New rider. So 1992 EX500 or 1995 Yamaha Seca II Street Fighter | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider. So 1992 EX500 or 1995 Yamaha Seca II Street Fighter

Armen444

So like the title says ive narrowed it down to the Ex500 or the Seca II, Due to my age and only 1 year (clean) motorcycle record im limited to the year of the bike <1995 to keep cost low. I just recently got a renewal form from my insurer for my 150cc scoot and for some odd reason they increased the policy by $900, any ideas about this guys? (bike is an OSC 2010 SS150) because im stumped, i will be speaking them tomorrow about this because it doesnt sound right, i was told that my rates would drop at lest %20 however they increased by %20 so right now im just like WTF! anyhow... hoping that they have made a mistake i will continue my venture for a new bike. Im looking for something thats good for both city use and long drives on the highway, and ive heard many good things about Kawasaki's reliability, however there isnt much i could find on the Seca II. I have found a CBR 600 aswell but im currently leaning more towards the Seca II due to its sportier look, and because i found one that requires little work and for a great price. Any other recommendations welcome, i will just have to find them locally and for an affordable price :) Also i would like to know if oem replacement parts can easily be found for these bikes because i dont want to be stuck with a very sexy paperweight... any input, experience, opinion and threats will be greatly appreciated :p

Armen.

The air cooled 600cc 4 cyl motor in that Seca has been around since early 80's , in bikes like Fazers, FZ600s, and Radians. They are tough motors.
You found a Seca II that looks sportier than any yr of CBR 600? Hard to believe.
If the insurance rates are the same, I would much sooner buy an old CBR 600.

The air cooled 600cc 4 cyl motor in that Seca has been around since early 80's , in bikes like Fazers, FZ600s, and Radians. They are tough motors.
You found a Seca II that looks sportier than any yr of CBR 600? Hard to believe.
If the insurance rates are the same, I would much sooner buy an old CBR 600.
Im not certain of the correct term for this unique look, but in essence its looks like the offspring of a sports look simialr to an EX500 or CBR600 with a regular maxim look, and i personally just fell in love with it! Im glad to hear that the engine in the Seca is reliable, can i find parts for it easily? tires, brake pads, (im sure those are mostly universal), carbs, mufflers/exhaust pipes and headers, etc etc. basically im asking is there anything i cant find for this monster of a bike?

The naked version with the round headlight wasn't available in Canada. Sold in Europe called the Diversion. If you like the naked look, maybe a Suzuki Bandit 600 would be to your tastes. There are more of those than the Seca II.

The naked version with the round headlight wasn't available in Canada. Sold in Europe called the Diversion. If you like the naked look, maybe a Suzuki Bandit 600 would be to your tastes. There are more of those than the Seca II.

Yes you are correct, i did some research and that did come up, i found it interesting that the one locally is actually the European model :p

This isn't a euro model..it's a home made nakedized one with YZF 600 forks, brakes, and front wheel
17zollwilbers.jpg

I say go with the EX500, for 2 reasons.

1 - it will be much easier to find parts for. It's been around for a billion years, whereas the Seca II (great bike, though) was only put out for a shorter amount of time.
2 - if ever you look to resell the bike, the EX500 will be easier to sell, because it's a much better known bike.

1 - it will be much easier to find parts for. It's been around for a billion years, whereas the Seca II (great bike, though) was only put out for a shorter amount of time.
2 - if ever you look to resell the bike, the EX500 will be easier to sell, because it's a much better known bike.

came to say the same.

parts are easy to find, cheap, accessible.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting parts for the Seca II. Consumables are easy to get and it shares parts with other models. EX500 is common and is a twin, Seca II is a smoother 4-cylinder and has more HP. Seca II looks way better.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting parts for the Seca II. Consumables are easy to get and it shares parts with other models. EX500 is common and is a twin, Seca II is a smoother 4-cylinder and has more HP. Seca II looks way better.
AGREED! on both accounts. Also i just checked with insurance, they did make a mistake on my renewal policy, it is now suppost to be $2400 but i canceled it ofcourse because im selling my scooter. For the EX500 they quoted me for $3100, and for the Seca $3500 (Jevco). lets put it this way, if i buy the seca, it will actually save me more than $400 than buying the EX500 (in terms of cost of bike), therefore i can put that extra money towards the insurance. Any other comments/suggestion guys? So far great help by all of you :)

Last edited:

Im hopping to keep the Seca for at least 2 years :p i just want something reliable and able to drive long distances and bring me back home, unlike my scooter im not going to modify the sh*t out of it, i will just adjust valves, clean and rejet the carbs if need be, replace the air filter with a K&N type or UNI type, and keep it oiled. pretty much just keep it working at its peak performance while maintaining its reliability. Any other suggestions?

Back in 1997 I rode my '92 Seca II to Memphis TN and back without any problems.

This bike is sounding better and better! Im feeling more confidant to push through for this bike :p I just wish the cost of insurance would have been more forgiving :(

I'm biased. Never owned an EX but have owned a SecaII. I'd buy a Seca again.
The naked one looks alright...would still want a windshield for higher speeds and cold weather though.

bike_sig15.jpg

Last edited:
Another + for Seca II over 92 EX....17" wheels and radial tires.

EX didn't get 17" wheels and rear disc brakes till 94.

Back
Top Bottom