Newbie question about perforated gear? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Newbie question about perforated gear?

Nofear

Hey everyone, I was wondering what your thoughts were on perforated Jackets/Gloves/Boots for weather in the GTA. I'm wondering what type of gear I should buy for riding up here and need advice on the best all around choice for gear for getting the most out of the riding season. I'm afraid if the gear I buy is perforated too much, then it will be too cold in the early and late months in the season. And if I buy gear that is not perforated for air flow, I will get too hot in the summer. What do you guys prefer? ;)

I prefer mesh jacket in the really hot weather and leathers (none perforated) the rest of the time.
It's hard to have one jacket for all weather.

Jacket for sure. I have a vest that I put over it in the colder months. Gloves would only be good for the main summer, and would soak through in the rain, same with boots.
I also have a core cooler for the really hot days.

I'm not sure that some of the mesh gear would hold up in a slide.

Many jackets will come with a zip-in vest for the colder days. It's not much of an insulator but it does block the wind.. helps a good amount.

With my perforated leather jacket (Alpinestars Stage) I usually work with these combos:
-10C to about +5C -- jacket w/ vest + hoody + long sleeve t-shirt + t-shirt + finger mittens (may add a sweater in there if it's balls cold)
+5C to +10C -- jacket w/ vest + long sleeve t-shirt
+10C to +15C -- jacket + long sleeve t-shirt
hot days -- jacket + light t-shirt

Layering is your greatest weapon.

Most boots will be 'vented' rather than perforated. Aslong as your body temp is up, your feet shouldn't be cold whether you have vents or not. But vents really, really suck in the rain (think sponge). I tape my vents up when I get caught in the wet.

Last edited:
I have a perforated leather jacket and I do what ^^ said.....and I am fine. My gloves are perforated too, and that is not a good idea as my fingers and hands get freezing cold. I am gonna buy some gloves non-perforated gloves for the cold soon. My boots, I don't have boots, I just wear sneakers and other high ankle shoes, no complains.

Take a look at the Joe Rocket AlterEgo jacket...its heavy when its got everything in it, and not cheap, but it is a pretty nice jacket and has everything you would need.

Take a look at the Joe Rocket AlterEgo jacket...its heavy when its got everything in it, and not cheap, but it is a pretty nice jacket and has everything you would need.

+1

thats what i wear as well, balistic nylon outer shell does a decent job for wind and rain protection, unzips to reveal a mesh layer for the really hot days, but keeps the textile on the arms for road rash protection, and a final inner liner for extra wind protection, though i never use the inner liner, i find it makes me sweaty even in cooler temps.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I dont plan on buying my kit right now seeing as I dont plan on even getting my M1 this year. Highschool + no job = not enough cash for me to bother. I just hope I can find a good insurance quote when I turn 19 ;)

My boots, I don't have boots, I just wear sneakers and other high ankle shoes, no complains.

You should really think about it, it's surprisingly easy to get your feet mangled beyond repair in a crash.

Last edited:
My perforated gear is GREAT in the hot summer heat but sux in spring and fall. There really is no gear that is great for all riding conditions so people usually have different gear for different situations. I have 4 jackets, 2 boots, 3 pairs of gloves and about 5 helmets.

I dress according to the weather conditions.

Thanks everyone! I dont plan on buying my kit right now seeing as I dont plan on even getting my M1 this year. Highschool + no job = not enough cash for me to bother. I just hope I can find a good insurance quote when I turn 19 ;)

If you can, I would suggest getting your M1, then taking the course to get your M2. Even if you cant buy a bike, because next year when you do buy a bike, you will have had your licence for a year, which means lower insurance. I know you might not even be able to do that, but thats what I did, and bought my bike this year and it saved me a good chunk of money (I am 26 though, not sure what the difference would be for you)

Hey everyone, I was wondering what your thoughts were on perforated Jackets/Gloves/Boots for weather in the GTA. I'm wondering what type of gear I should buy for riding up here and need advice on the best all around choice for gear for getting the most out of the riding season. I'm afraid if the gear I buy is perforated too much, then it will be too cold in the early and late months in the season. And if I buy gear that is not perforated for air flow, I will get too hot in the summer. What do you guys prefer? ;)
Go with perforated leather jacket and pants. It'll be cool in the summer. For the colder put in the thermal liner most gear comes with (or just use a hoodie or something underneath) and some rain gear or something as a wind breaker over top. I usually just use my Frogg Toggs rain gear over my perfed stuff since I already own the gear (no need to buy more stuff).

You should really think about it, it's surprisingly easy to get your feet mangled beyond repair in a crash.
+1 Even with my way over priced Sidi boots I have a semi-screwed ankle now from just a slow speed crash.

If you can, I would suggest getting your M1, then taking the course to get your M2. Even if you cant buy a bike, because next year when you do buy a bike, you will have had your licence for a year, which means lower insurance. I know you might not even be able to do that, but thats what I did, and bought my bike this year and it saved me a good chunk of money (I am 26 though, not sure what the difference would be for you)

+1. If you're thinking you'll get a bike next year, get your M1 and do a course to get your M2 now. Most insurance companies don't care about having a bike insured for a year, just having your license for a year (doesn't make sense to me, but whatever). You will get a significant drop in your insurance doing this.

+1. If you're thinking you'll get a bike next year, get your M1 and do a course to get your M2 now. Most insurance companies don't care about having a bike insured for a year, just having your license for a year (doesn't make sense to me, but whatever). You will get a significant drop in your insurance doing this.

I'm getting my M1 sometime in the next week or two, and completing a safety course during the summer (probably learning curves) which will get me my M2 if I am correct.

Back
Top Bottom