Not Bike related- but is BOAT insurance MANDANTORY? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Not Bike related- but is BOAT insurance MANDANTORY?

canukgirl77

I'm thinking of purchasing a boat, and was wondering if boat insurance is actually mandantory in Ontario? As in, is it actually ILLEGAL to be on the water without it? I'm curious to know the truth since I'm hearing different things from different people.

Yeah, I found that article, but its from 2006, I wasn't sure if it was still valid.

I know its definitely a good idea, for the liability aspect especially... but if I buy the boat and can't get it insured right away I wanted to be sure I could still legally take it out and try it... or for water testing the boats I'm looking at.

It's still valid. The only thing that has changed in the last several years is the requirement for a valid pleasure craft operators license. That and the price of fuel, which is why I sold my bowrider last year and dusted off my canoe.

Thanks, I have my operators license so I'm good there. I'm looking at smaller bowriders, hoping the gas won't kill me.

my fathers yacht club requires mandatory insurance, something you may want to ask if you are planning on keeping it at a club

As previously stated if you are keeping the boat in a slip at a club or marina you will be required to have liability insurance.

There is a company called Robertson & Robertson located on Bathurst just south of Lawrence which specializes in boat insurance. http://www.skippersplan.com/Home.html Give them a call to get an idea of the cost for the type of boat you have in mind.

Thanks, I have my operators license so I'm good there. I'm looking at smaller bowriders, hoping the gas won't kill me.
I'm assuming that you going to be trailering it in and out of the water at public-use boat ramps each time you use it?

If so, you'll be able to save a decent amount on fuel by avoiding the marina fuel pumps and gassing up at the local Pioneer or Cango instead when you head out. Just pick up one or two extra fuel containers for the boat, preferably boat-specific ones with the quick disconnect for the fuel hook-up.

It's good insurance to have extra fuel on board in any case, especially if you're running anywhere far offshore like deep into Lake Ontario or Georgian Bay. That way you're not at the mercy of hoping for a passing boat, especially at night when you're less visible and other boat traffic gets much scarcer.

Some people I know just use the cheap general purpose 5-gallon containers like you'd keep at home for the lawn mower or garden tractor, but they can be tippy in a boat. Refueling with one of them while bouncing on the waves is a great way to leave you and the boat smelling of fuel, and the only quick way to get rid of that smell is to burn it off, which actually did happen to a friend of mine.

Your actual fuel usage can vary hugely. My bowrider was an 18 foot heavy fibreglass job with a deep tri-hull, and it was pushed by an older 110 HP Mercury inline-6. Getting it up on plane required plenty of throttle but once it was up on plane it didn't need much power to stay up unless the water was overly-choppy.

An aluminum-hulled boat with a skiff-type bottom will be a lot lighter and can get by with a much smaller motor. The newer motors with a decent prop are also a lot more efficient than the older stuff. Pulling a water skier behind will hit the fuel hard. Leisurely skiffing on smooth water or river won't.

Mine was used for primarily for water skiing and frequent fast lake crossings to the New York side of Lake Ontario, and that meant frequently choppy water if not outright heavy waves combined with some heft distances. That sucked fuel back hard, especially given the heft of the boat and the motor on it.

Last edited:
I'm in Northern Ontario, actually, so there are a LOT of lakes to choose from a stones throw from my home. I won't be keeping it at a marina or club, I'll be trailering it around. Good tips about the fuel containers, thanks.

I'm actually looking at an older, but mint, 19' Bayliner bowrider. 115hp inboard/outboard Mercruiser on it, shouldn't be TOO bad on gas. We'll be using it more for cruising local lakes, which aren't too choppy, some water skiing, some fishing.

I have an 18 foot bowrider with a 140 hp 3.0 liter. Full insurance including total loss is about $165 a year. Your fuel economy will vary, lot's of skiiing will deplete the fuel tank quickly, while planing at cruising speed will give you good range.

However, a heavy, 19 foot bowrider with 115 hp might have to work harder to get on plane and require a compromise with prop pitch. I would expect less fuel economy than a V6.

Insures is not required or mandatory on boats, but is a good idea.
- Liability insurance will protect you in the case that you cause injury or damage to anyone or anything as a result of the use and operation of your boat. Its pretty easy to run into things in the water, especially swimmers. If you plan to do water skiing and you pull someone and they are hurt, liability insurance should protect you against that
- Damage/loss protection: if you're looking to buy a boat worth any decent amount of money, you may want to protect your purchase against damage, so in the event of the unthinkable.. accident, crash, theft, fire etc you will be covered.
Look into it, you'll find that complete coverage for your boat wont be much more than a couple of hundred per year.

So I bought the boat. Its an older (92) Bayliner with super low hours in mint shape. We put a value of $2000 on the bill of sale, yet they still quoted me $350 for insurance. That seesm excessive!

As with bikes, most of your premium will be for liability, only a small portion will be for the boat itself. Check with your home policy and see if you can add a rider for the boat, it may be cheaper.

Boats are incredibly thirsty. It's easy to go through a couple of hundreds dollars of gas per weekend if you do a lot of skiing. Bayliners (They line the bottom of the bay) are lighter and more economical.

I called the opp marine unit and they toldMe it is mandatory to have insurance but you won't be asked when stoped for proof. I just got a 2000 four wins 180 with a 4.3 and I pay 450 for the year full coverage

Back
Top Bottom