New to the area -- favourite local routes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to the area -- favourite local routes?

ska

Hi all,

As I mentioned in the "Introductions" section, I'm new to Toronto area and getting back into riding after years away --- so I don't know many local routes. Picking up a new bike and can't wait to break it (and me!) in.

I'll probably take a week shakedown ride in June or July, but until then I'd love suggestions of favourite local loops starting in/around Toronto and returning sometime the same day.

Figured I'd ask the locals; so, any favourites to suggest?

I have been looking a bit at links found here on the forums also but thought a thread may turn up some good rides.

Join in on some group rides with different leaders to find different routes. Also just pull up googlemaps and find something that looks like fun and go explore.

A lot of people don't like to post up roads/routes, myself included.

Sure, that's your prerogative. I expect others do though so we'll see.

I'll find them on my own as well, but suggestions are welcome.

+1 on the Big Map. It's a good tool to plan day trips out of Toronto.

Most of the better roads are located in the Muskoka's and Haliburton and still close enough to easily get home before dark. A longer day trip is to head out to the Calabogie area and explore the roads between here and there.

I think you may have taken this comment the wrong way.

People on here tend to keep group ride routes private in fear that the police might be waiting for them along the route. I'm not sure if that is a fair concern but I do recall a group of mini coopers getting pulled over last year which made the News. The mini owners thought by telling everyone publically of their rally route they would not get tickets for 15-20+ the limit but that proved to be wrong. They ended up being part of a OPP Blitz. I don't think the OPP were even aware of the rally nor were they "waiting" for them specifically.

I suspect the OPP have more important things to do than surf motorcycle forums looking to set up a sting operations. With that said if cottagers along the 507 for example complain that every weekend bikes race down the highway then the OPP might decide to set up a radar to deal with the complaint. Cottagers pay taxes and have the right to try and slow down speeders. Consequently its a place I would avoid speeding on this long weekend.

I guess my point is simply this: On Saturday if a group ride hits the 507 and some get tickets will they blame the group ride organiser for posting the route on a public forum?

Welcome Ska

Ride smart and safe everyone.

Got to get out of the city for some nice roads, personally I just go where the wind takes me and make it an adventure!
Yes, the police do monitor boards and have "catch" word filters that can lock in a ride! In the past people have posted "fast pace" or " experienced high speed riders" or my favorite " Hooligan ride" gotta be discreet people ;)
Cheers 8)
Aminal

Back
Top Bottom