New Yamaha R-7 | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Yamaha R-7

Can the factory tune them slightly different to make more top end out if the same engine without infringing on gov standards and whatnot?

It may be possible in some instances if one of them is artificially restricted, but it's really challenging to achieve this otherwise. Cam timing, compression ratio, etc, everything that affects power output, also affects emissions. The MT07 is not artificially restricted. It makes what it makes, when you ask for 100% throttle that's what you get, there's no "restrictor plate" or artificial throttle stop.

In the aftermarket, there are things that can be done ...

I have an XSR700 with the same CP2 engine.
It really is a fantastic engine in a fun bike that you can actually push close to it’s realistic limits.
Sportbikes aren’t for me any more, but if they set it up properly, an R7 with the CP2 engine will make any decent rider feel like a hero.

When is the last time a Japanese manufacturer put fully adjustable cartridge forks on a bike making less than 90hp? Shock does not have compression adjustment though. Oh well, it's an improvement!

Looks in the CBR650R's direction

Assuming the motor is broadly the same as the MT (apparently almost guaranteed with only a few tweaks to the ECU and intakes), the new R7 will be short nearly 27% on rear wheel horsepower to the RS660 (67 vs 85), and will be missing a whole bunch of gizmos and gadgets. Weight is similar enough to be functionally identical. Based on US pricing of $10,800 for the R7 and $11,300 for the RS660, you get a lot for your $500. Particularly considering a quickshifter is extra on the Yamaha. The price gap is much bigger in the UK, so we'll see where Canada ends up.

That 07 motor is famous for punching above its weight, so I'm looking forward to the comparison tests. On paper, the R7 will have a better front end, but just because something says it's adjustable doesn't necessarily mean it's good.

It seems an odd approach for Yamaha, as the ergos definitely look like they deserve the R moniker, but the motor is very street-oriented...

That's $10,799 CDN I believe. USD MSRP is $8,999 (source) so it is substantially cheaper, as it should be

@Priller it’s actually $10,800 in Canada. $9000 in the U.S. I think the Aprilia is a little over $13,000 here.

The Yamaha is great bang for the buck. Could use a bit more motor though.

Assuming the motor is broadly the same as the MT (apparently almost guaranteed with only a few tweaks to the ECU and intakes), the new R7 will be short nearly 27% on rear wheel horsepower to the RS660 (67 vs 85), and will be missing a whole bunch of gizmos and gadgets. Weight is similar enough to be functionally identical. Based on US pricing of $10,800 for the R7 and $11,300 for the RS660, you get a lot for your $500. Particularly considering a quickshifter is extra on the Yamaha. The price gap is much bigger in the UK, so we'll see where Canada ends up.

That 07 motor is famous for punching above its weight, so I'm looking forward to the comparison tests. On paper, the R7 will have a better front end, but just because something says it's adjustable doesn't necessarily mean it's good.

It seems an odd approach for Yamaha, as the ergos definitely look like they deserve the R moniker, but the motor is very street-oriented...
As per the article

"more for buyers who wanted looks over performance"

Makes perfect sense, don't need 120hp to congregate at Tim's.

I'm excited about this bike. No, it's not an R6 and it isn't meant to be one. But for the person who wants the look and feel of an R6 but doesn't have the experience to handle a machine like that or the insurance cost this will be great for them, especially if the R3 isn't enough bike for them.

Plus, vastly more usable bike on the street. I think Yamaha has a winner here, time will tell.

I'm excited about this bike. No, it's not an R6 and it isn't meant to be one. But for the person who wants the look and feel of an R6 but doesn't have the experience to handle a machine like that or the insurance cost this will be great for them, especially if the R3 isn't enough bike for them.

Plus, vastly more usable bike on the street. I think Yamaha has a winner here, time will tell.
Good point, anyone complaining about insurance should be raving over this thing. all the looks, a bit of the juice and likely some insurance savings.

As per the article

"more for buyers who wanted looks over performance"

Makes perfect sense, don't need 120hp to congregate at Tim's.

Sure, but the RS offers comfier ergos (based on photos, at least), equivalently sporty looks, similar poseworthiness, a healthy bump in power (it's not like 85 at the wheel is overkill, in fact I'd say it's pretty close to a sweet spot), a lot more in the way of gadgets (including a full IMU, giving all the TC, lean ABS, quickshiftiness you get on the big bikes), all for what might be what, a $6-800 premium in Canuck money? The math changes in the UK, where the RS is likely to cost £2,000 more (£8k vs £10k), but that's meaningless to us here.

I'm not comparing the R7 to the R6, that's pointless as illustrated in the umpteen posts above. But they apparently waited until the RS660 was released to see where they needed to be, and from what I can see, the price difference just isn't big enough. Obviously this is all on paper, time will tell how they actually compare on the road and track.

Lastly, if this is going to be the racing class to replace 600's, Yammy tuners are going to have their work cut out to stay competitive...

Edit: Just actually read the thread. My bad on the price. Makes more sense now...

Sure, but the RS offers comfier ergos (based on photos, at least), equivalently sporty looks, similar poseworthiness, a healthy bump in power (it's not like 85 at the wheel is overkill, in fact I'd say it's pretty close to a sweet spot), a lot more in the way of gadgets (including a full IMU, giving all the TC, lean ABS, quickshiftiness you get on the big bikes), all for what might be what, a $6-800 premium in Canuck money? The math changes in the UK, where the RS is likely to cost £2,000 more (£8k vs £10k), but that's meaningless to us here.

I'm not comparing the R7 to the R6, that's pointless as illustrated in the umpteen posts above. But they apparently waited until the RS660 was released to see where they needed to be, and from what I can see, the price difference just isn't big enough. Obviously this is all on paper, time will tell how they actually compare on the road and track.

Lastly, if this is going to be the racing class to replace 600's, Yammy tuners are going to have their work cut out to stay competitive...

Edit: Just actually read the thread. My bad on the price. Makes more sense now...
RS660 at two wheel is 14,758, R7 is 10,800 MSRP. That is a $4000 premium not $6-800.

EDIT:
Posted before I saw your edit.

On a slightly related note, who is smoking crack at Aprilias marketing department? Two wheel also has a 50 cc scooter for sale with the following description:
"The SR Motard brings the spirit of the great Aprilia Supermotard in the SR family of sports scooters, adding enjoyment and sports sensations to daily commuting. It has an aggressive, essential and compact style which emerges in the decidedly sports design of the handlebars, in the streamlined and aggressive rear but above all in the pronounced "beak" on the front wheel (a reference to the off-road world). Starting, acceleration, pick up, agility in traffic and braking are the weapons of this scooter, designed for young people who like responsive and enjoyable riding."

Good point, anyone complaining about insurance should be raving over this thing. all the looks, a bit of the juice and likely some insurance savings.
You sure about the insurance savings part? While I was looking around, when I checked for CBR500R insurance - I think it was TD (or maybe some other insurance) that mentioned they wouldn't insure that bike. I told them it's not the SS CBR but a sport-tourer. Didn't matter to them.

RS660 at two wheel is 14,758, R7 is 10,800 MSRP. That is a $4000 premium not $6-800.

EDIT:
Posted before I saw your edit.
It's funny, the MSRP I saw for the RS660 back when it was released was $13,500 CAD. Not sure if Two Wheel is jacking the markup or if Aprilia 'adjusted' pricing...

From the Aprilia website:

1621358334239.png

Last edited:
It's funny, the MSRP I saw for the RS660 back when it was released was $13,500 CAD. Not sure if Two Wheel is jacking the markup or if Aprilia 'adjusted' pricing...
The ad had price + tax so maybe they were honest and included PDI/delivery/dealer fees in the price? I didn't dig deeply into it.

You sure about the insurance savings part? While I was looking around, when I checked for CBR500R insurance - I think it was TD (or maybe some other insurance) that mentioned they wouldn't insure that bike. I told them it's not the SS CBR but a sport-tourer. Didn't matter to them.
Did you provide the VIN? Very few I speak to seem to know what bike model I’m referring to when I press them on it. Whose knows what data they are inputting.

Absolutely not sure, what these guys do makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom