New tech update in MotoGP | GTAMotorcycle.com

New tech update in MotoGP

Sochi

Came across this article today. The new tech is very impressive in MotoGP - more sensors everywhere, new wings, etc..
Do you think we need even more tech? How bikes will look like in 10 years I wonder if this tech race continues...

The rules currently prohibit any kind of movable aerodynamic devices, but I'd be interested from a technical standpoint to see what they could do with movable flaps, especially when leaned over. I'm not convinced such technology would make for better racing though, and in any case they're trying to reduce the team's investments in aero, not increase it.

I'd be interested to see if movable flaps or ducts on the front fender could help keep the tire in its optimal operating temperature. The tires seem to have such a narrow range of temperatures where they work properly, to the point where riders are complaining that temp/pressure is getting too high if they're following another rider closely. That makes for worse racing.

I suspect that the rules prohibit it, but I'd also wonder what they could do if they were allowed to use automatic tire inflation systems (ATIS). Bleed off pressure if temps/pressures get too high during the race, and top it up from a remote gas reservoir if pressures get too low.

Came across this article today. The new tech is very impressive in MotoGP - more sensors everywhere, new wings, etc..
Do you think we need even more tech? How bikes will look like in 10 years I wonder if this tech race continues...

There won't be bike innovation in 10 years except electric ones, I think 2035 is the cut off for ice in most of the western world...

There won't be bike innovation in 10 years except electric ones, I think 2035 is the cut off for ice in most of the western world...

that's right! and yet I haven't seen a single electric motorcycle in person around..
can't wait for Brian P to get his Damon superbike and bring it to Belfountain:)

Were there any long term plans announcements from MotoGP going electric and timelines?

MotoE has been running in conjunction with MotoGP for a couple of years now. It's usually pretty good racing. They're all identical Energica machines, so the racing is as tight and as fierce as Moto3, but the bikes have enormous torque. They also weigh a ton, so it's like watching an old superbike race. The races are usually 8 or 9 laps because of battery range.

Watching a MotoE race without the commentary track is really kind of cool. The bikes are so quiet that you can actually hear the trackside announcers over the PA system, and the screeching of the tires in the braking zone. You can hear the little bits of rubber hitting the bikes in the onboard camera shots.

Do we need even more tech? I say yes!

IMO, that's the very definition of prototype racing - to push the envelope of technology above and beyond what you see on production vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom