Next upgrade for under 25,s | GTAMotorcycle.com

Next upgrade for under 25,s

ruffriders

My son is currently riding an rc390 and wants to move to something bigger, but insurance... he likes the CB650 but the insurance is higher than a CBR600. Where can he go under 600cc with a more upright riding position, still sporty, some more power and won’t kill him on insurance for the next 3 years until he’s 25.

Try the SV650....lowest rates in the engine class. But having said that CBR600 is usually more than a naked bike. Or go to the CBR500 cause it sounds like his insurance company only cares about ccs

If he's interested in a naked style maybe a cb500f? Ride it for a few years until 25 then go for the bigger bike.

the Honda 500 twin, although larger displacement
would be a downgrade in performance and fun factor over the 390

the CB500F has 3 more HP and weighs 100 lbs more

even the fully faired CBR500R, claimed sport bike
is still only 49 HP - 3 more than the F, 6 more than the 390
and 420 lbs vs. 324 lbs for the RC390
and the more R's in the name, the higher the insurance

upright, sporty and under 600cc is a tough one if he's looking for a current bike
can't think of anything that will be a performance upgrade over the 390

FZ6, not FZ6R. Getting a bit old now, but they can be found for dirt cheap.

Upright seating, 90ish HP, can go touring, sporty riding, 2up, etc.

J_F summed it up pretty good.

I find that kind of odd about the CB650 though being more expensive then a CBR600. Anyways to me the next logical step from a Duke 390 would be a Yamaha FZ-07 in my mind, 70ish horsepower so nothing crazy but a real nice bump from the 390. I'd try a few insurance companies again.

Duke 690 would be cool too. I realize both bikes are over 600cc but just what I would be looking to upgrade to from a Duke 390.

Try a SV650N (Make sure its the Naked version, end with an N and different VIN# if you get one of the older ones when the S model was around) Lots of people converted their S to N, the VIN stayed the same, and insurance still saw it as an S. It's a great bike, I was paying less on inusrance with my SV650N then I am with the CB500X I have now, and the SV was my first bike. A FZ-07 is another great choice, if it was in budget I'd get that instead.

It has an upright riding postion, though far far away from long distance comfort.

Another vote for the sv650. 23 even with tickets it's still fairly cheap to insure.

I found the sv650 to be fairly agressive in seating position, but im 6'2 and well over 200lbs
if hes getting quoted higher on a 650 than a 600rr, he needs to find a new broker

650's are imo the Goldilocks zone, plenty of power, usually comfortable, good on insurance, good on gas, reliable, affordable etc
(ninja 650/z650, sv650, mt07, cb650, versys,vstrom, fz6)

If he can afford new, then the sv is the right choice as they have the upright handlebars and more comfortable ergos,
when I refer to the aggressive ergo, I refer to the older sv650S with the clipons

The bandit is also a good option for those on a budget. Can be had cheap, good power, cheap insurance.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Was also going to say MT07. With a tune they are nearly 70hp (some actually a bit more depending on mods) at the wheel and 405lbs wet.... not bad at all. Insurance doesn't seem bad either.

I find the SV650 super boring to ride compared to the MT. Just my opinion. Feels anemic.

I had a Honda 599 as my second bike when I was 19, insurance wasn't too bad (8 years ago). It's a comfier ride than a sport bike but can still take the curves well

hard to find those, in good condition, even harder
(I was looking for one a while back)

FZ6, not FZ6R. Getting a bit old now, but they can be found for dirt cheap.

Upright seating, 90ish HP, can go touring, sporty riding, 2up, etc.

My biased opinion agrees with the bike choice.
But since its "riding season" they are not as cheap as you would think.
I have seen prices as high as $5000 for a 2005 model. Not that these sell right away but.......

Keep in mind that a naked bike does not have the greatest wind protection, especially on a highway.
He may not like that. Would be a good idea for him to try one out before committing to it.

I am still battling with options for my naked problems.

I think your's is naked naked, right? The factory half fairing with a different windshield worked reasonably well on mine. Did lots of touring on it.

Make sure you really check around if looking at engine size above 500cc. I bought a CBR650F back in 2015, and lots of insurance priced it as high or higher than the CB600RR. Found Johnson insurance, and it was cheaper for full coverage than basic from the other places.

You might have some luck with non-SS bikes in the 600cc category like the Suzuki Bandit 600 or a Yamaha FZ6, maybe a Kawasaki Versys 650 or a Suzuki Vstrom 650, but chances are it's still going to cost more than he wants to pay/can pay to ride. He may just have to enjoy the 390 for a few more years. It's a fun bike and he shouldn't be outgrowing it yet. Send him for a training course like Sharp Rider or to a racing course and he'll find out he's nowhere near the limits of that bike except maybe in straight line acceleration.

He may just have to enjoy the 390 for a few more years. It's a fun bike and he shouldn't be outgrowing it yet. Send him for a training course like Sharp Rider or to a racing course and he'll find out he's nowhere near the limits of that bike except maybe in straight line acceleration.

This would be my advice as well.

My .02c -

I worked my way up to the big bikes, but will always keep a smaller displacement bike (if possible) for a 2nd bike to rip on.

I find myself wanting a ktm rc390. Fun to max out everywhere; start track days with it.

My 2nd bike is a wr250x. I had my big bike out once this year. The little bike yas been my "social distancing" bike of choice as of late. Been out on it nearly every day.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom