No more demo rides? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

No more demo rides?

So I went for the HD demo today at Policaro in Oakville. Anybody else go? The had a big list of bikes, I took the Breakout 114 for a spin on ride #6. Holy **** does that bike feel like it has a ton of power. It picks up really fast with a flick of the throttle, apparently it's good to 130 in 3rd. One of the guys on my ride put a little too much wrist into his takeoff on a road king from a light, had a bit of fish tail action but he recovered. Alot of people expect big Harleys to be slow, but those baggers can still take off with their monster motors, They may not have the HP to hang with a supersport, but you don't need to, there's nowhere on this side of the world where you can get away with trying to find the end of a bike's powerband anyway. These machines have torque for days, and that is what you really want. There's now nothing that will keep me from getting an HD for my next ride, I found the Policaro store to be a great experience aswell and it will likely end up being where I purchase, I think it's closer than Clare's anyway.

They had a food truck on site, Rancho Relaxo, dealing out complimentary tacos, burritos and quesadillas. The store is big, well laid out, fully stocked and nicely designed. A ton of metal on the floor to drool over, as well as plenty of (fairly expensive)gear, apparel and collectibles. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

I must say, there is far too much misconception going around about HD. You guys need to get out there and try one. Get into one of these newer stores and check out the experience. The bikes have tech now, maybe too much tech. The Breakout I tried for example had an alien looking LED headlight that's probably all sorts of super bright at night, it also had a digital dash almost hidden in the handle bars it's so low profile, standard ABS and HD security including keyless start(keyfob proximity sort of thing), and ofcourse the newish Milwaukee Eight engines are pretty awesome. If you don't like noise, I found even the 114 to be pretty quiet for my taste as stock, and if you like it loud, there is no bike in the world with as much aftermarket support as HD. When I do, and I will, buy my HD I'll probably spec it with either screamin eagle or V&H pipes, as like I said it was fairly quiet. I think I need to go to the demo at clare's at the end of the month though to try out a couple others. On my way home I was thinking I should have tried the Fatboy and maybe a bagger, I've liked Fatboys since Terminator 2 came out, and baggers are definitely growing on me as an aging adult.

Plain and simple, final word, if you're a cruiser guy, go and ride a Harley. If you think some day you might want a Harley but you're gonna get a metric to tie you over, go and ride a Harley. If you're thinking you don't want a Harley because they're not fast enough for you, go and try a Harley. If you are looking at indians because you're a millennial that wants to be "different", go and try a Harley(Indians have HP, HDs have torque, HP is useless). I Like my Honda, love riding it really, but I can say without a doubt that I kind of regret not going directly to the Harley. If you think you can't afford a Harley... Go and try their financing, because nobody pays cash for big ticket items anymore, and you might as well have a frickin HARLEY!
How was the route and pace?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Route was about 20-25 minutes, They're on south service near Dorval, so it's mostly service roads. Mix of 60-80kmh. It does give you some curves to see how it feels with a bit of a lean. No tail of the dragon stuff, but enough to get a feel for it.

So I went for the HD demo today at Policaro in Oakville. Anybody else go? The had a big list of bikes, I took the Breakout 114 for a spin on ride #6. Holy **** does that bike feel like it has a ton of power. It picks up really fast with a flick of the throttle, apparently it's good to 130 in 3rd. One of the guys on my ride put a little too much wrist into his takeoff on a road king from a light, had a bit of fish tail action but he recovered. Alot of people expect big Harleys to be slow, but those baggers can still take off with their monster motors, They may not have the HP to hang with a supersport, but you don't need to, there's nowhere on this side of the world where you can get away with trying to find the end of a bike's powerband anyway. These machines have torque for days, and that is what you really want. There's now nothing that will keep me from getting an HD for my next ride, I found the Policaro store to be a great experience aswell and it will likely end up being where I purchase, I think it's closer than Clare's anyway.

They had a food truck on site, Rancho Relaxo, dealing out complimentary tacos, burritos and quesadillas. The store is big, well laid out, fully stocked and nicely designed. A ton of metal on the floor to drool over, as well as plenty of (fairly expensive)gear, apparel and collectibles. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

I must say, there is far too much misconception going around about HD. You guys need to get out there and try one. Get into one of these newer stores and check out the experience. The bikes have tech now, maybe too much tech. The Breakout I tried for example had an alien looking LED headlight that's probably all sorts of super bright at night, it also had a digital dash almost hidden in the handle bars it's so low profile, standard ABS and HD security including keyless start(keyfob proximity sort of thing), and ofcourse the newish Milwaukee Eight engines are pretty awesome. If you don't like noise, I found even the 114 to be pretty quiet for my taste as stock, and if you like it loud, there is no bike in the world with as much aftermarket support as HD. When I do, and I will, buy my HD I'll probably spec it with either screamin eagle or V&H pipes, as like I said it was fairly quiet. I think I need to go to the demo at clare's at the end of the month though to try out a couple others. On my way home I was thinking I should have tried the Fatboy and maybe a bagger, I've liked Fatboys since Terminator 2 came out, and baggers are definitely growing on me as an aging adult.

Plain and simple, final word, if you're a cruiser guy, go and ride a Harley. If you think some day you might want a Harley but you're gonna get a metric to tie you over, go and ride a Harley. If you're thinking you don't want a Harley because they're not fast enough for you, go and try a Harley. If you are looking at indians because you're a millennial that wants to be "different", go and try a Harley(Indians have HP, HDs have torque, HP is useless). I Like my Honda, love riding it really, but I can say without a doubt that I kind of regret not going directly to the Harley. If you think you can't afford a Harley... Go and try their financing, because nobody pays cash for big ticket items anymore, and you might as well have a frickin HARLEY!

does HD pay you a flat rate or by the word ?

lol I wish, even a Jacket would have been nice, it's almost half a paycheck. Sadly, they only earned my support through an iconic product and a great experience.

Amen... lol I have always been anti cruiser harley or whatever but I drank the koolaid last year before my test ride on the roadking and I've never been the same since.... that 114 black fatboy on the left side tucked by accessories isle is dreamy. The breakout is a beaute but the fatboy ooompa.

btw was there sat and knew about the demo but no go cause would take my dough

Last edited:
Amen... lol I have always been anti cruiser harley or whatever but I drank the koolaid last year before my test ride on the roadking and I've never been the same since.... that 114 black fatboy on the left side tucked by accessories isle is dreamy. The breakout is a beaute but the fatboy ooompa.

btw was there sat and knew about the demo but no go cause would take my dough

The 119ft-lbs of torque the Breakout 114 thumps out is an impressive number but I'd hope for at least that much from 1868cc of displacement. What's the horsepower? I hate that HD advertises their engines like Briggs & Stratton now; torque only.

Also, one thing I don't get is how that bike weighs so much: Quoted wet weight is 672 pounds? Is the whole thing made of lead? And a single front disc?

I looked up dyno numbers last week, HP is 86 to the wheel at 5200 and TQ to the wheel is 107@3250 both in 5th, not that it matters, because you could lose your license just as easily with a little more than half of that. HP is top speed, TQ is how fast you get there. Cruisers are heavy, they're meant to be, metrics don't do any better. A modern Shadow is working with only 45HP and 48TQ to push around 550Lbs and that's with all plastic bodywork. Oh and Honda's braking for that heavy bike? Single front disc, rear cable actuated drum. Harleys have hydraulic rear disc.

I've found that very few manufacturers list performance specs, Honda doesn't list either number on the Shadow, because anybody who saw the numbers wouldn't even bother trying it. For comparison, HD's street 750 is 70lbs lighter than a Shadow, with 53HP and 45TQ at $300 less MSRP.

So the comparing apples to apples, the HD manages to squash 3 very common misconceptions right out of the gate, by being faster, lighter and cheaper than it's comparable metric cousin.

The 119ft-lbs of torque the Breakout 114 thumps out is an impressive number but I'd hope for at least that much from 1868cc of displacement. What's the horsepower? I hate that HD advertises their engines like Briggs & Stratton now; torque only.

Also, one thing I don't get is how that bike weighs so much: Quoted wet weight is 672 pounds? Is the whole thing made of lead? And a single front disc?
I hear ya.... the brakes...the weight....buttt... numbers are just numbers....ride one and you will see. For hooliganization a big displacement engine with big tourque and less then 100hp IMO will stretch your arms like a gorilla and is more fun then winding up a r6 like a top.
The hp rating who knows...its a secret and the weight well lets say no fake steel or plastic chrome lol ... milwaukee iron weighs..
I wanna twist a diavel's neck and see what gives.

I looked up dyno numbers last week, HP is 86 to the wheel at 5200 and TQ to the wheel is 107@3250 both in 5th, not that it matters, because you could lose your license just as easily with a little more than half of that.

86hp is an ok number. But with a wet weight of 672#s plus, say, 200#s for a rider, the weight to power ratio of 10.14lbs/hp is kinda high for a machine with "drag-bike heritage."

HP is top speed, TQ is how fast you get there.

An oversimplification but I don't feel like arguing HP/T here :)

Cruisers are heavy...

Right. But I'm looking at pics of that bike wondering where all that weight is coming from. This isn't some barcalounger Goldwing or monster bagger with heavy passenger- and load-bearing structures, massive plastics for wind protection, electronics out the wazoo etc; it's an engine, a frame and wheels. Somehow they get to six-hundred seventy two pounds.

A modern Shadow is working with only 45HP and 48TQ to push around 550Lbs and that's with all plastic bodywork. Oh and Honda's braking for that heavy bike? Single front disc, rear cable actuated drum. Harleys have hydraulic rear disc.

I'm not defending Honda here. That class of bike is definitely not my thing; 45HP from 750cc is pretty bad, drum brakes egregious etc. Seems like sort of a lame, under-engineered genre all around. Honda, Harley and the rest are sitting on their laurels.

I just find the Harley to be more glaring in light of your comment "Holy **** does that bike feel like it has a ton of power.": I expected something...different, I guess, when I looked up its specs and saw the weight, the displacement and the low specific power output, especially in light of its asking price. Jesus, that thing is around $3500 more than my Tuono was.

For comparison, HD's street 750 is 70lbs lighter than a Shadow, with 53HP and 45TQ at $300 less MSRP.

Most of the tests I've read of the S750 lament its crude welds, exposed wiring, ****** fasteners (aka "cut rate build quality") and lame front brake while indeed praising its engine. It's the right formula for sure -- lighter, better weight/power etc -- but if the only way Harley gets there is to make everything cut-rate, they'll earn themselves a Hyosung-like reputation before long.

Still trying to figure out why the Breakout so heavy...

I hear ya.... the brakes...the weight....buttt... numbers are just numbers....ride one and you will see.

I'm definitely curious to see what the big deal is about :)

For hooliganization a big displacement engine with big tourque and less then 100hp IMO will stretch your arms like a gorilla and is more fun then winding up a r6 like a top.

A 600 at 15000rpm sounds pretty cool but wouldn't be ideal for the street. Imagine if the specific output of the Harley approached the R6; it'd be making 370hp with all those cubic inches :)

I wanna twist a diavel's neck and see what gives.

A great example of what tech can give: 1200cc, 152hp, 516#s wet weight, dual Brembos up front and the thing seems like it could be had at about the same price, if not cheaper, than the Breakout.

I'm definitely curious to see what the big deal is about :)

A 600 at 15000rpm sounds pretty cool but wouldn't be ideal for the street. Imagine if the specific output of the Harley approached the R6; it'd be making 370hp with all those cubic inches :)

A great example of what tech can give: 1200cc, 152hp, 516#s wet weight, dual Brembos up front and the thing seems like it could be had at about the same price, if not cheaper, than the Breakout.
But a "PORTUGESE GUY" riding an "ITALIAN BIKE". I don't know how that will go down with my fellow sardinians:rolleyes:. The diavel performance wise...hell ya the best of both worlds but for me ugly as sin but willing to give it a shot. The m109r would another arm stretcher but too "run of the mill" for me.

I looked up dyno numbers last week, HP is 86 to the wheel at 5200 and TQ to the wheel is 107@3250 both in 5th, not that it matters, because you could lose your license just as easily with a little more than half of that. HP is top speed, TQ is how fast you get there. Cruisers are heavy, they're meant to be, metrics don't do any better. A modern Shadow is working with only 45HP and 48TQ to push around 550Lbs and that's with all plastic bodywork. Oh and Honda's braking for that heavy bike? Single front disc, rear cable actuated drum. Harleys have hydraulic rear disc.

I've found that very few manufacturers list performance specs, Honda doesn't list either number on the Shadow, because anybody who saw the numbers wouldn't even bother trying it. For comparison, HD's street 750 is 70lbs lighter than a Shadow, with 53HP and 45TQ at $300 less MSRP.

So the comparing apples to apples, the HD manages to squash 3 very common misconceptions right out of the gate, by being faster, lighter and cheaper than it's comparable metric cousin.

Lolwhat?

umm... brotha from anotha motha?(assuming you meant my use of the word cousin. If you meant my calling the HD cheaper... 750 Street $8999, Shadow $9299 MSRP)

The rebel is $900 cheaper than the 500 Street, but does the young new rider want to tell his friends he got a rebel? Or a Harley? To me, saying I have a Harley is worth $900, or like $15/month

Last edited:
Nevermind, re-read your post, i will agree that in the cruiser market segment, there is only 1 choice. (indian doesn't even remotely have the dealer network, the financial services, and probably a whole lot of other areas where it cant match up to HD)

Any more demo rides coming up in Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge I should know about?
Just checked Tri-City Cycle, they are having a Demo Day on June 23rd: https://www.tricitycycle.ca/check-out-our-events--xcalendar
June 23, 2018 TRI CITY CYCLE & SPORT 351 WEBER ST. N. Waterloo, Ontario N2J3H8 CANADA Join us from 9am to 1pm and test ride a selection of Yamaha and Suzuki motorcycles. You need to call in and book a time slot. Free hot dogs!! A Demo Day Only sale on helmets and apparel!!
demoday-bw.jpg

Did anyone manage to go to the ATC corral demo day?

I missed it and was wondering what the route/pacing was like?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The ATC Corral demo route was north on York/Durham, east on Wagg, north on one of the concessions to Durham 8, then back down York/Durham. The pace was pretty close to the regular traffic speed in that area, which is generally above the limit but nothing that would attract unwanted attention.

Most of their slots were prebooked, but there were a lot of no-shows. I was surprised that no one took out the Ninja 400 while I was there.

I tried the KLX250. I want to be nice, but that thing was dog slow. Good suspension for a street bike, and it would be fine for forest road stuff, but it will not be replacing my old KDX.

I also took out the Ninja 650 while my wife tried the Z650. Both are much lighter and more powerful than my DL650, but I could immediately feel the parallel twin buzz through the bars and pegs that I remember from my old Ninja 500, which would cause my hands and feet to tingle all night after a long ride. My wife immediately started shopping for a Z650 as soon as we got home though.

. My wife immediately started shopping for a Z650 as soon as we got home though.

See manufacturers, demo days work. Not every rider is a tire kicker :)

I wonder if they could implement pay to play or if that would cause insurance problems. eg. to take part in a demo day is $100, if you buy a bike you get your $100 off. That would be no problem for anyone seriously considering spending $5000++ on a bike.

See manufacturers, demo days work. Not every rider is a tire kicker :)

I wonder if they could implement pay to play or if that would cause insurance problems. eg. to take part in a demo day is $100, if you buy a bike you get your $100 off. That would be no problem for anyone seriously considering spending $5000++ on a bike.

This X 100. I would be completely ok with paying a few bucks to demo for a bike I'm considering buying. Spend a couple bucks narrowing it down, and then buy what you like(that day or down the road)

Although if insurance cart..I mean companies are causing problems there is little the manufacturers can do

Back
Top Bottom