noob crashes cbr 125 | GTAMotorcycle.com

noob crashes cbr 125

brucewayne

i was just at my friend place down the street, going around the parking circle in front of the apartment and i got throttle happy, went up onto the curb and into a heavy cement block hold a sign. im fine, it was only like 5-10km but now i have a broken front rim, a bent gear shifter, and the mirror snapped off. can the tire still be good if the rim is broken? the rim is clearly broken from where is ran into the block but my noob eyes the tire still looks good. can i just bang the gear shifter into place or get a new one? im probably gonna have to truck/trailer the bike to fix the wheel right? whats this all gonna cost me? how long til i can ride again?

this sucks. i just did my longest ride ever, about 160km and went from loving riding to hating it in about 5min. i was basically 5 min walk from my place when it happened. i started it up and rode it home like 2 km per hour.

Get someone more experienced to look at it. Parts for those bikes are generally very cheap, and you should be able to find a used front rim. IF you are going to crash like that, you crashed pretty much the best bike to do it with.

The important thing is that you have now learned something not to do again ...

imo have the tire checked for sure so it doesn't lead to another accident (in case it is damaged/out of round). Also parts for both the 125 and 250 are very cheap, so if you do need to replace the shifter or anything it should be quite cheap.

thanks for the replies.

i know ill have to get the/a tire attached to the rim and balanced but after someone does that at a shop... can i attach the wheel myself? what about the shifter?

i want to learn how to fix/mod things. i don't mind investing in tools/equipment but i try to work my way up when it comes to things. are these fixes beyond way way beyond noob capabilities?

You can actually see that the wheel is broken? If so, I'd trash the tire without even getting it checked out; that's some significant force involved and it's not worth taking the chance. As for the shifter, you may be able to bend it back but once bent (twice) it will always be weakened and they're cheap, so I'd replace it rather than risk being stranded at the side of the road with a broken shifter.

If you want to do the work yourself (assuming you're somewhat mechanically inclined), the first investment for you is to buy the service manual. Once you have that, you can see what work, tools, and skills are involved in the job you want to do then decide how you want to proceed.

Glad you're ok, everyone crashes, as long as you're not hurt its not a big deal. You should be able to put the rim and shifter back on, but there's a good chance you tweaked the front end when you crashed. I would get a shop to look at it if you're not comfortable taking off the forks and checking them with v blocks for bends.

Putting a wheel back on shouldn't be that taxing. Front brake calipers and the axle bolt. Do you have stands?

My advice is to get the maintenance manual (not the owners manual).

You can actually see that the wheel is broken? If so, I'd trash the tire without even getting it checked out; that's some significant force involved and it's not worth taking the chance. As for the shifter, you may be able to bend it back but once bent (twice) it will always be weakened and they're cheap, so I'd replace it rather than risk being stranded at the side of the road with a broken shifter.

If you want to do the work yourself (assuming you're somewhat mechanically inclined), the first investment for you is to buy the service manual. Once you have that, you can see what work, tools, and skills are involved in the job you want to do then decide how you want to proceed.

^Agree with this. I wouldn't trust that the carcass or belts haven't been compromised by an impact like that. 5-10 km/h isn't much but it had to have hit the corner or edge of the cement block to do that kind of damage to the rim right through the tire. Good luck and glad you're ok.

How many km total have you ridden now? did you think of taking one of the m1 exit courses?

Certainly it is possible for a home mechanic to do that sort of thing, if you have the right tools. You will need a method of supporting the front of the bike off the ground, for one thing. You need to know how to use sockets and torque wrenches and you need the factory service manual in order to find out the correct tightening torques. You need a shred of common sense with regards to how mechanical stuff works in general (not everyone has this). It's impossible to assess your capabilities over the internet. Just beware that installing the front wheel involves removing and installing the front brake caliper and the front axle. Get those wrong ... forget to tighten the bolts ... or overtighten the bolts and strip the threads ... and then you have a very big safety-critcial problem on your hands. Wheels falling off, brake calipers falling off, that sort of thing. We don't know how capable you are with mechanical stuff in general. But ... if I were to GUESS ... by the nature of the questions that you are asking, in the place that you are asking them ... I am going to GUESS that you have very little mechanical capability and would be better off paying a mechanic to do this job.

It's really, really easy to swap out the front wheel on that bike. Support front of bike off the ground. 2 bolts to remove the brake caliper ... 1 nut for the axle ... pull the axle out ... transfer the spacers and speedo drive to the other wheel ... stick the other wheel in and shove the axle thru ... make sure the speedo drive is properly engaged with both the wheel and the bottom of the fork ... tighten axle ... install brake caliper ... install and torque bolts ... check your work ... done. And you can see that this is what is involved just by LOOKING at it.

"If you had the knowledge and skill to do this job properly, you wouldn't be asking the question you asked in the place that you asked it."

Just my opinion, though.

You can actually see that the wheel is broken? If so, I'd trash the tire without even getting it checked out; that's some significant force involved and it's not worth taking the chance.

yes the one side is crack and the tire is out. it hit the edge of the cinder block, about a foot high. yes it was a heck of a wack and look like a rounded 90 degree knock from the corner top of the block.

I'm curious to see a pic of the carnage. That's a hell of a hit to do that to a wheel. Do you know if your forks bent?

How many km total have you ridden now? did you think of taking one of the m1 exit courses?

ive only ridden 990km on my own. i did rti about the start of april. today is my 60th since doing the m1. ill hand in papers tomorrow.

im fairly athletic and mechanically inclined so i should get the hang of riding. but i think i got too excited after my 160km trip and overlooked making that 0.1km home. i had gotten out into the 905 countryside, tried quickshifting, tried to max the bike out (only got to 110 ugh) and i think i got too excited and throttle happy. i just want to fix this mess and get going asap.

response to Roomie
hmm i dunno. they seem fine i dunno. yes it was a good knock. perhaps the little cbr 125 wheels and rims aren't as strong as the bigger bikes?

i will take some pics when i get the chance.

Last edited:
"If you had the knowledge and skill to do this job properly, you wouldn't be asking the question you asked in the place that you asked it."

Just my opinion, though.

i think you are right. if i had to, i might be able to but its not worth the peace of mind or the down time for me to research. for something this important i should let professionals do it and try to observe and learn as much as possible from them in the process. id rather learn these things more casually then under pressure.

Do the forks seem bent? If the force was enough to break the rim, perhaps the forks got bent a bit too?? Hopefully not though...

change your nick to robin?? ;)

seriously - glad you are okay and you didn't hit the block instead of the front end.

Sucks losing your ride for a few days. Certainly ditch the tire - and since you seem willing I'd tackle the fix.
Ideally sweet talk another more experienced rider nearby to lend a hand - much easier to get the bike into a workable position.

That tends to be the frequent new rider crash is slow turns and either a throttle blip or grabbing a handful of front brake.

IF you have CAA + you can get a tow but let everyone know where you are so people can advise places for fix or parts.

Good attitude tho and at least you got 2/3 of your long weekend. If you are west Mississauga area I'd highly recommend Adrian

Ace MotoTech - Adrian
651 Holly Ave
Milton, ON
L9T 0G3
Map
416-471-0602

response to Roomie
hmm i dunno. they seem fine i dunno. yes it was a good knock. perhaps the little cbr 125 wheels and rims aren't as strong as the bigger bikes?

i will take some pics when i get the chance.

A knock at 15km/h against a curb will probably dent a bigger bike's rim as well. If your rim is bent, just get a new one. They're not as expensive as the bigger ones.

BTW. Listen to Brian P's posts - He's a CBR125 wiz!

change your nick to robin?? ;)

seriously - glad you are okay and you didn't hit the block instead of the front end.

Sucks losing your ride for a few days. Certainly ditch the tire - and since you seem willing I'd tackle the fix.
Ideally sweet talk another more experienced rider nearby to lend a hand - much easier to get the bike into a workable position.

That tends to be the frequent new rider crash is slow turns and either a throttle blip or grabbing a handful of front brake.

IF you have CAA + you can get a tow but let everyone know where you are so people can advise places for fix or parts.

Good attitude tho and at least you got 2/3 of your long weekend. If you are west Mississauga area I'd highly recommend Adrian

Ace MotoTech - Adrian
651 Holly Ave
Milton, ON
L9T 0G3
Map
416-471-0602

yes i feel quite the robin right now. who crashes a 125 geeze. i think i wouldve preferred to hit the block instead of the bike. i spent about 1500 in gear. lots of gear, smallest bike

im in the north scarborough area close to markham. ill contact the markham outdoor power people tomorrow but i don't know much about parts or mechanics or anything.

i actually got sent a caa brochure the other day and was thinking about joining. a couple threads also mention american motorcycle association or something. can i sign up for caa plus and have them tow my bike from my place? and maybe back from the shop too haha. seems like a perfect time to sign up if they will accept me and my need for a tow so quickly.

A knock at 15km/h against a curb will probably dent a bigger bike's rim as well. If your rim is bent, just get a new one. They're not as expensive as the bigger ones.

BTW. Listen to Brian P's posts - He's a CBR125 wiz!

yeah probably. it was a filled in cinder block essentially. it was pretty dang heavy. the knock slid it 5-10 feet though. the sign attached to it read "fire route" couldnt they have just stuck the sign in the ground or on the wall. if the block wasn't there i probably wouldve just went on the path for a few feet and then turned out of it..... or i couldve just gassed it into a wall or person or something i dunno.

its looks like ill need these 3 parts at least. well the last one is the rear wheel and not the front. are fronts cheaper and/easier to deal with that backs by chance? they are smaller...
http://www.brooksbarn.co.uk/CBR125-GEAR-CHANGE-LEVER-PEDAL_AQIR3.aspx
http://www.brooksbarn.co.uk/CBR125-Clutch-Lever-HolderBracket-mirror_AQIP6.aspx
http://www.brooksbarn.co.uk/CBR125-REAR-WHEEL_ASZ47.aspx

Back
Top Bottom