New York or Penn tips for first timer? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New York or Penn tips for first timer?

socially distorted

Can anyone give me a heads up on what to be prepared for? Planning a 2 or 3 day trip to NYC and will be travelling from Kingston so will cross at Wolfe Island via the ferry. Whats the procedure for getting thru the tolls? Do I just make sure i have a shiteload of coins easily accessible? With the canuck buck at about par, do I need to pay the tolls in US funds? I've also seen mentioned that NY state troopers have a hard-on for ON plates -- why? and what will likely get me pulled over besides apart from speeding? I ride an SV1000 with aftermarket Devil dual exhausts - has a lovely throaty rumble to it but not overly loud unless really honk on her but now I'm worried I'll get pulled over for noise violation or something just to say they got me. From other posts, it seems the thing to do is veer over towards Pennsylvania and ride through there until Scranton, then head for NYC? I've only been to New York in a car about 10 years ago but one thing that still sticks in my mind was the number of dead deer on the roadside. Is that an extra hazard to watch for at all times or is it mainly dawn and dusk as in eastern ontario. I'll be riding solo and my original thought was New York City: in particular Coney Island and Rockaway Beach [just so this old Ramones fan can say I've been there!] but its not a trip carved in stone so if I find myself loving the route more than the destination that would be great.
thanks in advance anyone

My buddy, his gf and I are doing a 2-3 day trip to Vermont July 23,24,25 if you want to ride down there with us, you can. Were crossing around ganonoque(sp?). It will be our first time going there as well and if you wanna split when we get down there- feel free!

Whats the procedure for getting thru the tolls? Do I just make sure i have a shiteload of coins easily accessible?

Ideally you want your money accessible. But I usually just find a safe place to pull over on the right before the booth but after traffic has slowed down to a decent speed, stuff some coins into my glove, head over to the booth and drop it off. I've also kept coins in my pocket, it takes a couple of seconds longer to get them though (holding up cars behind me) although this is probably the safer way to do it.

thanks for the info and offer so far: Tiburon: not sure yet..still in the "hope to" stage. LittleSaki: wont be going that soon..Murphy's Law popped up and bike has leaking water pump! dammit

Back
Top Bottom