New Yamaha R-7 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Yamaha R-7

Yamaha knows about the FZ07/MT07 roadrace conversion kits. (I know a couple people with those; they work well!)

The power output is the potential hiccup. Dunno if you've noticed, but quite a few manufacturers have been applying the same engine in what looks like widely differing bikes lately. There's more to that than just saving money on tooling ... they're also piggybacking the emissions compliance across the whole line. All the bikes that use that engine with the same emission control equipment and are close in GVWR (not really relevant for bikes) are "the same" for purposes of OEM emissions certification. Means the engine in this R7 is practically guaranteed to be EXACTLY the same as the engine in the MT07 and the Tenere 700 ... and it hasn't got the jam of the RS660.

Or maaaaaybe they figure out a way to boost the power output some while maintaining emissions compliance, and apply that across the rest of the lineup that uses that engine ...
Hybrid! 20hp motor with a little super capacitor and wheeee! Just a bit of jam off the line.

Last edited:
I’m looking forward to this bike coming out. I bought the new CBR650R last year and love it. I’ve ridden my fair share of supersports and litre bikes and they are a blast but serve a single purpose. I’ve owned a Monster and have spent time on an MT09 and Z900 and the lack of wind protection for old. The CBR650R and RS660 fill a fantastic spot that, in my opinion, have been missing in manufacturers lineups. The Ninja 650 didn’t have the power or handling, and these are sticking close to 100hp with ergos that are relaxed enough from supersports to enjoy riding for hours but still aggressive enough to do a couple track days a year.

The power output is the potential hiccup. Dunno if you've noticed, but quite a few manufacturers have been applying the same engine in what looks like widely differing bikes lately. There's more to that than just saving money on tooling ... they're also piggybacking the emissions compliance across the whole line. All the bikes that use that engine with the same emission control equipment and are close in GVWR (not really relevant for bikes) are "the same" for purposes of OEM emissions certification. Means the engine in this R7 is practically guaranteed to be EXACTLY the same as the engine in the MT07 and the Tenere 700 ... and it hasn't got the jam of the RS660.

Or maaaaaybe they figure out a way to boost the power output some while maintaining emissions compliance, and apply that across the rest of the lineup that uses that engine ...
While I agree that you're likely right, I'm hoping for more from Yamaha if they want to call this an R bike. It's likely a vain hope from a Japanese manufacturer these days, but others are doing it. Aprilia has released different tunes for the RS and Tuono 660's (at least in Europe), and KTM has different tunes on the 890 line, depending on model...

Both articles credit Aprillia for igniting these middleweight non-super sport bikes but the CBR650R came out a couple years earlier. Sure the Ninja 650 has been around for ages but I’d be hard pressed to call it a sport bike. It’s time Honda gets some credit!!

Both articles credit Aprillia for igniting these middleweight non-super sport bikes but the CBR650R came out a couple years earlier. Sure the Ninja 650 has been around for ages but I’d be hard pressed to call it a sport bike. It’s time Honda gets some credit!!

Sorry, but the most entertaining video I watched from this guy was when he was crying about his youtube account getting hacked.

^
Basically what VW / Audi does ...

MT - 07 could be the Golf GTI
The R7 could be the Golf R

well if they can bump it up 20hp and give it AWD, I'm fine with it being called the R7 at that point :)

I gotta say, I'm pretty sold on the look. Strongly considering it as upgrade especially if the insurance rates are nice
Probably not lol

Back
Top Bottom