New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride) | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider, First bike: Which one??? (Guide to choosing your first ride)

Read a few pages here . I have a female friend 46 about 5'7" . Looking into getting into ridding . I know many people suggest small 250 to 300cc bikes . I am completely out of touch with beginners bikes . Is a SV650 to big as a starter bike ? Is the insurance going to be that much more between the 300cc to the SV650 ?
My bigger concern would be comfort, she's 46, so unless she gets the newer ones, its going to have clipons

As for power, its not the worst bike in the world to start on, many start on a 650, the insurance likely will be higher than a 300, but nothing crazy like a super sport

If she has never ridden before the sv650 might be a bit powerful and large. How about the 250’s, 300’s and 400’s from one of the main manufacturers?
Ninja’s, CBR’s etc. If she is fine with standards or cruisers, the choices open up a fair bit more.
I just don't see that much difference between the the 300 to 650 . Yes it maybe a bit more powerful but I don't think by that much . I just don't want to deal with selling and buying another bike next year .

I just don't see that much difference between the the 300 to 650 . Yes it maybe a bit more powerful but I don't think by that much . I just don't want to deal with selling and buying another bike next year .
A 300 is fun for many years. Peoples egos outgrow them, not their skills. For the difference in insurance, they could probably throw out the 300 so you don't have the hassle of selling it.

A 300 is fun for many years. Peoples egos outgrow them, not their skills. For the difference in insurance, they could probably throw out the 300 so you don't have the hassle of selling it.
They are fantastic to play with . But not for any sort of distance riding . Doing insurance calls tomorrow .

Lol. Things may have changed in 14 years.

Read a few pages here . I have a female friend 46 about 5'7" . Looking into getting into ridding . I know many people suggest small 250 to 300cc bikes . I am completely out of touch with beginners bikes . Is a SV650 to big as a starter bike ? Is the insurance going to be that much more between the 300cc to the SV650 ?

Everyone is different, with varying levels of competence and comfort coming into motorcycling.

I have taught many riders who envisioned themselves buying a huge touring bike or literbike upon completion of the M1 Exit course.

After the course, many of those "big bike dreamers" opted for a much smaller motorcycle after a weekend spent on 125-200cc bikes.

Only a few people followed through on their big bike purchases, and these were people with a high degree of mechanical aptitude and/or experience riding dirt bikes in the past.

My advice would be for your friend to book a weekend course, get her M2 and from there, she can make a much more informed decision on the size of motorcycle she wants to get.

Most of these schools offer different styles of bikes: cruiser, sport-ish, standard, dirt-bike. Advise her to hop on different bikes for each exercise. Pretty much every single student in these courses has a mental image of what they would like to ride before the course even starts. So they never ever switch bikes. But this is the best opportunity to try many different styles of motorcycle, and can either confirm or switch someone's idea of the kind of bike they like or are comfortable on.

Try not to make too many decisions for your friend before she's had a chance to form her own opinion during the course. After the course, you can ask her what style of bike, how comfortable she is with the weight and power of the different bikes she tried, and then offer advice based on that.

Covid will dampen the ability to swap bikes on a course. They'll probably have to be disinfected after every swap.

Don't forget the difference in size and weight between a 650 and a 300. The smaller bike is much easier to manage for a beginner. They're also quick enough to keep up with traffic once you know what you're doing.

Covid will dampen the ability to swap bikes on a course. They'll probably have to be disinfected after every swap.
i wish. yes we do.

Everyone is different, with varying levels of competence and comfort coming into motorcycling.

I have taught many riders who envisioned themselves buying a huge touring bike or literbike upon completion of the M1 Exit course.

After the course, many of those "big bike dreamers" opted for a much smaller motorcycle after a weekend spent on 125-200cc bikes.

Only a few people followed through on their big bike purchases, and these were people with a high degree of mechanical aptitude and/or experience riding dirt bikes in the past.

My advice would be for your friend to book a weekend course, get her M2 and from there, she can make a much more informed decision on the size of motorcycle she wants to get.

Most of these schools offer different styles of bikes: cruiser, sport-ish, standard, dirt-bike. Advise her to hop on different bikes for each exercise. Pretty much every single student in these courses has a mental image of what they would like to ride before the course even starts. So they never ever switch bikes. But this is the best opportunity to try many different styles of motorcycle, and can either confirm or switch someone's idea of the kind of bike they like or are comfortable on.

Try not to make too many decisions for your friend before she's had a chance to form her own opinion during the course. After the course, you can ask her what style of bike, how comfortable she is with the weight and power of the different bikes she tried, and then offer advice based on that.
In the past for new riders I suggested a Honda 400 inline 4 . I just can't recall the model . But they are very scarce now . She is hoping to take a course in May . I know many people to take the course . Buy the bikes they learned on . Only to get disappointed a few weeks later with their choice . But I get what you are saying .

In the past for new riders I suggested a Honda 400 inline 4 . I just can't recall the model . But they are very scarce now . She is hoping to take a course in May . I know many people to take the course . Buy the bikes they learned on . Only to get disappointed a few weeks later with their choice . But I get what you are saying .
That would be a fun bike but hasn't it been many decades since that was sold? A modern 400 twin probably outperforms it by a mile. A 400 single won't sound as good but probably has similar power to the old bike.

If they really want a bigger bike without the insurance, I think Kawi sold a sleeved 650 as a 400 for a while. Kind of dumb as you have all the weight and much less power but should be an easy swap to throw a 650 in it.

The disappointment is from not being able to get the most out of a small bike right away. It's kind of like buying a stick without knowing how to drive stick. At first it's frustrating, some people never get past that. A few years later it's kinda fun to to WOT, while hitting the precise shift points.
edit for here: Big bike you can put it into second and leave it there most, if not all, of the time. Also better to have small when you stop in puddle of slick stuff.

That would be a fun bike but hasn't it been many decades since that was sold? A modern 400 twin probably outperforms it by a mile. A 400 single won't sound as good but probably has similar power to the old bike.

If they really want a bigger bike without the insurance, I think Kawi sold a sleeved 650 as a 400 for a while. Kind of dumb as you have all the weight and much less power but should be an easy swap to throw a 650 in it.
Better to buy a small bike for $2500, keep it for a year or two, and sell it for $2500 unless you like it, if you can still do that.

By that point you have a better understanding of where, when, how, with whom, and what you want to ride, and how much crap you want with you. Once you get to that point, you can pick out a bike that seems more suitable for that endeavour. That's when you can put that extra cash you saved on the first bike to good use. Almost nobody keeps their first bike.

Last edited:
He will be totally uncomfortable on a small bike.

129dc8c8-9306-4dd4-9348-737734acae94

KLR 650 will fit like a glove and insurance should still be cheap. 35"

Docile bike for a new rider and gives him excellent viz.
Contact

Christopher South, R.I.B. (Ont), CIP
Insurance Broker, SurNet Insurance Group Inc.
csouth@surnet.net
P
: 416-546-8969
for insurance ....been really good over the years and he rides.

••••
A Vtec 400 Four not a good bike for a learner. Boosts like a 2 stroke.
honda-cb400sf-22-01.jpg

Great bike tho. 55 HP in a small package. If one came up here at a decent price I'd jump on it. They are near current in Australia
Lots of small twins and singles around 250 and up.
••
my CBF300 only puts out 30 HP by comparison. And it's fine for me for up to 430 km days ....the limit being me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So many factors for a first bike and getting out on the road to ride. From young to old, no experience to country machines with no plates and sliding around on dirt.

Another factor is what is the appeal and inspiration? The smiles from a scooter rental on vacation? Flipping through channels and found the x games? Crazy uncle Charlie with a cig dancing from his bottom lip, bottle of red cap near by while they tell you to blip the throttle while they putz with the idle screw? Saw Obi Wan travelling around and thought that has to be me one day? Aunt Mary tells you to grab some ice from the convenience store for the camper cooler (and her rhum and coke) and use the mini bike as it’s harmless and only have to cross the highway one time there and back. Or a buddy from college rode a bike and looked so cool.

Whatever the inspiration, there is a bike to start on and it’s best to start small power and easy to maneuver over speed and wheelie ability.

Don't know a seasoned Harley Rider that hasn’t mentioned affectionately their first bike(s) being a small Honda, BSA etc.

I think I did more damage to my body from BMX half pipe trick attempts than any motorcycle has. That’s just because I knew what could break from riding peddle power. Something with an engine and gears could only hurt more.

I still eye ball an R3 once in a while. It’s no RZ350 but, I’m not 18 anymore either. Lol. Not to mention I’m a little heavier now. 😉

He will be totally uncomfortable on a small bike.

129dc8c8-9306-4dd4-9348-737734acae94

KLR 650 will fit like a glove and insurance should still be cheap. 35"

Docile bike for a new rider and gives him excellent viz.
Contact

Christopher South, R.I.B. (Ont), CIP
Insurance Broker, SurNet Insurance Group Inc.
csouth@surnet.net
P
: 416-546-8969
for insurance ....been really good over the years and he rides.

••••
A Vtec 400 Four not a good bike for a learner. Boosts like a 2 stroke.
honda-cb400sf-22-01.jpg

Great bike tho. 55 HP in a small package. If one came up here at a decent price I'd jump on it. They are near current in Australia
Lots of small twins and singles around 250 and up.
••
my CBF300 only puts out 30 HP by comparison. And it's fine for me for up to 430 km days ....the limit being me. :rolleyes:
I would be careful on the 08, It was known to burn oil.

Back
Top Bottom