new rider, first scare | GTAMotorcycle.com

new rider, first scare

key3thermal

Site Supporter
Well, i started riding on Saturday august 13th.

Last night i was riding and a car cut me off with about 2 inches between my front wheel and his rear bumper! Scared the S**T out of me. I just slowed down to avoid hitting him, caught up to him at the next red light. Tried to confront the guy and he ignored me. So i just did the next best thing that came to my mind:
beeped my horn, he turned his head towards me and i gave him the :thebirdman:.

Last edited:
Road rage won't help things. I know cus I suffer from it too lol. Glad you're okay.

Road rage won't help things. I know cus I suffer from it too lol. Glad you're okay.

I stayed calm until i caught up to him to tell him what he just did, but when he looked at me and then just looked away and wouldn't look my way, i just had to..... LOL

Welcome to your first 'oh-%&*^!' moment. It's good that you've gotten it out of the way, as there will be plenty more in your riding career.

You need to also determine if you were riding in a fashion that would prevoke that kind of action. IE were you in the left lane and slow?

I know plenty of riders that play the innocent card when they were really being jackasses in the moment....

Confronting drivers will not help you, and in some cases will just causes more problems for you then getting cut off. Its part of riding, be aware stay defensive and know your surrounding.

This may be your first, but it wont be your last. Rubber side down.

Do what Rob the moderator suggested in another thread, take their number and call it in.

Confronting drivers will not help you, and in some cases will just causes more problems for you then getting cut off. Its part of riding, be aware stay defensive and know your surrounding.

This may be your first, but it wont be your last. Rubber side down.

thats not true...if every driver that cut off a bike got confronted maybe we'd get the message across

You need to also determine if you were riding in a fashion that would prevoke that kind of action. IE were you in the left lane and slow?

I know plenty of riders that play the innocent card when they were really being jackasses in the moment....

I was going about 5 over 60 (speed limit on that road). The guy just switched lanes without signalling, and he pulled up at least going 70 in the right lane, when i was in the left lane. So he should have at least seen me as he pulled up, i got a pretty good reflective jacket and bag that i was wearing if he by any chance missed my tail light.

This happend near jane and finch area (go figure), just as soon as a rider on a cbr125 was spotted by me going in the opposite direction.

thats not true...if every driver that cut off a bike got confronted maybe we'd get the message across

Negative. People are inherently selfish (and stupid, at least when they're on the road). People tend to get very defensive, even when confronted in situations like this. Rather than show humility and admit wrongdoing, people will tend to lash out and accuse the accuser of being "aggressive" and "crazy". Trust me, it will NOT help the image of riders in this city.

I was going about 5 over 60 (speed limit on that road). The guy just switched lanes without signalling, and he pulled up at least going 70 in the right lane, when i was in the left lane. So he should have at least seen me as he pulled up, i got a pretty good reflective jacket and bag that i was wearing if he by any chance missed my tail light.

This happend near jane and finch area (go figure), just as soon as a rider on a cbr125 was spotted by me going in the opposite direction.

With only 4 days of riding experience, you need to evaluate your riding style and how you handled this situation.

Cars will cut you off, no matter how much experience you have and/or what you do. It's a fact of riding in the GTA. I've ridden through Jane & Finch on my 250, and it's not anything too out of the ordinary.

Make sure you practice your emergency braking. Go to a parking and get that **** down pat. You need to be able to brake hard enough that you almost have the rear wheel in the air. Obviously, better braking occurs with both wheels, but if you're able to get it light, consistently, then you should begin to have a feel for how hard you can really brake.

Always keep your head up and your eyes scanning. Look to where you want to go, check your blind spots and be aware of what's happening. If you know what's going to happen, before it happens, it's less likely that you need to emergency brake.

Also, if you're "cruising," you need to be in the right lane. Drivers get upset when people ride the left lane at barely above the speed limit, myself included. The only time I hang around in the left lane is if I'm on the 401 stuck in traffic. None of us are moving quickly, so no one gets upset at me being there, and I only have to worry about cars from one direction. But as soon as traffic clears out, I'm either doing 130-140 in that left lane passing cars on the right, or I'm in the middle lane, using the left lane only to pass. I usually do the latter.

Finally, on surface streets, I find it pays to be an aggressive rider. Don't start this yet until you get more comfortable, but eventually, you will get to the point where operating your bike is effortless and mostly just muscle memory. I accelerate from traffic lights quickly, making sure to leave the cars behind me. I will get away from other vehicles and make sure that no one is in front of me, or directly beside me. This isn't always possible, but when it is, it makes a big difference in your own safety and comfort. If I have to weave/make quick lane changes, I'll do it, safely, and signaling. And once I'm on my own, I make sure I'm in the right lane.

Heed the advice of others. We're here because we've been through all of the same crap. We want to see you continue riding, not have your name in the fallen riders section. Rubber side down!

Definately not a good idea, imho, in this day and age to "confront" every driver. I think the better idea would be to try and get a license plate number and report the person & incident to the police. *Maybe* receiving a call from the police would "get the message across" more effectively (?)

With only 4 days of riding experience, you need to evaluate your riding style and how you handled this situation.

Cars will cut you off, no matter how much experience you have and/or what you do. It's a fact of riding in the GTA. I've ridden through Jane & Finch on my 250, and it's not anything too out of the ordinary.

Make sure you practice your emergency braking. Go to a parking and get that **** down pat. You need to be able to brake hard enough that you almost have the rear wheel in the air. Obviously, better braking occurs with both wheels, but if you're able to get it light, consistently, then you should begin to have a feel for how hard you can really brake.

Always keep your head up and your eyes scanning. Look to where you want to go, check your blind spots and be aware of what's happening. If you know what's going to happen, before it happens, it's less likely that you need to emergency brake.

Also, if you're "cruising," you need to be in the right lane. Drivers get upset when people ride the left lane at barely above the speed limit, myself included. The only time I hang around in the left lane is if I'm on the 401 stuck in traffic. None of us are moving quickly, so no one gets upset at me being there, and I only have to worry about cars from one direction. But as soon as traffic clears out, I'm either doing 130-140 in that left lane passing cars on the right, or I'm in the middle lane, using the left lane only to pass. I usually do the latter.

Finally, on surface streets, I find it pays to be an aggressive rider. Don't start this yet until you get more comfortable, but eventually, you will get to the point where operating your bike is effortless and mostly just muscle memory. I accelerate from traffic lights quickly, making sure to leave the cars behind me. I will get away from other vehicles and make sure that no one is in front of me, or directly beside me. This isn't always possible, but when it is, it makes a big difference in your own safety and comfort. If I have to weave/make quick lane changes, I'll do it, safely, and signaling. And once I'm on my own, I make sure I'm in the right lane.

Heed the advice of others. We're here because we've been through all of the same crap. We want to see you continue riding, not have your name in the fallen riders section. Rubber side down!

+1 Very, very well said!

Well, i started riding on Saturday august 13th.

Last night i was riding and a car cut me off with about 2 inches between my front wheel and his rear bumper! Scared the S**T out of me. I just slowed down to avoid hitting him, caught up to him at the next red light. Tried to confront the guy and he ignored me. So i just did the next best thing that came to my mind:
beeped my horn, he turned his head towards me and i gave him the :thebirdman:.

That's EXACTLY what happened to me the first time I rode on my bike after my beginner's course. Some here flamed me for being a beginner on a busy road, but seeing that I live at the intersection of 3 busy roads, I didn't have much of a choice.

...i got a pretty good reflective jacket and bag that i was wearing if he by any chance missed my tail light...

Firstly, we are here on this forum to keep you safe, so criticizm is for your benefit. Secondly you must read the book "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough, which goes through road hazards such as city traffic. You will learn a lot and keep you safe from this book. I find it easier to read and learn rather than crash and learn.

Attitude change: No matter that you have right of way, any crash with a car will be bad for you and your bike. You must be smart enough to out-think a driver so that you get to go home with your bike intact, no matter the situation.

If you think that your gear or your bike will be seen by a car, you are wrong. We have all been cut off or hit by drivers that do not see or do not want to see us. Assume you, your bike, you reflective jacket and bag are invisible. If a driver sees you, then this is an added bonus.

Experience would have allowed you to see the driver come up on your rear right and want to cut into your lane. If you did not see him then you need to scan your mirrors more often. You have the option to make room by dropping back and let him merge, or accelerating ahead so he has no possible way to cut you off. You stayed in the middle and almost got run over. Being oblivious like this will land you into a hospital. While you have right of way, you almost paid the price by getting hurt and destroying your bike. A biker in the city needs to anticipate danger and not be there when idiot moves occur. We call this our "spidey sense", which you need to develop.

The next two years will be the most dangerous for you as a new rider. There is a lot to learn. Learning bike skills such as clutch and throttle control are important, but how you handle yourself in traffic is more difficult and imperative to learn.

+1 for "Proficient Motorcycling". And, to add to TorontoBoy's post, always think about an exit route. My only ever accident back in the day was on my FZ600. I was stopped at a red light behind another vehicle and a car rear-ended me. Some on this site have had the presence of mind to pull out of the way in a similar situation and avoid that special kind of pain in the *****. That was expensive tuition.

Never trust other vehicles on the road, keep your mind active on situations that may develop and that'll go a long way to keeping you and your ride safe.

+1 for "Proficient Motorcycling". And, to add to TorontoBoy's post, always think about an exit route. My only ever accident back in the day was on my FZ600. I was stopped at a red light behind another vehicle and a car rear-ended me. Some on this site have had the presence of mind to pull out of the way in a similar situation and avoid that special kind of pain in the *****. That was expensive tuition.

Never trust other vehicles on the road, keep your mind active on situations that may develop and that'll go a long way to keeping you and your ride safe.

Important point. Always keep your eye's moving, even when stopped. I always keep an eye on my rear view mirror when I'm coming to a stop. Never assume. I'm in Vaughan, and there's just too many 17 yo girls yappin' on the phone while driving their moms Escalade.

Back
Top Bottom