free in the Greater Toronto area please do share.

Back
Top Bottom