New Touring/2-Up Bike | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Touring/2-Up Bike

I think for me, the FJR1300 is the current front runner. I’ve got to do a little bit of research on the Multi though…..

Get the FJR. If you have a bike issue in Podunkville, Ohio you've the same chance of finding an honest politician as a Ducati dealer, in other words you'd be SOL.

Get the FJR. If you have a bike issue in Podunkville, Ohio you've the same chance of finding an honest politician as a Ducati dealer, in other words you'd be SOL.
That's a really good point, (and a sadly accurate though funny way of making it). You're more likely to be near a Yamaha dealer than a Ducati dealer in most places if something needs attention.

Then again, if you're looking for a comfy, capable touring rig with great dealer support, something with a large V-twin and an alphabet soup model designation from the "evil empire" may hit the mark.

I've seen plenty of HD touring bikes with high mileage, ridden in all kinds of weather and at a pace that would shame other riders of more "capable" bikes. To be fair, I've seen many more that are the opposite; fair weather bar-hoppers/ main street cruisers though.

Meh making decisions based on hypothetical scenarios or thought experiments which may or may not ever even occur is always funny to me.

You wanta the italian stallion? go geta an italian stallion

That's a really good point, (and a sadly accurate though funny way of making it). You're more likely to be near a Yamaha dealer than a Ducati dealer in most places if something needs attention.

The reality is that it doesn't matter what you ride (maybe Harley excepted?), chances are they won't have the parts in stock and will be a pain to get things fixed.

If things really become dire, a pickup/uhaul rental is almost always available to get you somewhere reasonable for a non life-disrupting amount of money.

The reality is that it doesn't matter what you ride (maybe Harley excepted?), chances are they won't have the parts in stock and will be a pain to get things fixed.

If things really become dire, a pickup/uhaul rental is almost always available to get you somewhere reasonable for a non life-disrupting amount of money.
On my last major multi-state trip the local (and huge!) HD dealer didn't have a fuel pump in stock for the late model Street Glide that was in my group. 2 days later when the right hand switchgear failed on the Ultra Glide also in our group the local (and again huge) HD dealer didn't have a replacement in stock.
My point: Just buy the bike your heart tells you to buy. The heck with what may seem smarter on paper.

Sounds like you liked the Versys, so why not stick with it for your upgrade. New ones have everything you're looking for. I've got a 2017, and find it great for 2-up touring and solo riding. My wife finds it almost as comfortable as my old V-Strom 650 (she really loved that bike). But I would suggest a rear spring upgrade to the Versys if you're doing a fair amount of touring 2-up or with a reasonable amount of luggage, especially since you're both big people. Proper suspension for the weight makes a huge difference.

The RT is a very comfortable 2-up tourer, and handles surprisingly well in the twisties. Something you wouldn't suspect from such a bike bike. We rented one for 8 days in Spain in 2012, and have booked one for 34 days in Italy this year. But it's beyond my price range to purchase, and I wouldn't want to have to deal with BMW for parts/service. I'm northeast of the City, and with Endras Motorrad closed its even more difficult.

Like I said, I put 40K on a Wing that was 25 years old when I bought. Never thought twice about loading the Squeeze and heading south for a week or more.
I'd be more worried on a new bike full of nanny state electronics and black boxes. We all know what happens when the flux capacitor goes on the fritz.

Back
Top Bottom