off duty cop tries to run me off the road for lane filtering.... | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

off duty cop tries to run me off the road for lane filtering....

So I guess this thread is pretty much done..

wait a sec !
what kind of filtering is eveyone talking about here ?

filtering strainght ahead to be the first one off a red light is totally not cool,

but filtering ahead to make a right turn is fine by me. I wouldnt even consider that as illegal

if theres room to go, i go. of course its easier when im in my 4x4. i have been known to curb it to get around people who dont leave space

which brings me to another point. if you are on a 2 lane road, pick the left lane, and let others that are turning, turn. i hate those people that leave the left lane clear, and wait for a red light in the right lane.

after a year away from Toronto and coming back to the city I grew up in for 32 years I can see a big difference in Toronto's driving in general. People won't let you merge, cars constantly changing lanes, people honking at almost anything and displaying road rage, cars jumping into merging lanes to get ahead of traffic. It's a general attitude of the city that young drivers pick up that if the city is driving like this than one must drive like this to survive on the road. No wonder pedestrians get hit so often.

Anyways I'm all for filtering if it gets traffic moving along faster and people getting home quicker and safer. I don't mind giving room for cars to make their right turns if it speeds up traffic. If we all stick to one lane and have patience on the road and be considerate of others insurance will be cheaper and traffic will flow much faster. Yeah I know won't happen in Toronto but at least we can try doing our part.

The last time I had a run in with an off duty cop; when the cop was in the vehicle. The cop was screaming at me and berating me; I simply opened my bottle off water and dumped it all over the cops face, and told the cop to cool down and F*** off. The cop responded if I was in uniform I would arrest you, I responded I would drop you before you got out the car.

OP next time your in this situation just flip him the bird.

most comical post in the entire thread...

No offense but I'm asking for his opinion. I just wanted a bit more detail why he thinks it's not cool.

because that room is supposed to be used for beggars, and street bums and windshield washers to harrass people. thats why. whereas the bikes turning right do not obstruct said bums

because that room is supposed to be used for beggars, and street bums and windshield washers to harrass people. thats why. whereas the bikes turning right do not obstruct said bums

Just gonna add this to that......
Someone needs to hire a comedian cause u suck at it lol

tl;dr
[video=youtube;w5Bci82yjyA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=w5Bci82yjyA[/video]

after a year away from Toronto and coming back to the city I grew up in for 32 years I can see a big difference in Toronto's driving in general. People won't let you merge, cars constantly changing lanes, people honking at almost anything and displaying road rage, cars jumping into merging lanes to get ahead of traffic. It's a general attitude of the city that young drivers pick up that if the city is driving like this than one must drive like this to survive on the road. No wonder pedestrians get hit so often.

Anyways I'm all for filtering if it gets traffic moving along faster and people getting home quicker and safer. I don't mind giving room for cars to make their right turns if it speeds up traffic. If we all stick to one lane and have patience on the road and be considerate of others insurance will be cheaper and traffic will flow much faster. Yeah I know won't happen in Toronto but at least we can try doing our part.

Pedestrians and cyclists get hit so often, in the GTA, because they display all of the same behaviours that drivers do. They just don't happen to be surrounded by glass and steel.

tl;dr
[video=youtube;w5Bci82yjyA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=w5Bci82yjyA[/video]

Lane filtering could b really dangerous, just like the post above said were not enclosed in steel. Personally filtering for me I wouldn't do, but I'm guilty to splitting from time to time, but only in stopped traffic. The video shows a good point b careful every1!

Everyone with sand in their panties about the minute amount of lane filtering we have here should go for a drive in Rome....I've never seen anything like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp26BqSoJ4c&feature=related

Try "filtering" at 160km/hr on the highway, the drivers there call them "mosquitos"...I'd bet someone is killed each and every day in Rome due to filtering.

It's totally normal if you are in a long lineup at a light to have every single moped and motorcycle squeeze right up to the front and gunit when the lights changes. We are talking like 10-20 bikes go past you on the left riding on the line.

I really hope that filtering like that never comes here to Canada.

Last edited:
Ya filtering while traffic is moving bad idea, but when all cars stopped and u make your way to the front of the line not so bad. Not likely to have any problems unless someone feels u are being "rude" and thinks it makes sense to turn in to u cause they are first in line and u are not getting my spot. Which by the sounds of a lot of u on here would be justifiable.

Just saying...if more people knew what it was like in well basically the rest of the entire world (except Canada)...they would know that one or two idiots filtering through traffic once in a while isn't total chaos and anarchy. These things tend to take care of themselves anyway, by Darwin or by the Police.

Everyone with sand in their panties about the minute amount of lane filtering we have here should go for a drive in Rome....I've never seen anything like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp26BqSoJ4c&feature=related

Try "filtering" at 160km/hr on the highway, the drivers there call them "mosquitos"...I'd bet someone is killed each and every day in Rome due to filtering.

It's totally normal if you are in a long lineup at a light to have every single moped and motorcycle squeeze right up to the front and gunit when the lights changes. We are talking like 10-20 bikes go past you on the left riding on the line.

I really hope that filtering like that never comes here to Canada.

I don't know the accident statistics for Rome, but overall I wouldn't be surprised if they are much better drivers because they are forced to pay attention to their surroundings so much more compared to here.

Let's face it, to drive in North America, you really don't have to be particularly aware of what's going on around you. Can you imagine a Rome driver munching on a cheeseburger, talking on a phone, playing with his gps, and partially falling asleep? Nope, either he or someone else would be dead in no time. Our straight roads with semi respectful drivers just perpetuate this cycle of drivers that don't really need to be 100% there to successfully drive.

Edit: You can disregard my point about Rome, some Googling reveals it's prety damn dangerous. Though when I was there I was simply amazed at how well four lanes of cars with scooters in between could drive on a three lane road. Their sense of space really is impressive

Last edited:
A few random thoughts..I'm personaly surprised that we have as few accidents as we do here based on the level of attentiveness and skill of our drivers. Frankly, I think it's a miracle more people don't die.

And if you've ever been to Europe, Rome or otherwise, they treat their cars differently than ours. Most people there, dents and scratches are part of life and they don't care. People here want all new fairings if they get a scratch. Over there, dents and scratches are war scars adored with honour. So careful what you wish for.. :)

Also..driving in the US and Europe, we seem to have a real chip on our shoulders here..every move is life and death..if you get cut off you want to shoot the guy. I admire Italians..they get pist..but they get over it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom