New to riding:What to look for in my first bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to riding:What to look for in my first bike?

Hi,
I'm new to riding, and just in the process of getting my M2. I was wondering what would be a good bike to start. Within this forum I've come across debates about fuel injection vs carbs, Abs or no abs etc. Should these be my main priorities while looking for a bike?

Also I have no experience in buying a bike. What would be the common problems to look out for when buying a used bike? If anyone could guide me on that, I would really appreciate that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Small displacement, mechanically sound used bike as a starter. Don't worry about cosmetics too much. Lots of used bike buying guides online and mentioned on this forum.

<500cc <50hp <400lb is a general rule of thumb. Any of the 250-300cc street bikes are ideal, as they are not as heavy, and all will competently do the highway all day at legal speeds. 125cc bikes are great for around town but may not be great on the highway. You are looking for a Cessna and not a Lear Jet.

In general an older bike will not require comprehensive insurance, so getting collision should be enough. There is no point on paying the comprehensive insurance premium for an older bike that has a few bumps and bruises. Used bikes are also cheaper to purchase. After a year on your learner bike, get whatever you want.

Ontario specific requirements: Before you buy call for quotes on bike insurance. They can vary considerably depending on if you are an old fart (me) or <25yo, where you live, your driving record, type of insurance coverage.

Things I looked for on my bike,
Nice chain(well maintained)make sure the links aren't dry and lube on it isn't old . Check for appropriate chain slack.
Check sprocket for worn teeth.
Look for scratches/cracks on/under fairings, under cowl.
Underneath bike for signs of cracks from pothole damage, scrapes.
Check forks for leaks-->low Kms/ newer bike with leaks may indicate possible stunting
Check oil window to see color of the oil. Make sure it doesn't look dirty and old.
Look for vin number to match.
Look for one with frame sliders (some bikes need modification to fit sliders)
And stands (that way you know it was stored properly winter time/no flat spots on tires)
Check tires for wear pattern to signify owners riding patterns, see if outside line is worn (rider goes mad twisty and guns it more) or inside line (rider is more conservative) .
Make sure all lights work, make sure there are no scrapes on exhaust to signify a slide and fairing change.
Check handle bar-> wheel alignment(visual)
Check handle bar ends for scrapes,drops , lever ends for scuffs and to make sure they are straight.
Me personally I picked FI. No carb diet here.
Start up the bike, listen for any strange knocking noises. Or violent ticking noises, except for the cct(cam chain tensioner) .
If the owner starts it up, see if they throttle before it warms up (that way you know they do that usually) responsible motorcyclists warm up their motorcycles before riding. Gasing with no load is not good for the internals(check out different bike).
After checking tire pressure and horn, giddy up.
Check brakes on riding , feel for rotor pulse if any.
Check clutch while shifting, make sure bike goes into
All gears smoothly.
Make sure bike gets hot enough for fan to come on.
I carry nylon gloves and a flashlight when I go to check out a bike.
Check for leaks by seal area(some people clean area before viewings, so look in corners/wipe behind hard to reach places for sludge marks/gunk buildup)
A clean and well maintained bike is the signifying point of the owners love.
Look for any cobwebs which may signify low use.
Curb rash on rims and if rims are straight.
Depending on what you find, you may be able to haggle for lower price in your favor.
Most importantly, Never buy based just on excitement!

Edited for additions and clarifications.

Last edited:
Great write up.

Mods, how about putting this in the Stickies? Not that anybody reads them.

Would need to know more as to what type of bike you are looking for, as the power to weight ratio of a 500cc sportsbike is much higher than say a 500cc cruiser.

In general though, fuel injection if you don't want to mess with carbs and want your bike to start/run like your car, and I'm a big supporter of ABS if you can get it, as it is your final safety net before wheel lockup if things go bad out there.

Also, as said above INSURANCE, INSURANCE, INSURANCE. Check any bike you are thinking about too, as rates can vary wildly between them (no 250cc, 500cc, etc bike is rated exactly the same as a similar model to it).

Back
Top Bottom