New to Dirt Bike Riding looking for some advice | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to Dirt Bike Riding looking for some advice

I really appreciate all the feedback. LOL. It's making me really think hard, too hard. I forgot to mention, the bike would be kept at my parents house near Creemore. So I don't know what kind of trails are close to there. I do know from the locals there are some smaller accessible unofficial trails just off the side roads, that no one will get upset about. (Or so they say) And my budget is fine. I plan on my buying new and adding some accessories, of course, if a used model comes along, I'd try and snap it up.
If you're going to be near Creemore, join SCORRA (simcoe county offroad riders). There tons of legal trails in the area, but you need to be an oftr member, be plated (on or offroad) and insured.
If you're mostly riding this area, the exc250f is the bike of choice. We have a lot of fast single track trails but they need to be joined at times by running on the road for short hops so road legal is good.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

there are some smaller accessible unofficial trails just off the side roads,

Warning! Unofficial usually means illegal/trespass.Get in touch with an offroad group and plan rides in legal areas.The reason most good places to ride are illegal is because people didn't take the time to get permission.

edit: Iceman beat me to it

Good to know. Yes, I will definitely be joining these organizations.

If you're going to be near Creemore, join SCORRA (simcoe county offroad riders). There tons of legal trails in the area, but you need to be an oftr member, be plated (on or offroad) and insured.
If you're mostly riding this area, the exc250f is the bike of choice. We have a lot of fast single track trails but they need to be joined at times by running on the road for short hops so road legal is good.

Yeah I wasn't sure about "unofficial". Anyway, I plan on making a trip to Lang's and Mission Cycle in Angus. Either way, I for sure will need to get the KTM or Beta lowered, especially the KTM at my height. Thanks again all;)

Warning! Unofficial usually means illegal/trespass.Get in touch with an offroad group and plan rides in legal areas.The reason most good places to ride are illegal is because people didn't take the time to get permission.

edit: Iceman beat me to it

Rob has learned how to deal with a short inseam!
Lang_zpsn2lmhs1e.jpg

Ha. Great Pic. I didn't realize he was shorter in height;) Man, this is such a hard decision. The great thing about betas for me is that they are already an inch lower. It may not seem like much but in the context of a new rider it's a worthy difference;

Rob has learned how to deal with a short inseam!
Lang_zpsn2lmhs1e.jpg

Yeah, I've heard or at least read both sides of this argument.
I wasted the full range of oil to test the theory. Bikes you are looking at probably have all way adjustable suspension.
It's a go fast dirt bike, if it feels to tall let a little air out of the tires and ride it harder ;)

Rob sets his bars back further then most, you'll probably have to tilt them forward more.

Good places to ride are precious.

Last edited:
Well, nothing beats first hand experience. Thanks for the heads up. And, yeah that makes sense to tilt the bars forward. All good stuff to know as a new rider I'm kinda going with the flow, and absorbing everything I can so appreciate you all dropping some knowledge for me;)

I wasted the full range of oil to test the theory. Bikes you are looking at probably have all way adjustable suspension.
It's a go fast dirt bike, if it feels to tall let a little air out of the tires and ride it harder ;)

Rob sets his bars back further then most, you'll probably have to tilt them forward more.

Yeah I wasn't sure about "unofficial". Anyway, I plan on making a trip to Lang's and Mission Cycle in Angus. Either way, I for sure will need to get the KTM or Beta lowered, especially the KTM at my height. Thanks again all;)
Creemore is a great area for riding. Lots of "unmaintained" road allowances etc, most of which are completely legal on a blue plated bike. Some members here, and in the Ontario Dual Sport club have an awesome route laid out from Orangeville to Creemore, all gravel or trail with some pretty challenging sections and hill climbs, all of it legal.
There is tons of backroad exploring to be done, just mind the trespassing signs and turn around.
As far as bike choice, just pick whichever one speaks to you and that you feel comfortable on. The Beta maybe a smaller manufacturer, but they sell every single bike they bring into Canada and the Us. There are a number of excellent dealers in Ontario with Langs being my first choice and FlybyU motorsports in Bracebridge my second.
If the bike will be left in Creemore and you live in Toronto, I'd consider buying from Todd at Mission Cycle. He's local, he stocks everything, and he will go out of his way to help you. They are willing to setup after hours appointments for sales and for service dropoff or pickup. Langs are amazing, however if you dont have a car and trailer you wont like riding your beta to Dorchester for service needs.
Just my 2 cents, ymmv.

D&J Motorcycles is also a Beta dealer.And Dave Butler is a great guy and very meticulous in preparing new bikes.

D&J Motorcycles is also a Beta dealer.And Dave Butler is a great guy and very meticulous in preparing new bikes.
highly skilled mechanic, terrific supporter of the sport :D and a great riding partner.

Well, nothing beats first hand experience. Thanks for the heads up. And, yeah that makes sense to tilt the bars forward. All good stuff to know as a new rider I'm kinda going with the flow, and absorbing everything I can so appreciate you all dropping some knowledge for me;)

Tilting the bars forward is like turning up the power steering, (short riders have a short reach ymmv) one thing you are trying to learn is control of the front to rear balance point as well as left to right, dirt bikes help you learn that real fast. If you find yourself going over the bars on really steep downhill drops you've got them slightly too far forward.
Do you know how you can control a motorcycles front to rear attitude when you are completely air borne?
... I'll give a hint, has to do with a spinning rear wheel ;)
:lol: will come in handy with those bikes, they love to be slightly airborne.

Thanks. Yes Dorchester is a long way from me. I can get a car and a trailer on the odd occasion If I need to take the bike for a service call. But, Yes, Mission cycle is literally 10 minutes away.

Creemore is a great area for riding. Lots of "unmaintained" road allowances etc, most of which are completely legal on a blue plated bike. Some members here, and in the Ontario Dual Sport club have an awesome route laid out from Orangeville to Creemore, all gravel or trail with some pretty challenging sections and hill climbs, all of it legal.
There is tons of backroad exploring to be done, just mind the trespassing signs and turn around.
As far as bike choice, just pick whichever one speaks to you and that you feel comfortable on. The Beta maybe a smaller manufacturer, but they sell every single bike they bring into Canada and the Us. There are a number of excellent dealers in Ontario with Langs being my first choice and FlybyU motorsports in Bracebridge my second.
If the bike will be left in Creemore and you live in Toronto, I'd consider buying from Todd at Mission Cycle. He's local, he stocks everything, and he will go out of his way to help you. They are willing to setup after hours appointments for sales and for service dropoff or pickup. Langs are amazing, however if you dont have a car and trailer you wont like riding your beta to Dorchester for service needs.
Just my 2 cents, ymmv.

Ha. I don't know. I would've said your knees and balance point over the bike. But when you mention spinning rear wheel I'd say throttle. I'm fully prepared for a few bruises, sprains and broken bones.

Tilting the bars forward is like turning up the power steering, (short riders have a short reach ymmv) one thing you are trying to learn is control of the front to rear balance point as well as left to right, dirt bikes help you learn that real fast. If you find yourself going over the bars on really steep downhill drops you've got them slightly too far forward.
Do you know how you can control a motorcycles front to rear attitude when you are completely air borne?
... I'll give a hint, has to do with a spinning rear wheel ;)
:lol: will come in handy with those bikes, they love to be slightly airborne.

If you find yourself with the front wheel to high a gentle touch on the rear brake or back-off on the throttle will inertia the front down, throttle up produces the opposite effect, the rear wheel is an effective speed controlled gyroscope.

Best leave the front wheel free spinning for the landings or get ready for a hairy ride.

Learn to jap-zap it and you'll be able to ride like a star:
[video=youtube_share;qfhsonpLhv8]https://youtu.be/qfhsonpLhv8[/video]

From what I've read here on this forum and from doing a brief 30 second check on kijiji. There's a 2018 KTM 350 EXC-F that's new/used condition at Chesterman's near Tillsonburg, that very bike has been for sale since summer of 2018 so maybe they'll have some wiggle room on it. It's listed at 10,999 but I bet you could get it out the door for that price maybe even less. Like I said I remember seeing a 2018 250 exc-f with that was basically new for $8500 last fall. Last August I bought a 2018 450 exc-f six days with 200 km's on it, for $10,500. New / Used is a good way to go. Hard to do the new / used thing with beta's and gas gas cause of supply and demand.

Back
Top Bottom