New Pro6 series at Bogie? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Pro6 series at Bogie?

Lots of choices for racing in Ontario next year, which is a good thing. Has VRRA's scheduled been posted yet?

VRRA will announce their schedule at their AGM in a couple of weeks.
If you watched track announcers notebook last night Sheena and Sandy were on talking about the new series.
Classes Pro and Am Superbike, Pro and Am Sportbike, Pro and Am lightweight, and a masters/Open class

The CSBK schedule is firming up.
Round 1 of CSBK will be at Grand Bend June 11-13
Round 2 of CSBK will be at Bogie with Pro6GP July 10-11

The following dates are Speculation by me
Round 3 of CSBK hopefully at Atlantic Motorsport park end of July
Round 4 of CSBK at Canadian Tire Motorsports park August 14-15
Round 5 of CSBK ????

I watched that. Looks like they're planning to run classes generally aligned with the nationals (Pro/Am 600 and Superbike plus a lightweight class (probably Pro and Am on track at the same time) plus an ... erm ... "vintage rider" class, which I'm speculating would be run what you brung.

I'm watching with interest but no commitment, depends how certain things shake out. Not a fan of driving that far and back for a one day event (which would still require an overnight) especially if I can only practically run one class. I understand that it's together with track days. If there's a track day before, that could be used as a practice day, that interests me more, but ... and it's a big but ... for the lightweight race bikes (me), that track day cannot work out as per the last Pro 6 track day that I did (in which I was put into the intermediate group and essentially forbade from overtaking anyone under any circumstances *). That is not happening again. Either lightweight race bikes get their own session (best choice, but it means Pro 6 would be running four groups rather than three), or allowed out in the advanced group (not a fan because of speed difference on straightaways, and I understand that Pro 6 is not a fan, either), or if we are sent out in the intermediate group, *some* sort of allowance is made for overtaking (and I'm not a fan of being out in that group at all). If there's no allowance made for lightweight race bikes, I'm out as far as track days are concerned. If that results in it being a one-day event (because I have no interest in a track day in which I'm placed in the same situation as the last one that I did), then I'm out.

Point 1: at SOAR practice, I go out with the Pro group, and I'm the slowest thing out there, and it has never been a problem ... but that track has nowhere near the speed differences and blind spots that Bogie does.

Point 2: The best track-day rules that I've seen: Instead of our different-rule-for-each-group, only allowed to pass in certain places, etc., the other arrangement was same rules for all groups, do whatever you need to do in terms of passing, but you have to keep 2 metres apart from any other bike. Little did we know at the time (November 2019) how relevant that 2 metre separation from other people would become ...

* The problem is that although I'm technically allowed to overtake on straightaways, with 42 horsepower on tap, that is physically not possible, and the only places where I could overtake (often quite easily and still maintaining 2 metres distance), it's not allowed in the intermediate group. "Just pull into the pits and go back out to get away from the other bikes" - just results in the same situation happening someplace else, frustrating, it meant the whole day was a waste of time, money, tires, and wear and tear. What actually did work, was going out on track first with a few seconds gap to the bigger bikes; if they were able to overtake before corner 5 then that meant they were legitimately faster and were not a problem, but this gap prevented the slower riders on bigger bikes being able to catch up on that straight, and if they didn't make it past by corner 5, they weren't going to. But, this only worked the one time by coincidence. If it were organised to happen that way, it would make for a better experience ...

I'm watching with interest but no commitment, depends how certain things shake out. Not a fan of driving that far and back for a one day event (which would still require an overnight) especially if I can only practically run one class. I understand that it's together with track days. If there's a track day before, that could be used as a practice day, that interests me more,

The schedule isn't combined with a trackday is what i have read on FB.

Not the event itself, but it would be in conjunction with track days before and/or after, e.g. the racing event would be on Saturday and surrounded by track days either before or after (or both).

If the race is on Saturday and there's no track days before, then everyone would be going in with no fresh practice ... can't see that being ideal.

I'm on the fence regardless, for the reasons I explained.

Not the event itself, but it would be in conjunction with track days before and/or after, e.g. the racing event would be on Saturday and surrounded by track days either before or after (or both).

If the race is on Saturday and there's no track days before, then everyone would be going in with no fresh practice ... can't see that being ideal.

I'm on the fence regardless, for the reasons I explained.
I can’t imagine running races at Calabogie without practices. It would be just too dangerous for someone who has never ridden there before to show up and go racing; too many over the crest blind corners.

I feel for you being on an under powered bike and not being able to pass. I run a box-stock 600 in the intermediate group at Calabogie. It’s a rare case when I can out muscle someone down one of the straights, the occasional 300 class bike, or maybe someone shows up on a vintage 400. Pulling through hot lane for a gap rarely yields more than half a clear lap. I have my favoured passing spots, none are long straights.

That being said, for regular track days, they really need to keep the rules as they are now. In the beginner group there are often “first time on a track” riders. They do not need other bikes blasting by them, they’re having a tough enough time, and, this is supposed to be fun. Nor should new riders be expected to know the track and the proper line, at any moment they may be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last year there were a few racers from SOAR on the track, apparently for the first time. It showed. They were placed in the intermediate group. Their bikes were plenty fast, pulled away from me without a problem down the straights. Impossible to pass them; they would fan out going into corners, taking unpredictable lines, braking where I did not expect it. After a couple of near misses, I kept clear of them.

What might work is the plan Pro 6 used at Mospost. Combine the racing with VIP track days. Three groups (possibly more) Big race bikes, small race bikes, VIP riders. (some of the VIP riders have been riding there a while and know their way around the track, wouldn’t hurt to follow a few of them for a session or two) This would avoid the situation of beginners mixing it up with seasoned racers.

I watched that. Looks like they're planning to run classes generally aligned with the nationals (Pro/Am 600 and Superbike plus a lightweight class (probably Pro and Am on track at the same time) plus an ... erm ... "vintage rider" class, which I'm speculating would be run what you brung.

I'm watching with interest but no commitment, depends how certain things shake out. Not a fan of driving that far and back for a one day event (which would still require an overnight) especially if I can only practically run one class. I understand that it's together with track days. If there's a track day before, that could be used as a practice day, that interests me more, but ... and it's a big but ... for the lightweight race bikes (me), that track day cannot work out as per the last Pro 6 track day that I did (in which I was put into the intermediate group and essentially forbade from overtaking anyone under any circumstances *). That is not happening again. Either lightweight race bikes get their own session (best choice, but it means Pro 6 would be running four groups rather than three), or allowed out in the advanced group (not a fan because of speed difference on straightaways, and I understand that Pro 6 is not a fan, either), or if we are sent out in the intermediate group, *some* sort of allowance is made for overtaking (and I'm not a fan of being out in that group at all). If there's no allowance made for lightweight race bikes, I'm out as far as track days are concerned. If that results in it being a one-day event (because I have no interest in a track day in which I'm placed in the same situation as the last one that I did), then I'm out.

Point 1: at SOAR practice, I go out with the Pro group, and I'm the slowest thing out there, and it has never been a problem ... but that track has nowhere near the speed differences and blind spots that Bogie does.

Point 2: The best track-day rules that I've seen: Instead of our different-rule-for-each-group, only allowed to pass in certain places, etc., the other arrangement was same rules for all groups, do whatever you need to do in terms of passing, but you have to keep 2 metres apart from any other bike. Little did we know at the time (November 2019) how relevant that 2 metre separation from other people would become ...

* The problem is that although I'm technically allowed to overtake on straightaways, with 42 horsepower on tap, that is physically not possible, and the only places where I could overtake (often quite easily and still maintaining 2 metres distance), it's not allowed in the intermediate group. "Just pull into the pits and go back out to get away from the other bikes" - just results in the same situation happening someplace else, frustrating, it meant the whole day was a waste of time, money, tires, and wear and tear. What actually did work, was going out on track first with a few seconds gap to the bigger bikes; if they were able to overtake before corner 5 then that meant they were legitimately faster and were not a problem, but this gap prevented the slower riders on bigger bikes being able to catch up on that straight, and if they didn't make it past by corner 5, they weren't going to. But, this only worked the one time by coincidence. If it were organised to happen that way, it would make for a better experience ...
There will be trackdays the day before and the day after the Pro6GP events. And perhaps a 2 hour racer only Practice time on the Friday evening from 5-7.
I have done yellow group at Bogie and Mosport on my R3 a couple of times. I guess I was lucky because it was only on one or two occasions where I got stuck and even then I managed to pass on the outside eventually.

Passing on the outside implies passing in a corner and that's forbidden. For me to ever do another Pro 6 track day, something has to change.

Great track. Should be fun. I raced a GPZ there in Endurance 3 or 4 years ago when the VRRA had their first outing. Loved it

My only concern is that the racing community in Ontario is quite small. It may possibly dilute and/or cannibalise SOAR and RACE. (I assume RACE and SOAR are still going)

Can you sustain 3 series + CSBK in Ontario??? I wonder if there are any overlapping events?

Great track. Should be fun. I raced a GPZ there in Endurance 3 or 4 years ago when the VRRA had their first outing. Loved it

My only concern is that the racing community in Ontario is quite small. It may possibly dilute and/or cannibalise SOAR and RACE. (I assume RACE and SOAR are still going)

Can you sustain 3 series + CSBK in Ontario??? I wonder if there are any overlapping events?
How many people come to Bogie from QC? It's closer for most of them than it is for ON people.

How many people come to Bogie from QC? It's closer for most of them than it is for ON people.

I was only there for VRRA events and I know they have a sizeable membership from Quebec that show up at all events regardless of location.

The location is certainly better for the modern Quebecois folks who probably wouldn't make the trip to Grand Bend.

This new series has one schedule conflict with SOAR. The VRRA has little cross-participation with any modern-bike series. This new regional series is in conjunction with the nationals ... they'll be ok. Don't know about Shannonville SuperSeries.

Oh boy. Shannonville SuperSeries round 3 conflicts with the combined CSBK + this new series on 10-11 July, and the last round of this new series conflicts with SuperSeries round 5 in September.

That's making a statement.

I don't follow any MC racing but watch when I can.
BRIAN p- this like a CART vs INDY "making a statement"?
Pissing contest of who is racing vs where?
Like you have gotta pick the series you want to race in?

Oh boy. Shannonville SuperSeries round 3 conflicts with the combined CSBK + this new series on 10-11 July, and the last round of this new series conflicts with SuperSeries round 5 in September.

That's making a statement.

Surprised it took you that long to see it.

Back
Top Bottom