Newbie! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Newbie!

syedahamed

Hello ..I have just (today) passed my M1 exit Road test after completing the MTOHP safety course. I realize that I have to wait for 60 days to approach the MTO to exchange my M1 for M2. Really?! I am just exploring ways to start riding as I am not sure if I can get insurance coverage at a reasonable premium for the intervening period (from now until I get my M2 from the MTO). After my M2 on completion of MTO approved MC safety course I believe I can get insurance coverage, but I am not sure about now. Does anyone know if there is a rent a MC (similar to rent a car) facility / location in the GTA?

Welcome.

A number of motorcycle specific insurance companies will insure an M1 rider who has completed a recognized M1X training course as technically an M2 rider while the clock ticks down to you being able to actually to get the M2 on paper - they know it's just an arbitrary date at that point so they rate you accordingly. Call around.

What kind of bike are you looking at?

Hello ..I have just (today) passed my M1 exit Road test after completing the MTOHP safety course. I realize that I have to wait for 60 days to approach the MTO to exchange my M1 for M2. Really?! I am just exploring ways to start riding as I am not sure if I can get insurance coverage at a reasonable premium for the intervening period (from now until I get my M2 from the MTO). After my M2 on completion of MTO approved MC safety course I believe I can get insurance coverage, but I am not sure about now. Does anyone know if there is a rent a MC (similar to rent a car) facility / location in the GTA?
Renting is an expensive options and there are some dangers as not all renters are in compliance with their insurance policy rules. You are best yo look for your own ins. For beginners, a few things will impact your insurance costs, they are:

1) Your driving record. If you have 3 or more HAT offences, wait until all but 1 are expunged from your record (3 yrs from the date you paid the fine)
2) Bike size. Take the displacement and multiply by 10 to get a general idea of what an annual ins premium will cost an under 25 new rider with less than 6 years experience. Not a hard and fast rule, but good for illustrating the point. A 125 CC enduro or CBR will cost you $1000 or less a year, a 250 1800-2500 and if you want a 600CC bike expect to pay $5-6K. If you're riding around the city, look for a small used bike, ride it for a couple of years to collect experience.

I was looking at Honda CBR 125 and the premium was also seems reasonable but i m not sure if it comes under Sports bike or a Street / Standard category. I like the handlebar similar to the Suzuki Vanvan model (as I do not want to bend myself) , any older models (in Honda etc) similar to that?

Good choice for a first bike. As long as you have a clean record and hopefully don't live in an insurance hotspot postal code (although most of Toronto isn't good, but there are partularly bad areas...*cough*...Brampton) you should have no problems finding someone willing to insure you as an M2 rider even though you technically still hold an M1. Just be sure to tell them you've passed a recognized M1X course and be prepared to send them a copy of your certificate proving such - they will almost certainly ask for it.

Remember, insurance is billed over 12 months despite a 6-8 month riding season, so starting insurance this time of year means you continue to pay all winter even when you're not riding - it's a hard pill for some new riders starting this time of year to swallow, but the alternative would be much higher monthly rates. ;)

yeah thats what I was told, there is no provision for suspending MC ins during the winter months (almost 7 months a year)

Welcome to the hobby. Good luck in your endeavor to find and bike and insurance.

yeah thats what I was told, there is no provision for suspending MC ins during the winter months (almost 7 months a year)

It wouldn't save you any money anyways. Insurance companies know we only ride certain months of the year here so they weight the billing accordingly. A (for example) $1200/year policy is still a $1200/year policy, the only difference is you pay $100/month for 12 months instead of $200/month for 6 months of the actual riding season.

I was looking at Honda CBR 125 and the premium was also seems reasonable but i m not sure if it comes under Sports bike or a Street / Standard category. I like the handlebar similar to the Suzuki Vanvan model (as I do not want to bend myself) , any older models (in Honda etc) similar to that?
CBR125 is an older model, they discontinued importing them into Canada a couple years ago, it's a standard bike that just happens to have a little fairing on it.
The reason to bend forward is the wind, if you're not leaning into the wind, at speed you are holding on so it don't blow you off the bike.
Best luck, have fun & stay safe biker (y)

Welcome!

I started riding this year as well. 22. Got my M2 a few months back. No previous history. Live Downtown.

I'm on a CBR125. Great for city. It is technically a "CBR125R" so they DO call it a sport bike I think. I am paying $2100/year as of now with Dalton Timmis (Echelon). I upped by A/B though to 1 and 2 million (non critical and critical respectively). No fire and theft cuz the deductible is more than the value of most 125's lol.

125 is also quite upright, so despite being labelled a sport by ins companies due to the R suffix, its more of a standard geometry I'd say?

Welcome!

I started riding this year as well. 22. Got my M2 a few months back. No previous history. Live Downtown.

I'm on a CBR125. Great for city. It is technically a "CBR125R" so they DO call it a sport bike I think. I am paying $2100/year as of now with Dalton Timmis (Echelon). I upped by A/B though to 1 and 2 million (non critical and critical respectively). No fire and theft cuz the deductible is more than the value of most 125's lol.

125 is also quite upright, so despite being labelled a sport by ins companies due to the R suffix, its more of a standard geometry I'd say?
Yikes -- that's more than I expected for a CBR125. My kid ran a Ninja 250 for $1200 a year when he was 18. He'll be 25 next renewal, his 125 enduro should be about $400 next season.

Yikes -- that's more than I expected for a CBR125. My kid ran a Ninja 250 for $1200 a year when he was 18. He'll be 25 next renewal, his 125 enduro should be about $400 next season.
Price to pay when you live in the core and it’s 2019 ? from everything I’ve read insurance now for new guys is way worse than it was 5 years ago. Others wanted $2500. A 250 for what its worth was always quoted about $300 more. But I got the 125 for a good price.

Hoping it will go down a bunch for me next year...

Ride lots, thats' the only way you can get your money worth :|

Back
Top Bottom