no vin, no dirt? | GTAMotorcycle.com

no vin, no dirt?

deathrail

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased an 89 yz250. Like a fool I forgot to get a receipt or bill of sale for the bike and after bringing her home and giving the look over, I don't see a VIN.
(damn not being on a bike for 10 years and the adrenaline of test drive take over my thinking correctly)

On my old mans 93 yz the sticker is on the front of the frame where my bracket is for hold the cdi. Ive contacted the seller but not sure hes going to get back to me. Im trying to get the bike set up for some of the great trails Ive been looking into that require a green plate and insurance.

All I have to support that I didn't steal this bike myself is the emails communicating with the seller, their home phone and address.

So how would someone go about this with a 22 year ol bike? My thoughts were maybe finding a frame with a vin??... but now i feel like a chop shop making my way around something shady, although its old i love this bike I did pay fair and square!

I would try and get a bill of sale or something to prove you paid for it as soon as possible. The same thing happened to me, it turned out to be stolen and caused a lot of trouble. Do you ride in hamilton? I know a few trails that you wouldn't need a licence.

No I live in Cambridge. If you would share some places with me it would be greatly appreciated. Are they private property?

No I live in Cambridge. If you would share some places with me it would be greatly appreciated. Are they private property?

Don't listen to the guy above.

there are NO trails in the hamilton Area that you can ride without insurance and a license plate.

Write your own receipt and send a copy to the seller.

Indicate you plan to register the bike, the seller should have no issue with this

Register the bike to you with that receipt, get the ownership/plate and the bike is yours.

Get the UVIP....I am betting the previous owner never put it in his name either, so a bill of sale from him to you may not help at all.

Get the UVIP....I am betting the previous owner never put it in his name either, so a bill of sale from him to you may not help at all.

there will be no UVIP on that bike.

the YZ was a competion MX bike, they were sold without an ownership in those days, simply a written bill of sale from the dealer.

Unless someone has registered/plated it the MTO would have no knowledge of its existence(and the fact that it came without an ownership means it would not have been plated)

there will be no UVIP on that bike.

the YZ was a competion MX bike, they were sold without an ownership in those days, simply a written bill of sale from the dealer.

Unless someone has registered/plated it the MTO would have no knowledge of its existence(and the fact that it came without an ownership means it would not have been plated)

if thats the case you may have to go the notary route, write an affidavit, swearing that you bought the bike from the legal owner, get it notarized and then go transfer it.

This is what i used, and so did a few others that i personally know.

My’ Affidavit

I, $#@% of CITY Ontario hereby swear that I am the legal and rightful owner of a INSERT BIKE NAME HERE Off-road vehicle bearing VIN # VIN NUMBER OF BIKE

I purchased this vehicle from JOHN DOE of CITY Ontario on DATE WITHIN 6 days of current date for the sum of $1000.

The previous owner had never registered this vehicle, and therefore did not have any ownership papers to sign over to me at the time of sale. Attempts have been made to contact the previous owner, those attempts have been unsuccessful.

if thats the case you may have to go the notary route, write an affidavit, swearing that you bought the bike from the legal owner, get it notarized and then go transfer it.

This is what i used, and so did a few others that i personally know.

My’ Affidavit

I, $#@% of CITY Ontario hereby swear that I am the legal and rightful owner of a INSERT BIKE NAME HERE Off-road vehicle bearing VIN # VIN NUMBER OF BIKE

I purchased this vehicle from JOHN DOE of CITY Ontario on DATE WITHIN 6 days of current date for the sum of $1000.

The previous owner had never registered this vehicle, and therefore did not have any ownership papers to sign over to me at the time of sale. Attempts have been made to contact the previous owner, those attempts have been unsuccessful.

Thank you greatly for this information! I've went to the MTO and the bike has been registered so I have to try and make contact with the original owner (who registered in 1989) to try and get a bill of sale from him. If I dont make contact then I write the affidavit and my lawyer will sign for 25 bucks and Im done! I was feeling stuck, again thanks for the info guys!

Thank you greatly for this information! I've went to the MTO and the bike has been registered so I have to try and make contact with the original owner (who registered in 1989) to try and get a bill of sale from him. If I dont make contact then I write the affidavit and my lawyer will sign for 25 bucks and Im done! I was feeling stuck, again thanks for the info guys!

I did the same thing with my 94 YZ250 this spring, I went to Town Hall in Milton and it was even cheaper then the $25 if I remember right. I stressed about this for 2 seasons but it was so easy. You are even supplied with the affidavit form where it is basically fill in the blanks at town hall. 5 minutes and it was all done. MTO asked how much I paid...say $100 and then they charge tax on that and the $35 for the plate and license. For less then $100 and 30 minutes of your time it is all done.

Back
Top Bottom