New to supermoto, which bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to supermoto, which bike

Cheeseburgers for payment and sliding a supermoto around for a day sounds like a win win. I would love to have an sxv as a second bike.

Aug 13 might be too short of a notice, but I'd consider something end of August or beg. og Sep. Do you usually post here and is there anyone with a trailer spot usually as I don't have one .... Might even consider renting a full sumo bike from Recip, if that was an option.

aug 13th , thisis the most notice you will ever get from me, usually we decide the thursday that we are going the saturday, end of august im in florida, so i wont be riding again until at least the second week of september after the 13th.

As for trailer spot, i usually go with clamca, i know 100% when he says he is going to go that he will actually show, we can make room for somebody else, but if that person doesnt show we tend to get right ****** off, which usually results in that person getting ****** that we dont invite them anymore when we go. Thats a big part of the reason i usually dont post about rides anymore, i got sick of making plans to meet people, and then them flaking out 20 minutes before we were supposed to leave, or just not showing up at all.

We can fit 2 bikes in my truck, where as if its 3 we take his van and trailer, im not going to offer a spot to you, but im sure he will chime in here sooner or later.

Fine, bring lots, sliding makes me hungry.

I'll have you doing this by the end of the day.

slide1.jpg

As much as I'd like to have the equivalent of a GSXR1000 in a supermoto, fact is, if the riding style is as different as you say it is, it likely isn't a good idea for my first time/bike.

So can I this much fun on a DRZ? i.e. will I be sliding too?

correct.

You can learn the skills on a 100, bike size isn't really a factor in learning the skills.

I can teach you the rest, but it will cost you cheeseburgers.
Didn't Nicky,Tommy and Roger Hayden all learn how to be fast on 100 Honda's that their dad bought them?

As much as I'd like to have the equivalent of a GSXR1000 in a supermoto, fact is, if the riding style is as different as you say it is, it likely isn't a good idea for my first time/bike.

you can slide ANY bike.

like I said, sliding is a RESULT of going fast, not a function of it.

you don't NEED to do it, as you progress, it just happens

aug 13th , thisis the most notice you will ever get from me, usually we decide the thursday that we are going the saturday, end of august im in florida, so i wont be riding again until at least the second week of september after the 13th.

As for trailer spot, i usually go with clamca, i know 100% when he says he is going to go that he will actually show, we can make room for somebody else, but if that person doesnt show we tend to get right ****** off, which usually results in that person getting ****** that we dont invite them anymore when we go. Thats a big part of the reason i usually dont post about rides anymore, i got sick of making plans to meet people, and then them flaking out 20 minutes before we were supposed to leave, or just not showing up at all.

We can fit 2 bikes in my truck, where as if its 3 we take his van and trailer, im not going to offer a spot to you, but im sure he will chime in here sooner or later.

Fair enough. I hate people who make arrangements and don't keep them myself, so I get your point. If I say I go, then I go, rain or shine. I could even drop a bike off the night before so it can be a painless take off in the morning .... (and you know for sure that I am coming ...)

Anyways, as I said anything closer to the end of Aug or Sep, I'd be seriously interested. I'll be looking for your post, will be up to you to take me or not ...

DRZ is a bit underpowered when compared to racing sumo bikes. But I am sure you can still have tons of fun with it, especially if you are new to it. Just my opinion.

I wanna learn how to back it in...and more ;)

I've narrowed down my choices tO the wr250x and the sxv450

The two bikes I'm looking at are the same price, the wr has a full pipe, the ape is stock - the engine was replaced and it also has the 'black' case sealant.

I need it to do some street duty, a little offeoading, maybe a little stunting, and will be doing up some track days next year to improve my skill. I'm afraid the wr might be gutless but the sxv too much of an animal (not interested in Suzuki)

My background: a half year on the street with a 250, a full year on a 600 at the track as a fast intermediate rider. I'm small, 5'6, 130lbs

[h=2][/h] Bottom line: can i learn all the cool stuff on a wr250x? I dont see any drifting vids on youtube with it. Will i improve my clutch control, bike control, learn about traction on the 250, or is it a waste of a step for me?

The Yamaha is underpowered and overweight and there isn't much you can do to remedy that. If reliability is your thing, get a DRZ. There is a guy racing with us right now that has one. He has made it semi-competative with the 450s but he's put a good $1000-2000 into it. He says that if he would do it again, he'd get a real race 450 SM and call it a day.

Between the Aprilia and Husky, it's Husky hands down if you ask me. If you get the Husky, get the 510..I think that's the only road legal that they sell in Canada right now anyways.

You can also get a dual sport bike - something like the TE449/511 and put some SM wheels and a bigger brake on it and you got a SM.
http://www.rossrochersales.ca/rossr...at1=376&tp=3&lk=no&title=Motorcycles+For+Sale

Last edited:
BTW batavia is not an option, the two remaining options are bracebridge or avon, from hamilton each is about 250 kms, one has a border the other has the 400 which is usually worse then the border. Avon is 35 bucks for the day, bracebridge is 20 bucks per riding hour ? i think thats the last i heard. Neither has dirt, both offer great traction, avon will require a db dawg of some sort as noise is an issue, neither has food, water or bathrooms. Both are alot of fun. I think a few of us will be going to avon saturday august 13th, not sure when georgys next bracebridge trip is, but its open all the time, avon is not.

Bracebridge is $20/riding hour. Good luck trying to get in more than 1-2 hours of actual riding in a day.

There is a thread on this already. I post every time we go.

is there an online community for supermoto in ontario other than this and 408racing?

Bracebridge is $20/riding hour. Good luck trying to get in more than 1-2 hours of actual riding in a day.

There is a thread on this already. I post every time we go.

ive given 3 weeks notice on a ride at avon on august 13th and been told its not enough notice, you typically give 15 minutes notice that you are loaded up and going to the track, do you really expect a different response ? you gonna come down on the 13th georgy ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom