500 lbs and 175 km range
not ready for prime time

someone needs to invent a lighter battery

yeah, not bad looking
500 lbs and 175 km range
not ready for prime time

someone needs to invent a lighter battery
This seems like a catch22:
Can't help development unless money is put into it, people don't want to put money into it until it's better developed.
I would love to help it along, but I gotta pay rent and eat... and insurance.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

how does insurance work on these bikes, since there's no CC's, or much record of them to get data. 110hp, even with that weight, isn't too shabby.

gonna guess performance is similar to a naked litre bike
except it's 50 lbs heavier, HP is comparable, and it's twice the price

the peak torque figure at 140 lb/ft is way more
but you'd have to see the torque curve on a dyno to understand how that really works

twice the money and 175 km range
vs a bike that's gonna get ~ 40 MPG and go ~ 300 km per tank
don't see a market for these things yet

Last edited:
Just wish I could swap out my DS for this baby. I'd get the amped up charging capacity and power tank for ~300km range and 60 minute charging. The other thing I like is the improved app that includes tracking the bike, especially useful for locating charging stations as well as unexpected bike movement.

But like Mango Rider, I gotsta eat.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

how does insurance work on these bikes, since there's no CC's, or much record of them to get data. 110hp, even with that weight, isn't too shabby.
I went from a 98 Ninja 500 to a 2018 DS 13.0, and my insurance rates stayed virtually the same. Not sure what factor they use to end up on their rate. I did discover this year not everyone will insure them too. Poor confused insurance rep on my last call first couldn't believe Zero was the manufacturer name, then that it was actually a motorbike and not an e-bike.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

They will get better slowly, but I don't think petrol bikes are done not even close IMO they are still capable of delivering clean bikes with even more power with forced induction etc I think we'll see more of that and they will no doubt be superior over the electrics for quite some time.

gonna guess performance is similar to a naked litre bike
except it's 50 lbs heavier, HP is comparable, and it's twice the price

the peak torque figure at 140 lb/ft is way more
but you'd have to see the torque curve on a dyno to understand how that really works

twice the money and 175 km range
vs a bike that's gonna get ~ 40 MPG and go 400 km per tank
don't see a market for these things yet

naked litre bikes get 400kms a tank?! sounds a bit high.

Electric bikes are all just commuting machines right now. Long charge times and limited range, they really do not serve much purpose beyond ripping around town and home again. And there is nothing wrong with that, I like the idea and would be interested in a 2nd bike for that very purpose, but they are all priced much to high for what you are getting. Harley is $30,000, this is $20,000... not sure if that is American or Canadian, if it is Canadian then you are basically at $30,000 with taxes. That is WAY TO MUCH for a bike that is basically limited to the commuting Even day trips are pretty much out of range.

how far do they go on a tank of petrol?

fz10 - 160miles/257km
s1000r - 180miles/290km
gsxs1000 - 180miles/290km
tuono1100 - 160 miles/257km
1290super duke -170miles/273km

+ or -

naked litre bikes get 400kms a tank?! sounds a bit high.
it is for sure, 300 is really good for most nakeds.

40mpg to do 400km = 23.52L tank.

i don't know any nakeds with that big of a tank.

Range does not matter all that much when comparing. You can fill up your tank in 5 mins at a pump and go again. Compared to 90 mins needed to recharge.

Looks exactly like everything else in their lineup -- boring! These Zero bikes all look too similar. I just checked their site, says pricing starts at 27,590 CDN. For that kinda dough you can get a '19 Panigale V4.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Looks exactly like everything else in their lineup -- boring! These Zero bikes all look too similar. I just checked their site, says pricing starts at 27,590 CDN. For that kinda dough you can get a '19 Panigale V4.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

You can get a lot of premium bikes NEW, fully loaded with every bell and whistle and again the ability to fuel up in 5 minutes and be on the road again. They need to get these prices down, few are going to buy this and the ones with the money to spend on a bike like this... well I just do not see any reason to do it. There is nothing in it that really says "WOW".

Same sh;# here...20 yrs ago a 50" tv was 4 grand....time will bring the price down.

Josh from Classy Chassis and Cycle is down at the launch and posting videos to their Facebook page and will be having a demo for the full lineup some time this spring.

You have to remember that this is the thin edge of the wedge. Yes they are pricey, yes the range is limited-ish, yes the recharging stations are few and far between.... for now. It's like every new technology. It takes early adopters to buy the first generations to build the capitol for the company to pour into R&D and in a few years the new models make the old ones obsolete. But honestly, with the kind of performance this bike has the improvements will be in reducing cost and speeding up recharging time. With the added battery tank the bike is capable of going up to 300km. There are lots of riders out there sporty and cruiser types who don't do 300km in a day ever. Once the price drops and people's anxiety about range and recharging are calmed by charging station proliferation you'll see these things popping up everywhere. Even if the recharge time stays at 90min, attach a decent restaurant to the charging station and presto, you've just made an electric motorcycle ride destination. Take a 250km ride to the restaurant, recharge the bike while enjoying a great meal, spend some time shooting the breeze with other electric riders and then head home. 500km ride and a meal. Sounds like most of my day rides!

Also, I may be wrong, but I believe most of, if not all of the torque is available pretty much off idle. It is with most electric motors so if that's true this would be a pretty exciting bike to ride.

Back
Top Bottom